Earliest flight you have had out of Ft Lauderdale and made it???

crazyboutdisney

The key word here is "no issue". People are saying they made it, but there is no guarantee there won't be one. As much as waiting in an airport stinks, I'd not like the pressure of an early flight. It also would depend on how soon the next flight would be.

Did you have any trouble getting an early disembark position?? Do you think self assist would be better? Our friends want to book a 950 flight and that scares me! I dont want to end my vacation worrying about making a flight

I think 950 Is Way too early. The security lines at Fort Lauderdale airport are ridiculously slow. I would probably try to book the next one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had a 9:45am, Jet Blue flight for our Oasis cruise. Did the self assist and was off the ship at 6:15. Jumped in a cab (they are lined up in the parking lot) and made it to the airport by 6:45. (airport is only 10 or 15 minutes away).

Would I do it again? NEVER EVER EVER. Soooo stressful and there are too many things that can go wrong.

Our last cruise took us over an hour to get through the security line. We had a noon flight and made it just in the nick of time....to find out our flight was delayed another half an hour. Which was our time to actually breathe again.

Did you have any trouble getting an early disembark position?? Do you think self assist would be better? Our friends want to book a 950 flight and that scares me! I dont want to end my vacation worrying about making a flight

I would not book a flight that early :) I'm now thinking my 12:10 pm flight is early!

Sent from my phone. Typos are inevitable.

If anything goes wrong you'll be flying standby until you get a flight. If you book an extremely early flight, even if you have no problems, you'll probably have the thought of that in the back of your mind for the entire cruise. Why stress yourself? The cruise lines recommend no earlier than 12 for a reason.

We had a 9:45am, Jet Blue flight for our Oasis cruise. Did the self assist and was off the ship at 6:15..

Even though the Oasis/Allure are twice the size of the Conquest, they are notorious for having some of the fastest, most efficient debarkations (a product of ship and terminal design). I couldn't believe how amazingly quick we got off the Allure!

To the OP: We made it to FLL airport in time for a 9:30am flight when we sailed on the Carnival Liberty. BUT I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND IT! We had to be the first ones off the ship. Literally, we were among the first 10 people to get off the ship, doing Platinum self-assist, with all of our luggage in hand. We had a friend waiting for us right outside the terminal to whisk us to the airport, we bypassed the airline counter and went straight to the gate, and I was in my airline uniform (I'm a pilot) specifically to expedite going through airport security. We made it to the gate with just a few minutes to spare for that 9:30am flight. The only reason why I pushed to get on that early flight was because I had to go to work that day, otherwise I would've not tried it. Literally, I spent the last 24 hours of the cruise worrying about all the what if's, making sure that we were up at 5:00am, and that everything aligned perfectly. But if we'd encountered the smallest hiccup, we would've missed that flight.

But NO, under normal circumstances I would not try such an early flight. You'll spend the last few precious hours of your vacation worried, you may not make it, and worse of all, if you do miss your flight, your insurance will not cover ANY OF YOUR ADDED EXPENSES (rebooking fees, higher, last minute airfare, and other incidentals) since you booked a flight outside of the cruise line's guidelines. You're on your own. If you do decide to book such an early flight, have backup plans and enough money to cover them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

I think 950 Is Way too early. The security lines at Fort Lauderdale airport are ridiculously slow. I would probably try to book the next one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree the earliest I arrived at FLL was 8:45 am and when through security at 9:10 am that was when everything went perfect, 9:50 am is too early if there is traffic you are out of luck or if the ship is late getting to POM

Gary

Edited by Shipbound

Thank you!! These comments are just what I need to convince our friends that a 950 flight is NOT a good idea!! I already knew they dont recommend before noon and I really dont want to be worried about missing a flight :)

Honestly, if you're doing self assist or have priority disembarkation, you shouldn't have any issue when sailing out of Fort Lauderdale to get to FLL in time for a 9:50a flight, especially if you have Global Entry or qualify for PreCheck. The airport is only a couple of blocks away from the port and many have been through security and at their gate earlier than that when sailing out of Miami and flying from FLL.

I would probably go ahead with the 9:50 flight, considering when sailing from Fort Lauderdale, I've made it home between 8:00 and 8:45am every single time and we don't normally use self-assist disembarkation.

I would probably go ahead with the 9:50 flight, considering when sailing from Fort Lauderdale, I've made it home between 8:00 and 8:45am .

So, if after you got to your house in Boca at 8:45am, you had to stand in line at an airline check in counter to drop your bags off, then go through a security checkpoint on a busy Saturday or Sunday morning, and still leave enough time to be at the gate 30 minutes prior to departure, would you still consider good advice to tell someone to take a 9:50am flight? :confused: Easy to say that when it's not your money.

