Wi-fi Internet on the Epic

suspaul

Would appreciate any first hand info on using Skype on my iPhone or iPad. We'll be on the Epic in September, 7 night Barcelona to Barcelona and I'm wondering what my chances are of getting thru on Skype. When I read info on the Internet package there is mention of Skype not supported but I seem to have read on an earlier post that Skype was used. I don't want to purchase a package if I can't use to Skype to keep in touch with family back in the US.

Last year we were on a British Isles cruise with Princess and I was able to Skype, using their Internet when in port.

Thanks in advance for any information, clarification or help.

Skype access is not allowed. With the standard satellite internet that's currently in use on most ships, just two people using Skype would kill the internet connection for everyone else.

http://www.ncl.com/about/staying-connected-sea-internet-access

Q: Can I access Skype or view streaming video onboard?

A: No, these services are limited due to bandwidth consumption issues.

Edited by Illyria

In port, you weren't using the ship's internet.

How can you tell? Even though OP talked about Princess, we have used internet in port onboard NCL ships several times, it's usually a lot faster when majority of other passengers are on shore.

My wife and I were just on that cruise. We did use FAcetime. It worked somewhat. totally depended on how many users both from official ship use and cruisers were useing it. It did work most time. On Facetime I did use the audio only version sometimes.

Steve

My wife and I were just on that cruise. We did use FAcetime. It worked somewhat. totally depended on how many users both from official ship use and cruisers were useing it. It did work most time. On Facetime I did use the audio only version sometimes.

Steve

Thanks for the info - have used Facetime on other cruises - but sometimes 'connecting' did take quite a while so I had to give up.

Does the Epic still have the internet 'minutes' plan or new 'MB' plan? If old plan any talk of when they might switch over?

Edited by Froufie

Froufie, I think they're using the old plan, didn't see the much less expensive plan that's been noted as a "trial run" on another ship :(.

We don't plan to use my iPad/iPhone extensively but mainly want to keep in touch with my elderly Mom back in the States. May just rely on finding wi-fi when in port to check in with her.