Is there a season more prone to floods/droughts?

LiseD

I have read on this board about issues with river cruises due to either flooding or low river levels. Is there a time of year where you are more at risk for this? I am thinking about "hurricane season" in the Caribbean. I know there is no hurricane season on the river.....but..... Is there a "season" that puts you more at risk for water conditions interfering with your cruise?

so this is more related to rain fall....not say....snow melting in spring? Some places in the world do have "rainy seasons" so guess just wondering if it is like that? I know here in the mountains of NC we get a lot more rain in the spring then in the fall.

In the old days, flooding on the Danube would occur in the Spring, when the snow melted in and April shows, lower levels would be in July / August.

These days, noone can predict when flooding / low water levels will happen, at the veary least upto a 7 / 10 forecats.

Because of climatic changes, less snow is falling in the Apls, so this now has little effect on levels. Low depressons and rain are now the main culprit.

The next flood of the century is sure to happen, already had two since 2000 (in 20002 and 2013).

Seems like lack of snow, and snow melt led to low water levels this Spring . . .

That may be for the German rivers, but heavy rains in June/July caused lots of flooding of the French rivers. There were problems with the Saone around the Lyon area while we were there. ( We made it thru but several Viking ships had problems).

Difficult to predict yearly weather patterns....

By the title of this thread, I'm going to assume that you are asking these questions as a way of trying to avoid having your river cruise interrupted or cancelled.

If you are trying to avoid intruptions there are MANY more factors then weather you need to be aware of. Our recent Danube cruise was interupted because of a broken lock. There are also labour disputes with lock staff. As well as mechanical issues with boats, my cousin just got a call this morning about changes to thier Danube Cruise because of engine issues. There are also problems with barges getting gounded or hitting bridges and closing sections of river. This list could go on, and on

It does seems like there are alot more frequency in the problems and disruptions of river crusing these day, or we are becoming more aware of them.

You just need to be aware of ALL the potential for problems before booking and be willing to take your risks.