CB (Caribbean Princess) SUSHI

Seasons

I can't elaborate because I don't like sushi, but they served it quite often on the CB cruise we were on. It was on the menu in the dining room and in the Cafe Caribe, sometimes at night and also at lunch. It seemed to be a big hit - at least with my husband and the others I noticed.

Hello, Seasons.

I don't want to burst your balloon, but I don't think the sushi on the Caribbean Princess is high quality. I'm not exactly a connoisseur, but I do enjoy the salmon and ahi tuna. This is usually what I order at a sushi restaurant and the only items that I had on the ship. I had a few pieces of each and would consider them "fair" (a little dry).

When I was getting some sushi one afternoon on the CB, another passenger told me that most of the spread was not "real sushi" due to health concerns about serving raw fish and the inherent risks of contamination. Yuck! Evidently she had inquired about it and this is what she was told. The "California roll" selections, for example, had no seafood in them. This is secondhand information, at best, and I can't be certain that it's true.

I think sushi might be offered daily in Cafe Caribe, but I'm not sure. I only stopped by once when I saw other people with it on deck near the pool.

I'll look forward to your report when you return from your cruise.

Bon Voyage!

Chris

Thanks, Monk. I'd really like to hear about the quality. Looks can be deceiving! But the variety looks decent, though I don't see my favorite: unagi!

My DW, born and bred Japanese, says the sushi on Grand was not edible. The rice was a gluey compost suitable only for wall spackle.

Thanks, guys. From the pics Monk posted it looked like mostly sake (salmon) and maguro (tuna)...and a lot of other California stuff (i.e. not sushi, imo).

Sake is one of my favorites, but the fish has to be absolutely fresh (no matter what type you prefer). I don't understand how "dry" fish happens, but I've seen it too. It made me think of defrosted fish, sometimes it can look dry, but when pressed it's like pressing on a sponge and water comes out.

I will give it a try. But there's nothing that spoils even California sushi like overcooked messy not seasoned correctly rice.

I'll make it a point to report back.

I can understand that it's probably a cost concern as well as a health concern regarding carrying a large/quality selection of raw fish. Maybe this will change in the future as more and more people in America are eating actual sushi and sashimi.

I've never been on Princess, but it appears they charge for items like higher grade ice-cream/pastries/coffees, etc. I wouldn't mind paying for decent sushi either a la carte, or pre-packaged.

Celebrity has real sushi daily on some of their larger ships. We were on the Constellation last summer, and stopped for a sushi appetizer just about every evening. It was better than grocery store quality, not as good as sushi bar, though. And it was real, and some interesting combos.

I was just on the CB and they did have "California" sushi at a couple lunches in the Caribe Cafe. There were no raw selections, just cooked crab, shrimp, and salmon and as previous posters mentioned, the rice was very gummy. Not the best place for sushi -- but I can certainly understand their concerns about not wanting to serve raw fish on the ship!

Thanks for the input. If the rice is going to be that bad, they should just save the money and remove this offering. It's not that hard to get the rice right, but I guess it's much easier to get it wrong.

I'll still make a trip to try it for myself.

Maybe it pleases enough people and the visual presentation is good for the effect. I see people buy sushi all the time at places like Costco or grocery stores. That stuff is nowhere near edible to me, nor is almost all sushi at buffets (including fancy ones like at Bellagio or Wynn in Las Vegas). But, I see people happily scarf that stuff down.

I guess it just depends on how picky you are about sushi. From my experience, I come in with zero expectations. I'll only pick up a piece or two to test. That way, if I find it atrocious, I didn't waste much and can happily move on to the other foods. No disappointment since I didn't expect anything. If it is edible, then I'm pleasantly surprised.

I use the same trick when going to see movies. Go in with low expectations and try and laugh how bad it is. That way, I'm rarely disappointed by a movie and can have fun even when others come out being horribly disappointed cuz they went in with high hopes.

I've always enjoyed the sushi I've had on cruises, but sushi connoisseurs are regularly brutal on the ship board stuff so there must be some truth to where cruise line rice and fish on the sushi totem pole.

I imagine given the strong asian presence in the crew it not quite as bad as the connoisseurs state (but the crew probably wrangles the best, freshest, fish and rice - there's got to be a perk for that level of grind). I suppose its like grocery store Fetzer compared to high end wines for those in the know.

I'm not a connoisseur of sushi, for me, the edibleness really resides in the texture of the rice, not so much the taste of it (i.e. the right bit of rice wine vinegar).

The Costco/Bj's/Sam's Club sushi I've seen is a pre-packaged kind where it's sent from a distribution place, and if left too long the rice gets all yucky as well.

If you think about it, california type sushi is basic filling that quality isn't an issue with when compared to raw fish (unless the avocado is brown/black) in comparison, so it's really all in the rice.

If the rice is overcooked and pasty...it's like a mushy blob. I've had sushi where the fish is absolutely fresh (I only get it on the days I know the fish is delivered), but the rice was mushy and it was all just gross so I ended up eating it as sashimi.

• 2 weeks later...
My DW, born and bred Japanese, says the sushi on Grand was not edible. The rice was a gluey compost suitable only for wall spackle.

Chris,

Per your request, I'm reporting in on the Sushi situation on CB. The above quote is REALLY quite accurate. If you've ever had Japanese/chinese "mochi" the sushi rice on CB comes pretty close. Mochi is glutinous rice that's been mashed to form a sticky goop which is then filled with something sweet and formed into balls of dessert.

I took three of the little pieces, which I thought was daikon (japanese radish), but it was egg.

Regards,

Lisa

Archived