Receiving a cell phone call while on board?

pampaul

I'll be on the Sky from Aug 18-Aug 21.

I will need to receive a phone call on my cell phone on the last day (we'll be at Great Stirrup Cay) around 9:00 am.

I have Verizon. I'm just wondering if there is decent service and will be able to hear the call well (important call) and also I would need to know how expensive this call is going to run me. Do I find out from Verizon somehow? Or will there be ship charges?

last year I was in Alaska on the Sun and before the cruise asked Verizon-they said that if within 12 miles of shore they would not charge extra since Alaska is usa but that if on the ship (and it depends on the cruise line)

some have been known to charge up to 5.00 a minute-dk if cust svc rep was correct since we did not use the phone on the ship

Generally, calls are 2.59 per minute. I have only received one call (we were out to sea at the time) and the reception was horrible.

Verizon offers a "cruise" rate. Call them to see if the pricing works for you.

Be sure to turn off your data while on the ship, otherwise you end up with a tremendous bill as your email, etc., continuously try to update.

last year I was in Alaska on the Sun and before the cruise asked Verizon-they said that if within 12 miles of shore they would not charge extra since Alaska is usa but that if on the ship (and it depends on the cruise line)

some have been known to charge up to 5.00 a minute-dk if cust svc rep was correct since we did not use the phone on the ship

DO NOT RELY ON THIS INFORMATION.

They should and usually turn off the onboard towers when near shore (distance will vary). Actual connections between your phone and the ships tower will vary widely. Depending on where you are on the ship you could connect to ships tower or shore towers.

It will always say on your phone who you are connected to. While on the ship, it is $2.49 per minute for calls using your phone, in or out on your cell phone. It works just like making a call at home. The call will be billed on your cell bill at home. The ship does have an option for calls using their phones, but that costs even more.

Ashore, the rates vary by country and sometimes you need to dial slightly different.

Edited by garycarla

I will need to receive a phone call on my cell phone on the last day (we'll be at Great Stirrup Cay) around 9:00 am.

I have Verizon. I'm just wondering if there is decent service and will be able to hear the call well (important call) and also I would need to know how expensive this call is going to run me. Do I find out from Verizon somehow? Or will there be ship charges?

As far as I know, Great Stirrup Cay is a private use island and there are no communities nearby. At best, you can probably pick up the ship's cell service from somewhere on the island although the quality may be less than right on the ship. You should check at the customer service desk to try to get an answer.

If the call is really important, I would wait on the ship until I take the call and go the the island afterwards to meet up with family/friends.

There is no Verizon coverage on Great Stirrup Cay. You will be limited to the ship's own cell coverage, assuming they leave it on while in that port. Voice calls are $2.49 per minute using your Verizon phone on the cruise ship. You can find more info about the ports specific to your trip and your particular phone here: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/tripplanner/tripplannercontroller

Another option is to have them call your stateroom. The call will be charged to the calling party, but you might end up with a better connection since you're going direct from the satellite to the room as opposed to also going through their cell tower.

Call quality is/was lousy and if you are not on the ship, it probably won't work at all. If the call is that important, call them back from the stateroom phone or rent a satellite phone and forward your cell to it.

• 2 weeks later...