Below Deck on Bravo - 2nd season Tuesday Aug 12

true45

Don't know how I could have missed this series last year since I'm so interested in everything about cruising. Used the search feature and there are a few threads but don't remember reading any on the Celebrity board or the lines I tend to read.

Tried to find the Princess ITV series but didn't have access (only UK availability) -- talked about on the Princess Board.

Curious if anyone has comments about Below Deck. The repeats are being shown Tuesday during the day -- I set my DVR.

Linda

I saw the first season. It is NOT about cruising. It is nothing more than staged reality TV about young people who are staff aboard a private yacht in the Caribbean. Their behavior was atrocious and if that is what you get from staff when spending five figures or more to lease a yacht then I would not be parting with my money (assuming I had that kind of spare shekels) to a charter any time soon.

They spent the majority of the time bad mouthing their clients and seeking new and inventive ways of getting out of working all while bickering with each other laced with profanity and nudity. The most appalling thing to me was hearing them bad mouth the clients. ANY wealthy person leasing a yacht is paying for not only the luxury but professionalism from the crew and discretion. Given how they publicly disparaged their clients why ANYONE would lease that yacht or hire them is beyond me.

Oh, and I forgot. They complained vociferously about the tips they received as though they had actually done a good job not even above and beyond.

It is nothing more than trash TV do not waste your time.

I saw the first season. It is NOT about cruising. It is nothing more than staged reality TV about young people who are staff aboard a private yacht in the Caribbean. Their behavior was atrocious and if that is what you get from staff when spending five figures or more to lease a yacht then I would not be parting with my money (assuming I had that kind of spare shekels) to a charter any time soon.

They spent the majority of the time bad mouthing their clients and seeking new and inventive ways of getting out of working all while bickering with each other laced with profanity and nudity. The most appalling thing to me was hearing them bad mouth the clients. ANY wealthy person leasing a yacht is paying for not only the luxury but professionalism from the crew and discretion. Given how they publicly disparaged their clients why ANYONE would lease that yacht or hire them is beyond me.

Oh, and I forgot. They complained vociferously about the tips they received as though they had actually done a good job not even above and beyond.

It is nothing more than trash TV do not waste your time.

I couldn't have said it better. I watched part of two episodes of the first season, and quickly decided to not bother with it again. This is low class TV. It certainly isn't something of interest to serious cruisers. Just watch the promos for a good idea of what you will endure if you watch it. http://www.bravotv.com/below-deck

Edited by boogs

I couldn't have said it better. I watched part of two episodes of the first season, and quickly decided to not bother with it again. This is low class TV. It certainly isn't something of interest to serious cruisers. Just watch the promos for a good idea of what you will endure if you watch it. http://www.bravotv.com/below-deck

The ENTIRE production had to be staged. I am certain they basically offered unknown actors/actresses a free vacation on a luxury yacht if they agreed to be portrayed as the uppity obnoxious wealthy guests on the yacht. Based on the final show where they said the crew had all moved on most to non-yachting jobs I am certain they were paid to be the disgruntled crew members for the season as well.

The whole thing was contrived and an insult to the intelligence. I only caught most of it due to a marathon airing, a bout with the flu (Nyquil makes anything seem like a good idea) and an inability to locate the remote for most of the day. SIGH

Yes, they do "hire" the crew as they have to all be American Citizens in order to be filmed by Bravo. Just like major cruise lines, most of the crew on these yachts are not American Citizens. So they have to kick off the regular crew and staff it with the ones they hire. Some of them have experience in working on boats/ships/yachts and some of them don't.

Come on guys! Reality shows are the same as sitcoms,mindless entertainment. They are funny . I like the current location of Below Deck as it is in the BVI. I get a kick out of seeing this group of silliness Descend on some of my favorite ports.