Review of NCL Sun Vancouver-Alaska Glacier Bay cruise 8/4/14

pokerpro5

I am doing the southbound out of whittier in July. Giving my daughter and son in law this cruise with us as a gift. I am making a cruisebook for them and I am trying to get copies of the freestyle dailies for this cruise. THEY BOTH HAVE NOT CRUISED.

My son in law thinks that cruising may be boring. HAHAHA. he has no idea so I thought of adding freestyle dailies in their book. Her birthday is in a week so I am pushing to get this done. Anyone can help?

thanks all.........

On another note I loved the review by pokerpro as I thought it was informative and helped me a lot. Thanks for it. I think we all should remember that no one has to take the time to review and it is a blessing that cruisers that do reviews HELP US ALL.....thanks again for the review.

• 1 month later...
Pokerpro, thanks for the great review.

We are booked in an Aft Balcony on the Sun Sept 5, 2016 and looking forward to our cruise.

What was the weather like? Your cruise was a month ahead of ours.

What did you do for tours/excursions for the ports.

I found some private tours that are a little cheaper than the ship's excursions.

We want to do the train in Skagway.

Hi, and sorry for the delayed response. Fortunately you still have another 16 months until you cruise.

To answer your questions:

Weather was good for our cruise. Days were in the 60s. No rain, even though it was forecasted.

Was cold on the balcony sometimes when the ship was moving, but was REALLY glad we had the balcony.

Regarding ports:

Ketchikan: We spent a whole $4 while in port, but had a good time. Walked to see the salmon ladder (free), then took a city bus to Totem Bight State Park, which was $2 per person (free for kids). Admission to the park was free. Would recommend doing this. Has a nice little rainforest walk, interesting, non-gimmicky totems, and some cool tidepools off to the side.

Juneau: Rented a car, went to Mendenhall Glacier, then drove north up route 7. Would VERY MUCH RECOMMEND the drive up the 7, as there are almost no tourists, and it's beautiful. You can even find a few beach spots where you will have the place to yourself, as well as some neat hikes off the side of the road.

Skagway: Rented a car. I found this gives you more freedom than the train, and is cheaper. You see basically the same thing scenery-wise. If you do rent a car, one "hidden gem" towards the end of the drive is Lewis Lake. Beautiful, and almost nobody is there. Just be sure to find out where it is (it's past Emerald Lake), and don't be intimidated by the narrow dirt road. Take it down until you see what kind of looks like a parking area. Don't bother driving all the way to Whitehorse, there's not much to see there.

• 1 month later...

Transportation is available from Whittier or Seward for people getting on or off in either port - I use Seward Bus line which also picks up or drops in Whittier - must also say Do NOt miss the wildlife refuge for $15 more - see everyone going on the Sun on the 24th - Have many NCL cruises among my 50 cruises to date and can answer a lot of questions about the Alaskan ports. Be up front for time spent through Icy Strait Point and again thru Tracy Arm. Last week about 40 whales seen in Tracy Arm in a four hour period.

Skagway: Rented a car. I found this gives you more freedom than the train, and is cheaper. You see basically the same thing scenery-wise. If you do rent a car, one "hidden gem" towards the end of the drive is Lewis Lake. Beautiful, and almost nobody is there. Just be sure to find out where it is (it's past Emerald Lake), and don't be intimidated by the narrow dirt road. Take it down until you see what kind of looks like a parking area. Don't bother driving all the way to Whitehorse, there's not much to see there.

I would agree entirely with this ... we pre-booked an Avis car for 8:00am and it all went very smoothly - great drive up and back the Klondike Highway.

In Ketchikan we took the (fairly expensive) Misty Fjord boat-trip, and it was nice, but not really spectacular.

In Juneau we just caught a $10.00 shuttle bus up to the Mendenhall Glacier and that was very good - wasn't aware of the nice options on Hwy 7 with a rental car, and would probably have done so if we were ... not a lot in Juneau.

Edited by Cargill