Passport Renewels

atdahop

Looked mine up. All mine says is processing and taking 4-6 weeks. Did reenter my email address so I will now supposedly get updates by email.

Pooh

Pooh, I still have same response as yours when I look up specifics. Still just says 4-6 weeks. Re-Entered email address for updates... No update yet. Sent passports in the 2nd week of July. Thanks all, for feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have a collection of old passports from the first time I had one.....73 years ago. They are fond remembrances of travel to countries that no longer exist and of ships and airplanes that treated you pretty dar special....also 3 day, 2 nights trips across the pond before jets......good memories...

I have a collection of old passports from the first time I had one.....73 years ago. They are fond remembrances of travel to countries that no longer exist and of ships and airplanes that treated you pretty dar special....also 3 day, 2 nights trips across the pond before jets......good memories...

That is really cool. I am so glad they send the old ones back. I love looking back through mine and recalling all the places we've been.

My father loved to travel. I was recently getting Mom's passport out, and found his last passport. I looked over all the stamps, and it really made me smile, just to see how much he had gotten to travel. It was his favorite thing to do. So, it was a nice reminder. I'll be keeping that one forever!

I had to do ours last year and thanks to the fact I didn't realize ours had expired I had to expedite them. Sent both in the same express mail envelope and got both back in 8 calendar days complete with old passports.

Thats excellent that you got them back that quick.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/processing-times.html

I, like Avalon, submitted my renewal the 2nd week of July and have confirmation of receipt and the check was cashed in 4 days.

I had no idea until I just looked that you can actually track the progress of your renewal and register your email address for status notifications.

To be specific,

I mailed from post office, July 14, Received by National Passport Center July 16, my check cashed on July 18. My current status is "In final stages" and expected delivery is Aug 18. Seems exactly as I expected.

PS...No special expedite, normal process

YAY!!!! My mail lady just handed me my new passport. So the answer is

4 Weeks

just another reminder, when you receive your new passport you need to call Princess to give them the new passport number and new dates. You can not change to the new information by using your Princess cruise personalizer. When you call Princess they will do the change from the old to the new passport info which will show up on your cruise personalizer in a few minutes after your call.

We received our new passport in about 5 weeks,the old one a week later.

just another reminder, when you receive your new passport you need to call Princess to give them the new passport number and new dates. You can not change to the new information by using your Princess cruise personalizer. When you call Princess they will do the change from the old to the new passport info which will show up on your cruise personalizer in a few minutes after your call.

We received our new passport in about 5 weeks,the old one a week later.

I went from here right to my Princess cruise personalizer and put it all in. It never let me put it in to begin with because it detected the expiration issue. I suspect that if the passport info had been entered was still valid before a renewal or perhaps if yours was lost you likely would have to have it changed by calling Princess. Thanks for the reminder, though :)

I knew my passport still had over a year left on it, but did not realize until a few weeks ago that I had only one page left. I needed it back quickly due to the need to obtain a China visa for travel in two weeks.

I applied for a renewal thinking I could get it back in 4 weeks, allowing time to get the visa, but then there was news of processing delays and I panicked. I called the status phone line and they doubted I would get the passport in time and talked me into paying for expedited service ($75)

I got the new passport back within 36 hours after I called them.

So, you can go ahead and do regular processing and if something arises and need the passport quicker you can call and pay them to push the magic button and get it back right away.

As an update. We sent passports in 2nd week of July. We received email this AM.

We did pay for overnight delivery for return of passport. If we actually receive it as stated, it would be 4 weeks.

Email:

"You paid for overnight delivery. This means you should receive your passport on or about 08/17/2014."

Thanks to those folks for posting links for update emails and other info. When they say 4-6 weeks that is what they mean. For a renewal once every ten years, next time I will use expedite and pay the difference.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

When they say 4-6 weeks that is what they mean. For a renewal once every ten years, next time I will use expedite and pay the difference.

I am confused.

Why would you spend an extra $100 or so knowing that the renewal will be back in a month?

Mike:)

I applied for renewal the first week of July and received it within 3 weeks, no expediting fees paid. The old, cancelled passport was received a few days after that. I agree with Laughing Husky - it's fun to look at the old passports (but not so much the younger photos!). Was able to go into Princess Personalizer and change my old passport data to the new without difficulty.

Smooth sailing!

I am confused.

Why would you spend an extra $100 or so knowing that the renewal will be back in a month?

We did NOT know it would be back in a month...why do you think I posted the question in the first place? We were at the over the month mark when I first posted. The system had a problem this past month after we sent it in ... I posted that link...there was no confirmation about schedules. Sort of a black hole. On another board, someone has been waiting since June 18. People in the past were commenting how they received their passports in 3 weeks or less. Not the case currently. And it says 4-6 weeks....could be 2 months. If you can wait ...fine. If, like us, you travel and mail is not always delivered properly, you can't sit around and "hope" you get it mailed to you. Furthermoe, all the update email would say was ....Wait 4-6 weeks...,there was NO status information until the very last email.

