Recommendations

pedinurse55

Harv and Marv whale watching, great experience, been whale watching MANY times here in Southern CA and the is no comparsion, small boats and great guides bring you so close you can hear them breathing.

Maybe because California operators follow federal guidelines that stress whale watches should always attempt to stay at least 100 yards away from a whale?

Wow Shepp nice snarky comments are running rampant here lately. Wouldn't it be better to give people the benefit of the doubt wouldn't it?

In answer to your comment, I am very well aware of that and the regulations involved to protect whales. It is the size of the boat and how quiet it is in Alaska, no huge diesel engine...closer to the whales level in the water that makes the experience MUCH more like the tours in Scammon's lagoon in Baja and up close and personal.

Taku Lodge float plane- DH and I did this the last time wanting to cross off flying in an Alaskan float plane off our bucket lists. The trip was pricey but we still talk about it often. The salmon is to die for delicious and we bear-watched a mama bear and her cub (from a safe distance) while the salmon was cooking. The lodge is old and full of Alaskan charm. Flying over the glaciers and ice fields to get there gave you a sense of how vast Alaska really is.

This was one of our best excursions ever!

I agree it was amazing, of course the bear watching helped too! It was neat the way they wait for the BBQ to be finished and then come eat the sand wasn't it? We went over a year ago, I wonder if that fellow finished his log cabin? Was really very interesting to hear how he was building it, and the process involved. It was an amazing location and I freely admit I would have happily stayed there to fish and relax... it was gorgeous!

Makes me want to try another fly-in wilderness lodge, but they are oh so pricey.