U.S. Civil War Museum location in St. George

cgal

Greetings,

Was reading a post earlier and saw mention of a Civil War Museum in St. George. I tried looking in my guide book and online but was not able to locate one. Did read that The Bermuda National Trust Museum had some Civil War information on one of the confederate officers that stayed in Bermuda during the war. Does anyone know if this does indeed refer to the U.S. Civil War and is this the museum in reference or is there another Civil War museum? Just got back from Antietam and Gettysburg, and would love to hit another related spot this summer as I am a small Civil War buff.

Thanks all for reading and any information/thoughts.

Bermuda was a station for Confederates smuggling supplies past the blockade during the Civil War. I don't know if there is a separate museum on this in St. Georges but you can ask at a tourist bureau when you arrive. The smuggling activity was centered around St. Georges.

Also found a book on it while searching the net, I don't know if it is available here or not.

Frank Vandiver, Confederate Blockade Running through Bermuda, 1861–1865 (Austin: Univ. of Texas Press, 1947)

Thanks! I couldn't find it at our libraries, but will keep my eye out at the museums and bookstores in Bermuda. Also found that one of the Civil War Ships is below the waters off of Bermuda, might see if we can afford (time and $) the snorkel tour out to it.

Thank-you again :)

Thanks! I couldn't find it at our libraries, but will keep my eye out at the museums and bookstores in Bermuda. Also found that one of the Civil War Ships is below the waters off of Bermuda, might see if we can afford (time and $) the snorkel tour out to it.

Thank-you again :)

We snorkled on this ship. Actualy I believe there is more than one, Civil war ship. You can easily get to it. Its part of the "two ship dive"...One the wooden one is a World war sinking(the one with the morphine vials) and the other is the Civil Way one- a iron ship---yes I know this sounds backward but it isn't. Great snorkle easy in beautiful water...

That is good to hear about it being an easy snorkel-I am going to learn on this trip :) Did read about the WWII ship being wooden and it is thought it might have hit the Civil War Ship and that is why is sunk nearby. Thanks for the info :)

Situated across from St Peter's is the Globe Hotel. It was built in 1699 and houses the fascinating National Trust Museum. The museum documents Bermuda's role in the US Civil War when St George enjoyed unprecedented wealth from helping the southern states run the northern naval blockade.

Address: 32 Duke of York Street; Telephone: (441) 297 1423; Transport: Buses 1, 3, 10 or 11; Opening time: Museum: Monday to Saturday 10am to 4pm; Admission: Museum: $4 (adults), $2 (children)

When we visited there about 3 years ago, our DSIL who is employed by the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond VA really wanted to see this place. We all enjoyed the history exhibits and the museum attendant who was there that morning.

everything in St Georges is walkable.

Thanks so much Bell Ringer! Just added all that info to our St. George guide so hopefully we'll get to it, am sure we will. We're docked in St. G so will be nice to have much to do w/in walking distance.

Archived