FYI Rule 240

stellalimelight

Since many people experiences delays to/from cruise, I want to share airline rule 240 as a tool for travelling.

Airlines will compensate you for anything but weather act of god,war ,which is out of their control. I used to work for an airline, back in the days when they tried a little harder. Let me tell you how to get rebooked on a different flight, even if it is a different airline. Its called rule 240.

What's rule 240? It's airline code for a travel secret that could get you in the air while others are grounded. If your flight is cancelled or delayed for any reason other than weather, rule 240 says airlines should put you on the next available flight on any airline at no extra charge. The airlines except possibly Southwest (they do things different) all except this rule. When the airlines use Rule 240, it is an agreement between the carriers that they will accept other airlines passengers due to reasons other than weather and get a portion of the fare from the original ticket (a nice airline employee will use this for weather too but they have to be really nice) This never used to be kept secret by the airlines. It was used routinely as a matter of fact. They just don't bother to use it, unless someone forces them. Must be a sign of the times.

So they next time any of you are stuck at the airport, check which airline is going next and have the airline do a rule 240 on your ticket, so you can get onboard another flight. If they airline employee states the other airline does not accept rule 240, ask them to show you the rule that states that carrier does not particapate. Trust me they have a copy.(another well kept secret). I used to be in charge of changing all the updates of the rules:0

Just another tip to use while travelling. Remember know your rights when flying.

Shelley

From the FAA website;

Where can I find information on Rule 240?

The term "Rule 240" refers to a rule that existed before airline deregulation. There is no longer an actual Rule 240. The term, as it is now used, refers to each airline´s "conditions of carriage" policy. You would need to contact the airlines to obtain this.

You need to go to the airlines website and look under conditions of carriage or contract of carriage..On ual website you just type in carriage. Each airline has their own rules. Although they no longer use the actual Rule 240...older airline employees will know what you are talking about.

However, go on the airlines you are travelling and find their conditions of carriage. I.E. if you read Americans rules on flight delays and cancellation due to their control, there is a small sentence that states in rare instances they will put you on another carrier. This is where you find the reference to the old rule 240. Fodors did a piece on this and stated that most of the U.S. carriers still abide by this as part of their good customer service programs.

I as say, it never hurts to go informed. That way you are protected. Of course, as always travelling the day before is always the best.

Shelley

Can a traveller use rule 240 if the flight is delayed due the mechanic's strike?

Yes - but to be safe (and to help you not to be part of 200 people all clamering around the Gate Agent after a cancellation) have the NW reservation number on your phone, then you can call and rebook.

1-800-225-2525

Archived