Rome Shore Excursion - Vision of the Seas

Severus

I am tempted to book a shore excursion called "Exclusive, Best of Rome", the price is $350 per person and I wonder if this is a good option. If somebody here participated on this excursion and would like to share the experience I would greatly appreciate it.

Overview of the excursion from Royal Caribbean page

"See the essential sights of the Italian capital in a smaller group, limited to 26 guests per vehicle. At the Vatican, you'll tour St. Peter's Basilica and the museums, including the Sistine Chapel painted by Michelangelo. Visit the massive Colosseum amphitheater, site of ancient Roman spectacles, and admire the Baroque splendor of the Trevi Fountain. Relax on a commentated panoramic drive that will showcase key monuments and landmarks, and enjoy lunch at a 5-star venue."

26 people on a bus isn't my idea of "exclusive." For that kind of money, you could hire a private car and driver, maybe even a guide, for two of you- it's usually around 450-500 Euros for up to 8 people. The five star lunch would be extra, though.;)

The sights are the same ones you would see on the 50-person bus - unless it included something like the Scavi tour under the Vatican, it doesn't look very special to me.

If you have a Roll Call for your cruise, check there to see if anybody wants to join you. Also visit the ports of call threads for suggestions on companies to use. The really small groups are IMO the only way to go - the operators all know that their livelihood depends on providing a good product and getting you back to the ship on time. Happy hunting!:)

I thought the same but the only reason why I am considering this option is based on the web video about the excursion. RC claim faster access to the sites and they will provide the tickets for all the sites so you don't waste time standing in line to purchase the tickets at the different sites. Thanks for your thoughts

We used romeinlimo for three tours when we did the Italian Med. They were fantastic. Very professional and knowledgeable. We saw so much more than we would of done had we done a ships tour also, so much cheaper. If there are not enough people on your roll call to fill a van, you can always share a tour thru' romeinlimo.

romeinlimo arrange all your entry tickets also.

http://www.romeinlimotoursharing.com/

Here are some discussions regarding romeinlimo here on CC.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=986987

BTW, a big welcome to Cruise Critic.

Edited by AnDeNo.UK

Another vote for Rome In Limo. We loved this company. Had a private car in both Rome and Florence. We posted on our roll call and we had a party of 7. Very comfortable cars and knowledgeable drivers. We didn't even have to wait in any lines for entrance as this was all taken care of ahead of time. We wouldn't hesitate to book with them again should we be so lucky to cruise Europe again.

We used romeinlimo for three tours when we did the Italian Med. They were fantastic. Very professional and knowledgeable. We saw so much more than we would of done had we done a ships tour also, so much cheaper. If there are not enough people on your roll call to fill a van, you can always share a tour thru' romeinlimo.

I checked the website and the cost from them is 220 euros per person for 2 (thats great!) but do not include the vatican or coliseum tickets, I wonder how the whole thing works because they ask for the time of the tour I wonder if that is the disembarkation time of the ship? Also they recommend to pre book the tickets online for 2pm at the vatican. I have been in 6 cruises so far but this is my first med/Italy cruise and there is so much to plan is not even funny. Thanks for the info!

Contact Rome in Limo or Bob's Limo. Their drivers know Rome like the back of your hand and are familiar with what times they can have you there, what time you'll leave, ect. I can absolutely guarantee you that they will beat the ship's excursion. We booked private and beat the ship's excursion every place we went. When they tell you what time, if they aren't furnishing the advance tickets, you can get them online. We did our tickets online. They'll help you get the right times, etc. The port in Civitavecchia is easy to get off the ship and the drivers are waiting for you with a sign with your name. They scoot you into their cars and you are off to Rome. They get you to the places you want to go, you'll have your tickets in hand. As for the 5-star lunch, there are so many places in Rome to have a great lunch and with 26 people in your group, it's going to take longer than it will take you to get lunch for 2-4 people. Bathrooms in Rome? There's a line at teh restroom in every restaurant. Imagine being in line with 26 others or being in line with 2. Going with a private excursion on your own is the only way to go. They will not fail to get you to the ship on time either.

Thanks for the welcome, everybody here is so helpfull and friendly. Thanks!

Yes the price is high, we did this tour about 8 years ago, it was our first time in Europe, didn't know if we would be back and this cruise was special for us.

Our tour had 21 people and we were in a small mini van. Our stay in Rome was about 7 hours. No waiting in any lines, had a private guided tour of the Vatican, Sistine Chapel and the Basilica, amazing, I was in awe. I believe we were here for about 4 hours, you can spend days there.

