Disney Dining/Wonder Questions

cruisinlover1414

My family and I are looking at taking a Disney Alaska cruise next summer aboard the wonder. First, any advice or good things to say about this cruise? :)

My real question is- in the dining rooms (the rotational dining rooms) do people dress up? We have only taken Royal Caribbean and Carnival cruises, where many people wear dresses even on casual nights. Is this seen on the disney ships too?

We really enjoy dressing up on all nights, even if it is a casual short dress and heels. This may be a silly question, but it really is a deal breaker for us. We don't want to be the only ones dressing up.

Thanks for all your help in advance! I appreciate all your advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is less dressing up than in past years and the shorter the cruise. the more casual.

That said, many women wear a nice dress every night..j.ust fancier on formal/semi nights. Other people wear jeans every night. No matter which end of the spectrum you are on, you'll have many others doing the same.

we always dress business casual for dinners. we never walk into a dining room wearing what we wore all day. I am not sure if shorts are even allowed in the dining rooms or not.

we also gear it toward which restaurant we are in. Animator's and Parrot Cay (there is a new name of some ships) are the most casual. The French mid-ship we dress up a bit more. Palo's and Remy's, the most dressy. (if you walk into Palo's for bruch wearing shorts, they will make you leave and change into pants. my friend was dressed in very expensive silk shorts and dress shirt and they still made him go change)

Formal night doesn't mean suit and ties and long dresses as much as it used to in years past. It is at your discretion. I will say, seeing all the famlies dressed up is really nice.

we always dress business casual for dinners. we never walk into a dining room wearing what we wore all day. I am not sure if shorts are even allowed in the dining rooms or not.

we also gear it toward which restaurant we are in. Animator's and Parrot Cay (there is a new name of some ships) are the most casual. The French mid-ship we dress up a bit more. Palo's and Remy's, the most dressy. (if you walk into Palo's for bruch wearing shorts, they will make you leave and change into pants. my friend was dressed in very expensive silk shorts and dress shirt and they still made him go change)

Formal night doesn't mean suit and ties and long dresses as much as it used to in years past. It is at your discretion. I will say, seeing all the famlies dressed up is really nice.

The only "dress code" in the Main Dining Rooms on DCL is "no swimwear or tank tops for dinner". Beyond that you'll see pretty much anything on any night (including formal night).

DCL took away the "no shorts" part about 6-8 months ago.

The dress code.

Q:

What should I wear to dinner?

A:

The dress code for dinner varies by the venue or theme night of your cruise. In general, most meals are "cruise casual"—no swimwear or tank tops. Most cruises also have special theme nights with optional opportunities to get dressed up for a special family photo. Here's a breakdown of events by cruise itinerary:

On 3-night cruises:

•One cruise casual night—No swimwear or tank tops

•One pirate or tropical night (deck party)

•One "optional dress-up night"—jacket for men, dress or pantsuit for women

On 4-night cruises:

•First night is cruise casual—no swimwear or tank tops

•One pirate or tropical night (deck party)

•One optional dress-up night—jacket for men, and dress or pantsuit for women

•Final night is cruise casual—no swimwear or tank tops

On 7-night cruises:

•First night is cruise casual—no swimwear or tank tops

•One themed night (pirate, tropical or other themed deck party)

•3 additional cruise casual nights—no swimwear or tank tops

•One formal and one semi-formal night—two great opportunities to dress-up and take advantage of the onboard photography services. Though optional, we recommend: Dress pants with a jacket or a suit for men, and dress or pantsuit for women

Dress code at Palo:

•Men: Dress pants and dress shirt (a jacket is optional)

•Women: Dress or pantsuit

•No jeans, shorts, capri pants, flip-flops or tennis shoes

Dress code at Remy:

•Men: Dress pants with jacket (sports or suit jacket) is required—ties are optional.

•Women: A dress, cocktail dress, pantsuit or skirt/blouse is required

•No jeans, shorts, capri pants, flip-flops or tennis shoes

On my recent Med cruise everyone was smartly dressed in the MDRs and a lot put extra effort in to look nice. Each cruise has it's own personality and different make up of cruisers, and month by month, year by year it changes, it's relaxed a bit over the years but still a reasonable number dress up. It's not just a cut and paste of the rules, but expierance from actually being on recent cruises.

I disagree you see everything every night, most follow the recommended theme only a few a very few stick out.

Edited by DISNEY FANTASY

I disagree you see everything every night, most follow the recommended theme only a few a very few stick out.

It depends on the cruise. On the European and the longer cruises, people do seem to make more of an effort to follow the "suggested attire" guidelines and look presentable. Like you, most would not think of going to dinner in the clothes we wore all day.

On the more routine cruises, especially the 3 and 4 night cruises, you see a lot less dressing up and a lot more "nobody is going to tell me what to wear on MY vacation" attitude. And we've seen some absolutely awful attire in the dining rooms! But....not at my table, and I'm not going to let what someone else is wearing spoil my cruise.