celebrity versus carnaval for people who did both?

irkutsk

we are debating for cristmas galaxy panama canal or carnaval valor or conquest. Never sail carnaval before. sail celebrity millenium, rci explorer and radiance and holland zuiderdam and zaandam. our now 16 y old sail with us on all those ships. we like to go to panama canal but galaxy seems has a bad rap on celebrity board and 6 days at sea on 12 days cruise seems a bit much. any suggestions? thank you

We've sailed Carnival, Princess, Celebrity RCL and we keep returning to Carnival. My husband and I are 50 and 43 and our son is 13. If the Celebrity ship is leaving from South florida (Miami Ft Lauderdale) it will be loaded with retirees.

Neither of us are party animals, but we like the general atmosphere on Carnival and our son has been crazy about it since he was 6.

My family has done both and Celebrity is far superior in food and sevice.

If you like a more extravagant ship, go with Carnival. Carnival's food is just OK compared to Celebrity's food which is outstanding. Yet, I have met people who feel the opposite because they love the new larger ships. Celebrity's ships tend to be smaller, older and more quaint.

Because we love Celebrity so much, we haven't used Carnival in a few years.

However, we are booked on the Carnival Liberty in September and will let you know how it was. We booked this trip with Carnival because it is a brand ship and we got an excellent pre-shipbuiding price. I'm sure it will be great either way.

ML

We also have done both Celebrity and Carnival multiple times and like both. We also have sailed with HAL, RCL and NCL. We have not been on the Galaxy so I can not comment on it. However, I have noticed that the negative reviews tend to get more notice on these boards than the positive ones.

Yes, Celebrity is superior in terms of food and service, but it also tends to have a more formal atmosphere which some people like and others do not. They are very fifferent experiences. Carnival is more like RCL than HAL for example. I would also suggest that Carnival might be better for your teenager.

We like days at sea, but I would not go on a cruise that is 50% at sea if you do not.

Actually we sailed on the Galaxy to the South Caribbean and it was very nice. I don't know why it has a bad rap at all. In fact, we loved the cruise and rated it the best out of the 5 we sailed.

Carnival has a more party type of atmosphere so your teen might like it better. But my kids, (all teens at the time) love Celebrity too. It's a tough call. My 21 yr old just took her first cruise without us last March and she chose Celebrity so go figure!

Just the fact that you are going to the Panama Canal, any cruiseline would probably have more retirees than say, the Caribbean or Bermuda. Hope that helps.

We sailed the Galaxy- different itinery, and thought it was the best out of the 12 we had done before it. We have always enjoyed carnival though. It depends what you want. Carnival is more of a Fun ship, and is apt to have more kids your son's age. They also usually have an excellent kids program. It's Christmas time so both ships should have a good mix of people, although, the Panama Canal will probably attract an older crowd with less kids. Also, the long time at sea may get boring for your son. I'm sure you'll have a great time no matter which you choose! LOL and have Fun!

DH and I both like to party (we are both 50). We like Celebrity but love Carnival. The food is good on both, each has their specialties. Celebrity seems to roll up the carpet after the last show where Carnival stays "awake" later into the night. Just mho.

We sailed on the Galaxy last Christmas for an 11 day Panama Canal itinerary. Because of the holiday, there were plenty of children, but not to the point of it being a problem. The kids program was in full operation. Celebrity does have some nice surprises and special touches for Christmas.

Galaxy's food is good, but not nearly as fantastic as on the Horizon. Some on board said the food was actually inferior to RCL, which I can neither affirm or deny. RCL's food is OK, as is the food on the Galaxy. Nothing to really complain about. However, the food on the Horizon is something to rave about.

The Galaxy is a bit "tired" and therefore probably wouldn't be as attractive as the newer Carnival ships.

Nonetheless, both Celebrity and Carnival put out a very good, although very different product. I wouldn't hesitate to go on either sailing.

I have sailed both Celebrity and Carnival. If you had asked me a year or two ago, I would have, without hesitation, recommended Celebrity. Better food, service, more refined atmosphere and cruisers, less drinking. However, my last two cruises on Carnival have been excellent. I think Carnival has been working hard on improving food and service and as a result they are attracting a more diverse crowd. My friends recently sailed with my husband and myself on the Spirit. They wanted to sail Celebrity (their preferred line). I persuaded them to sail Carnival and they were very satisfied (much to my relief). I found the entertainment on Carnival to be much better than Celebrity, the atmosphere more lively- the atomosphere on Celebrity is definitely more sedate and dignified, and the rooms bigger - which is important when you are three in a room. Also, when sailing with my kids, I like Carnival as I think they seem to attract families. Not that Celebrity doesn't attract families too but when I sailed Celebrity, the crowd was a bit older and there were less families and teens. So it is really up to you. I don't think you can go wrong with either line.

Archived