Do You Bring A 2 Year Old

We are cruising with our 2 year old next month and are bringing Grandparents along with us. They will have a cabin right next to ours and have already volunteered to watch our little guy so we can have time alone. We have travelled some with our child already and he has eaten in lots on restaurants so he behaves pretty well. As long as you know that you can't do everything that you might normally do you will be fine. Someone recommended that you do one thing in each port (shopping or excursion, but not both) and that way your toddler wont get too overwhelmed or exhausted. I plan on taking a nap in the afternoon just like he does so I won't be too exhausted as well :)

Our little guy is going to have a great time because he's with his parents and grandparents....that's all that matters!

i think I am taking your advise. I can't be without her for overnight=. I am crazy but I just love being a mom and wish Icould have more. After I find a new husband I may

Thanks for writing in

Does anyone ever think so stay home until their child is older. The best place for a young child is at home WITH the parents. My parents never took us on vacation or did they ever go without us till we were older. I did the same with my daughter - waited till she was older.

Does anyone ever think so stay home until their child is older. The best place for a young child is at home WITH the parents. My parents never took us on vacation or did they ever go without us till we were older. I did the same with my daughter - waited till she was older.

The best place for you and your daughter may have been at home.

When I was growing up, we travelled extensively (only way to see the relatives among other reasons). It was an important part of my childhood.

My daughter is now nearly 10 and she has been in eight countries and 23 states. She has travelled with us since she was an infant (actually even before that!).

I have a hard time with the folks who leave their kids home, but that's just me - I don't expect them to change to adhere to my beliefs. And I won't change to adhere to your beliefs - but thanks for sharing.

My daughter is now nearly 10 and she has been in eight countries and 23 states. She has travelled with us since she was an infant (actually even before that!).

I have a hard time with the folks who leave their kids home, but that's just me - I don't expect them to change to adhere to my beliefs. And I won't change to adhere to your beliefs - but thanks for sharing.

My kids haven't traveled quite as much yet, but maybe by the time they are as old as yours DD. My son is 2.5 and my Daughter 14 months. My son took his first cruise when he was 14 months (and I was pregnant), it was a great vacation for everyone.

We'll be taking our next family vacation in November. I do believe it's an individual family thing....everyone is different. Personally, I don't mind having to go to the cabin during naps. That's why we got a AFT JS, so while kiddies are napping we'll be enjoying our balconey.

I agree with your statement about beliefs too. :)

People today don't give up their fun, just because they have babies. We did it though. When we had kids, the first thing we thought about was saving enough money to put them through college. I guess we did the wrong thing by our kids. I didn't work when my kids were little, I thought raising them was more important than vacationing. Maybe we were just poor and I resent the people here that have more money than sense. Color me, jealous.

We just returned from Alaska (Serenade) on July 31st sailing. We took our 2 girls; 2 and 6. It wasn't our choice to take them as this cruise was a gift from our inlaws. I wasn't looking forward to cruising with the 2yr old as she couldn't participate in AO. Well - the cruise was wonderful and we really did enjoy ourselves. Of course there were some things we couldn't do like dinner by ourselves, enjoy the thermal suite, etc. but we knew that b4 we went as we've cruised before. Our girls can stay up pretty late so they went to every show. At dinner if my youngest was sleeping we'd just put her in a stroller and take her to the dining room.

Royal Caribbean does have the Fisher Price program daily for those under 3. My husband took our 2 year old one morning but after 10 minutes she was bored. She's a few days from being 3 so I guess this program was too "young" for her!

Decide how you want to spend your cruise then see if taking your child will fit into it. Happy cruising!

People today don't give up their fun, just because they have babies. We did it though. When we had kids, the first thing we thought about was saving enough money to put them through college. I guess we did the wrong thing by our kids. I didn't work when my kids were little, I thought raising them was more important than vacationing. Maybe we were just poor and I resent the people here that have more money than sense. Color me, jealous.

You didn't do wrong by your kids. You did what you thought was best for you and yours. That's all any of us can do. We just don't all agree on what's best. College is certainly important. If we had to chose between the two, college would win out. Happy sailing! :D

Should we all start crying for you now. :(

Because I was 30 when I finally married we already had those things worked out. Houses, cars, financial planner, investments, Roth IRAs. Then we ended up with a baby a couple of years later. Now we have a 529(b) for him.

We came into all of this prepared and anything beyond that is great.

Luckily I had parents who exposed me to all kinds of experiences,vacations, and piqued my interest in just about everything.

Our son went camping and boating at 4 weeks old. He has been everywhere. We camp and we stay in nice hotels as well. We go out on our boat for hours at a time. He's happy that he has people to socialize with.

He will be on our cruise in October. We will be sitting at dinner with our in-laws during the main seating. My son will be babysat by my sister, her husband, and 2 children. Then we will be babysitting their children while they go to dinner. We have no tenative plans to go to any of the shows. We'll leave that for both sets of grandparents.

Therefore, there will be no children in the dining rooms or the shows from our group.

What will my son enjoy? What won't he! People! People! People! I have never seen a more social child who just loves to be around other people as much as my son. He'll have grandparents, aunts and uncles, and cousins who will play with him and dote on him.

We continued our active lifestyle that we had prior to our son's birth. We wanted to make sure that he knows the world does not revolve around him.

At the same time his needs are always well met.

We are an extremely laid back and easy-going family though. Our son is just as easy-going and laid back and very easy to please.

I can understand that if you have a "high needs" child that it might not be the best idea to take them on the cruise.

These decisions need to be made on a case by case basis.

3 years ago i sailed with my dd 3 and 6 years old. 3 was not a bad age. potty trained, able to go in the pool, thankfully not a picky eater and not on a strict schedule, she was very adaptable. although she was old enough to go to the kids program she deceided that she absolutely would not. so she stayed with me at the pool and had a ball. i went on that cruise thinking she would spend time in camp and i would get a break which i did not but we still had fun. we just cruised with a 2 year old in our group. and the only advice i would give is go prepared to miss out on some a activities. bingo and shows are ususally an hour long which may be difficult if they are not in the mood to sit still. i luckily had my mom with us last time and then again this time so i was able to go out a few nights, which was a blessing. They also have an aqua tots program that you can take them to, my nephew enjoyed it.

Archived