Our lunch was at the Grand Hotel Flora (Marriott), which was good. Next stop was Trevi Fountain, spent 30 mins here and then on to the Colosseum for another guided tour. Our tour guide was excellent! For us, it was well worth the money.

Fell in love with Europe and booked the same cruise the following year, did *Rome On Your Own* that time, both were on Brilliance.

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

Yes the price is high, we did this tour about 8 years ago, it was our first time in Europe, didn't know if we would be back and this cruise was special for us.

Our tour had 21 people and we were in a small mini van. Our stay in Rome was about 7 hours. No waiting in any lines, had a private guided tour of the Vatican, Sistine Chapel and the Basilica, amazing, I was in awe. I believe we were here for about 4 hours, you can spend days there.

Our lunch was at the Grand Hotel Flora (Marriott), which was good. Next stop was Trevi Fountain, spent 30 mins here and then on to the Colosseum for another guided tour. Our tour guide was excellent! For us, it was well worth the money.

Fell in love with Europe and booked the same cruise the following year, did *Rome On Your Own* that time, both were on Brilliance.

I was looking for the other obtions mentioned earlier and its about $800 for a private car/driver/guide minus the tickets; for 2 guest. The ship tour is 700 for 2 including everything, so I am inclined to do the private tour but I am open to options, Thanks for the info Life!

Edited by Severus

This may help. http://www.stefanorometours.com/tours/romedayfromcivitavecchia/. It will give a basis for comparison and very useful information. I have used this company before with great reliability and success.

With either excursion you are trying to see a lot in one day. You will see it but it will be quick.

thank you TheMediaman !

Do a private tour! You will see so much more and for less money. It is easy to make arrangements for tickets before you go and it will often cost less when you book online. Private companies will also tailor the tour to your wishes.

As an aside.... there are many wonderful things to see within about a 10-15 minute walk of Trevi fountain. The Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona and the Pantheon are just a few. What a shame to be right there and not see those places!!!

Whatever you do, MAKE SURE your tours include skip-the-line. My wife and I honeymooned in Italy last year (not a cruise) and we had skip the line passes everywhere we went. The only places we went where you really didn't need Skip the Line passes were Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps (they're both in the open) and the Pantheon in Rome (the wait for places like the Coliseum if you didn't have a pass were upwards of an hour or more), Il Duomo and the Baptistery in Florence (though the wait to take the stairs to the top of the dome was about 30 mins), and St. Mark's Basillica & the Doge's Palace in Venice. If you're planning on going anywhere else, you need the pass, or you're going to be spending most of your time waiting in lines.

Whatever you do, MAKE SURE your tours include skip-the-line. My wife and I honeymooned in Italy last year (not a cruise) and we had skip the line passes everywhere we went. The only places we went where you really didn't need Skip the Line passes were Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps (they're both in the open) and the Pantheon in Rome (the wait for places like the Coliseum if you didn't have a pass were upwards of an hour or more), Il Duomo and the Baptistery in Florence (though the wait to take the stairs to the top of the dome was about 30 mins), and St. Mark's Basillica & the Doge's Palace in Venice. If you're planning on going anywhere else, you need the pass, or you're going to be spending most of your time waiting in lines.

wow thank you guys for sharing all of these details !!!!

Just wondering when you are doing this, my son has just returned from the Med and did this cruise. They did the Rome excursion with RCI and said it was amazing. The only problem was the Trevi fountain is being restored and it will take upto a year. There is no water in it and there is scaffolding all around it. RCI forgot to tell them this so they did get a partial refund.

Just wondering when you are doing this, my son has just returned from the Med and did this cruise. They did the Rome excursion with RCI and said it was amazing. The only problem was the Trevi fountain is being restored and it will take upto a year. There is no water in it and there is scaffolding all around it. RCI forgot to tell them this so they did get a partial refund.

The cruise sails on June 2015, I hope its restored by then. Thanks

What's their opinion on the ship? I know that Vision of the Seas was recently restored in 2013 I am just curious. Thanks once again!

If you decide to go with Rome In Limo, purchase your tickets/vouchers online before you go. The driver will collect your prepaid tickets and he/she will make the arrangements for your party to go to the front of the line and get you right in. We did not wait at all. When I saw the lines at the Vatican I thought we were going to be waiting a long, long time. Not so, we walked right in.

The above poster was correct. The driver will ask you what you would like to see. In Florence we just happened to mention we wanted gelato and the driver took us to a wonderful gelato shop. It's a very personal experience as opposed to a bus full of tourists.