Edited by Tapi

So, if after you drove to your house in Boca and got there at 8:45am, you had to stand in line at a check in counter to drop your bags off, then go through a security checkpoint on a busy Saturday or Sunday morning, and leave enough time to be at the gate 30 minutes prior to departure, do you think that it's good advice to tell someone to take a 9:50am flight? :confused: Easy to say that when it's not your money.

In my situation, I probably would book a flight at that time. Having Sky Priority, Global Entry and the occasional member of my party traveling with a TWIK card, I think that would be more than enough time to drop off bags (after using online check-in), go through security and get to the gate in time for preboarding when the gate lice are starting to line up. It takes me about 20-30 minutes to drive home after a cruise, depending on traffic, after we get to the car and exit the parking garage.

Having said that, I have had to fly up to NY the day of disembarkation once and had a flight scheduled at 10:50 on Delta. I was there in plenty of time with no worries.

Edit: I'd sooner do this than choose a flight with a 40 minute layover in Atlanta.

Edited by Disconnections

In my situation, I probably would book a flight at that time. Having Sky Priority, Global Entry and the occasional member of my party traveling with a TWIK card.

Unfortunately for the VAST majority of passengers, Sky Priority, Global Entry, or a TWIK card are only enjoyed by a select few, as evidenced by the long lines at the regular security checkpoint. So while you're breezing through to your 9:50am flight, the OP might be stuck in security.

Although you may be a savvy traveler with added perks, not every traveler is. You need to think about that before you give ill-advice that may cost somone hundreds of dollars.

Unfortunately for the VAST majority of passengers, Sky Priority, Global Entry, or a TWIK card are only enjoyed by a select few, as evidenced by the long lines at the regular security checkpoint. So while you're breezing through to your 9:50am flight, the OP might be stuck in security.

Although you may be a savvy traveler with added perks, not every traveler is. You need to think about that before you give ill-advice that may cost somone hundreds of dollars.

As the OP is sailing out of Fort Lauderdale, they really shouldn't have any issue making the flight. If they're off the ship and through customs by 7:45, they can be at the airport in less than ten minutes. Checking in online/confirming the amount of checked baggage and printing your boarding pass will require the guest to only need to drop off the bags and go through security. They can drop the bags off with Skycap or at the counter and go through security.

Even without having priority or GE/PreCheck, I think it would be plenty of time if they are the first off the ship. You made it up from Miami in time. That's a little further away, no?

Edited by Disconnections

My wife and I have PreCheck but on our last flight to/from MCO, we had to go through the full security line. So, just because you have it does not guarantee you will get it for that flight.

Our last cruise we were off the ship by 720am and could have easily made a 950 flight. However, if the ship is late coming into port or there is a customs issue when trying to get off, you can be in trouble. If you have the option to get an 1130 or 1200 flight, you will be less stressed; though you may be sitting a while in the airport if you are early. Other thing you can do if early is see if you can get on an earlier flight when you get to the ticket counter to check your bags.

You made it up from Miami in time. That's a little further away, no?

I'm an Airline Pilot. I run through airports for a living. I don't check bags, I know where to go and how to get there quickly. Even knowing what I was doing, and even having my own perks to get to the front of the line at security, we were within minutes of having the boarding door shut on us. So, that's why I say that it's ill adviced to recommend a flight that early, specially to someone who may not be as experienced with air travel.

When I'm working a flight, almost always there are no-show passengers who checked in but who couldn't make it to the gate. It's extremely common. And that's how all those standby passengers get on a flight that's oversold. Because the airlines know that there will always be someone cutting it too close and who will not make it.

Edited by Tapi

carnival breeze is sailing out of MIAmi and you are flying out of FLL.

Allow at least 45 minutes for travel time.

]and if you are doing the shared ride== allow more time

Edited by serene56

My wife and I have PreCheck but on our last flight to/from MCO, we had to go through the full security line. So, just because you have it does not guarantee you will get it for that flight.

Our last cruise we were off the ship by 720am and could have easily made a 950 flight. However, if the ship is late coming into port or there is a customs issue when trying to get off, you can be in trouble. If you have the option to get an 1130 or 1200 flight, you will be less stressed; though you may be sitting a while in the airport if you are early. Other thing you can do if early is see if you can get on an earlier flight when you get to the ticket counter to check your bags.

Yes, that is some of my concern.....if the ship arrives late or an issue with customs. And we dont have any of the express luxuries. We are just average ole travelers :)