So, again, let me thank those folks who provided CONSTRUCTIVE information like tracking links, tel. nums, etc.

Several of us had posted before that we had gotten ours back in 3-4 weeks.

Maybe you didn't read the beginning of the thread?

In any case maybe you can relax now.

Yes, actually I did read those posts, but the passport/visa data base issue occurred in July. That is why I asked. Actually , it is still not physically in my hands just an email update. Will relax when I have it. :)

Has anyone had any recent experience getting a renewel? I was wondering how long it takes to get it back? Do they send the old one back with the new one or does it come back before you get the new one?

Thanks

I just renewed my kids' passports. I did one in May and one in July. Both took about 5-6 weeks to come. My son's old passport arrived about a week after his new one but my daughter's both came on the same day.

Yes, actually I did read those posts, but the passport/visa data base issue occurred in July. That is why I asked. Actually , it is still not physically in my hands just an email update. Will relax when I have it. :)

That article was referring to the consulate database. The glitch seems to only impact those born outside of the US. I'm sure they have corrected it by now.

I sent ours off on July 31st, check cleared my bank of August 6, and got an email on August 7th saying the application had been received and was being processed. They said it would be 4 - 6 weeks processing time so I'm giving it until September 11th before I start worrying. If I get it back sooner, I'll be very happy. Don't really need it until October 13th.

Here was a quote from July 25 WSJ article. It did say that passports were still within the 4-6 week timeframe. Good news. But, apparently, not just Visas were affected. This thread started out by folks asking who had recent experience with the passport process around this timeframe when this happened. It has been stated on these boards in the past that people had received them in about a 3 week timeframe . Kind of the level set I expected as I found people here provide pretty good info. Mine is taking about 5 weeks and that was not expedited but with overnite mail each way. This was simply an FYI for those who had asked about recent timeframe experience .

From July 25 WSJ article :

"The spokeswoman said visa processing was hit hardest by the computer problem. Passports continue to issued “well within” the standard four- to six-week standard set for approval time, she said, adding that the Bureau of Consular Affairs also continues to issue emergency passports.

The State Department hasn’t identified the root cause of the malfunction ....,

The system has experienced performance problems, including outages, since Saturday, the spokeswoman said. The data base was brought back online Wednesday afternoon, but the system continues to operate at significantly reduced capacity and will continue to do so until a backlog of documents is clear."

I mailed my old passport back on August 4th, requesting expedited service and overnight mail return. Once I learned from you fine people that I could check online and they'd actually e-mail me (!!!), I tried that. Yesterday (8/14) I received an e-mail advising me that "we have finished processing your passport, and it has been mailed to you. You should receive it on or about 8/17." Today (8/15), I received an e-mail advising me "we have finished processing your passport, and it has been printed." I DO hope they printed it first before they mailed it. :eek: I'll let you know what arrives. :D

For those who have recently been on the roundtrip cruises to Hawaii that dock outside Enseneda. Mexico for a day...

My passport is expiring in March 2015... my roundtrip cruise to Hawaii doesn't start until April 29...

I don't really want to pay $110 for a passport that I'll never use again (I don't intend to travel outside the US anymore...)

So, can I spend $30 to get a passport card, so that I can sit on the boat while everyone else visits Enseneda on the one day we'll be there (I have no intention of going in to the town) or should I really get a passport to be on the safe side?

Edited by OrganizedTraveler

That article was referring to the consulate database. The glitch seems to only impact those born outside of the US. I'm sure they have corrected it by now.

I sent ours off on July 31st, check cleared my bank of August 6, and got an email on August 7th saying the application had been received and was being processed. They said it would be 4 - 6 weeks processing time so I'm giving it until September 11th before I start worrying. If I get it back sooner, I'll be very happy. Don't really need it until October 13th.

My DH renewed his before the glitch and it took 4 weeks. I didn't know how severe that glitch was, but it is interesting that it only impacted those born outside the US.

For those who have recently been on the roundtrip cruises to Hawaii that dock outside Enseneda. Mexico for a day...

My passport is expiring in March 2015... my roundtrip cruise to Hawaii doesn't start until April 29...

I don't really want to pay $110 for a passport that I'll never use again (I don't intend to travel outside the US anymore...)

So, can I spend $30 to get a passport card, so that I can sit on the boat while everyone else visits Enseneda on the one day we'll be there (I have no intention of going in to the town) or should I really get a passport to be on the safe side?

Personally, I would check with the US Department of State / Bureau of Consulate Affairs.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/story/2014-08-13/tony-stewart-accident-future-kevin-ward-death-family-reaction-michigan-race-sprint-cup?eadid=outbrain

Edited by Love.II.Cruise