Breakaway baggage question

Sponge4God

How many walk on bags are permitted? And if we are driving to the port, there is no luggage weight restriction correct? I know we like to pack our swim suits and one more outfit incase the luggage takes a while to get to our room. Thanks everyone

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Forums mobile app

From NCL's FAQs:

How many suitcases can I bring?

Each person is allowed up to two pieces of personal luggage on board, with each piece weighing a maximum of 50 pounds. However, if passengers are traveling by air, they need to check with the airline for specific restrictions.

This is their published, official policy. However, I have never heard of anyone being prohibited from taking on more than two bags. I believe the policy is in place just in case NCL needs to point to something if someone tries to abuse the policy (e.g., trying to use the ship to transport a dozen foot lockers in a move from one port to another). Furthermore, the weight limit is probably in place simply to protect the baggage handlers from workplace injuries.

Lastly, if you're considering taking more than 100 pounds per person onto the ship, I would say that you're overpacking.

We just drove to pier and all our bags were over weight.

You should have used an extra bag and lightened the load per bag. I'm sure you weren't intending it but overweight bags could give a baggage handler a hernia. That's the main reason for a weight limit IMO.

The NCL FAQ is a humorous lie. They don't weigh the bags...there are no facilities to do so. You hand your bags over to a porter (whose is not an NCL employee) at the pier who then sends them on their way.

Nor do they count the number of bags you bring. They published the phony weight limits in a somewhat understandable attempt to make life easier for their shipboard baggage handlers, but it's not enforceable or enforced. As I recall when this was first published in their FAQs, NCL admitted it was just mimicking typical airline rules.

Edited by njhorseman