Please help me decide which cruise to choose!

Sailinmama2014

Hi there, I am a newbie planning a first adult cruise for my 30th b day next year. It will just be me and my 4 yr old. I've cruised once before but I was 7 so it doesn't really count :)

Cruise will be beginning of Feb 2015

Here is what is important to me-

Great kids club that is clean, safe and fun- my daughter will be there when I need some solo time, but for the most part will be with me

Fun, friendly ship where I won't feel awkward solo

Fun, safe ports, with kid friendly activities and nice beaches

Outdoor movie screen by the pool

I am torn between these cruises- which would you recommend?

Carnival Victory- Miami-At Sea-Freeport-Little Stirrup Cay-Nassau-Miami

Carnival Glory-Miami-At Sea-Cozumel-Belize-Roatan-Grand Cayman-At Sea-Miami

RC Vision of the Seas- same schedule as the Glory except leaving out of Tampa

I can afford a balcony on the Glory, inside room on the others.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!!

It's a tough decision, as IMO, both "Glory", and "Victory" have the great majority of what you're looking for. I personally, haven't sailed "Vision of the Seas", but the port of Tampa is probably easier than sailing out of Miami. I think I'd do "Victory", as the ports, in my opinion, are a bit friendlier, and offer nicer beaches, with the possible exception of "Freeport". You won't go wrong with any of the three choices, but once again, I'd vote for "Victory". :cool:

"SKY"

I'd choose the Glory (and you get a balcony!) WHOO HOO!

I love the Glory's itinerary. We did that same itinerary on the Liberty and would do it again!!

I would've suggested the Vision out of Tampa (because of the ease of flying in and out) with the same itinerary but that only gets you an interior. For the same price, ghaving a balcony on the Glory is just as good, if not better. This itinerary is great with a balcony, loved sipping coffee on my balcony every morning, especially when we pulled into Roatan's port.

I would choose the Glory because of the itinerary. I don't like Nassau and I haven't been to LSC in a long time. I have been to all the ports on Glory's itinerary.

You're never 100% safe, but on Roatan, Carnival has its own island, Mahogany Bay. You get off the ship and it's right there. Just be careful of the excursions you choose and your transportation at other ports.

I'd pick Glory. I can't comment on Belize as I have not been there. GC, Cozumel and Roatan have some really nice beaches. Go to the port of call section of these forums and read on for the best beaches. Plus I like a balcony. Nothing like room service and sitting on your balcony for coffee and breakfast.

I would choose the Glory because of the itinerary. I don't like Nassau and I haven't been to LSC in a long time. I have been to all the ports on Glory's itinerary.

You're never 100% safe, but on Roatan, Carnival has its own island, Mahogany Bay. You get off the ship and it's right there. Just be careful of the excursions you choose and your transportation at other ports.

Agree. Cozumel, Roatan and Grand Cayman have some great, kid friendly beaches. The only port I'd be mildly concerened with is Belize and I took my kids out of Belize City and went cave tubing with them.

Hi there, I am a newbie planning a first adult cruise for my 30th b day next year. It will just be me and my 4 yr old. I've cruised once before but I was 7 so it doesn't really count :)

Cruise will be beginning of Feb 2015

Here is what is important to me-

Great kids club that is clean, safe and fun- my daughter will be there when I need some solo time, but for the most part will be with me

Fun, friendly ship where I won't feel awkward solo

Fun, safe ports, with kid friendly activities and nice beaches

Outdoor movie screen by the pool

I am torn between these cruises- which would you recommend?

Carnival Victory- Miami-At Sea-Freeport-Little Stirrup Cay-Nassau-Miami

Carnival Glory-Miami-At Sea-Cozumel-Belize-Roatan-Grand Cayman-At Sea-Miami

RC Vision of the Seas- same schedule as the Glory except leaving out of Tampa

I can afford a balcony on the Glory, inside room on the others.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!!

Thanks for all the replies!

I made a mistake in my first post but can't figure out how to edit...

I can afford a balcony on the Victory, not the Glory.

I would prefer to leave out of Tampa as well because I'm flying SW so I can only fly into Tampa, or else fly into Ft Lauderdale and then get to Miami from there-

If I do the Glory or Vision of the Seas I'll also get to see the Super Bowl on the ship which would be awesome

Also, the ports in Belize & Roatan interest me slightly more than Bahamas

but I'm torn because of that balcony :)

I would first eliminate the Victory. It has the least desirable itinerary - other than stopping at Royal Caribbean's private island, which is beautiful.

At first I was going to recommend Glory because of the mistake in saying that was the ship you could have a balcony. But now that the room choices are the same, it's a toss up. Both have all the criteria you are looking for.

I guess I'd lean toward Vision because I think it's the nicer ship and it sails out of Tampa.

I would prefer to leave out of Tampa as well because I'm flying SW so I can only fly into Tampa, or else fly into Ft Lauderdale and then get to Miami from there-

If I do the Glory or Vision of the Seas I'll also get to see the Super Bowl on the ship which would be awesome

I would choose the Glory. The beach at Roatan is beautiful!

Food for thought: As a parent traveling solo, I would have concerns about a 4 year old with a balcony. It would make me nervous, nervous. And this coming from someone who loves balconies. I would book an ocean view cabin so your DD could be looking safely at water whenever she wants while in the cabin.

Edited by tinyrose

Don't worry about the balcony! If you want to be outside (or close to it), book an interior cabin on Lido or Panorama deck. You'll be steps to outside, rather than various flights of stairs and/or elevator ride to the outside.

That's what we did on our last cruise. I didn't miss the balcony (and the added expense) one bit and I was steps to being outside. Belize and Roatan ARE more interesting than the Bahamas. Roatan has private Mahogany Bay beach, you are right there and don't even have to leave the area and can go back to the ship for lunch. Belize is fascinating, if you don't want to do cave tubing or climb ruins, Carnival usually has a beach excursion on a private island or a snorkel tour (best snorkeling anywhere).

Good luck!!! :D

Its basically your first cruise= I agree to forget the balcony. You will not be using it that much.

I like the Glory ports.

I sailed the bahamas in February once and it was not good weather. It was too cool to swim etc.

(look at the bahama history- I was there one year in February and it was 52 degrees-- )

with the glory ports-- it will be warm

Its basically your first cruise= I agree to forget the balcony. You will not be using it that much.

I like the Glory ports.

I sailed the bahamas in February once and it was not good weather. It was too cool to swim etc.

(look at the bahama history- I was there one year in February and it was 52 degrees-- )

with the glory ports-- it will be warm

ITA it's too cold in the Bahamas in February. Pick Glory. All those ports except Belize you can enjoy cheaply right off the ship. I would do a Carnival excursion in Belize- sorry to say it, but the port area is a bust.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Wow I am so glad I posted the question! Thanks for the tips!

I had not even really thought about being worried about the balcony, now I agree I should probably nix it-

Also good tips about booking on a higher deck-

I am now going with either the Glory or Vision but leaning more towards the Glory. It is about $80 cheaper per person and I found plenty of shuttles between Ft Lauderdale and Miami cruise ports.

I had not even really thought about being worried about the balcony, now I agree I should probably nix it-

I am now going with either the Glory or Vision but leaning more towards the Glory. It is about $80 cheaper per person and I found plenty of shuttles between Ft Lauderdale and Miami cruise ports.

We flew in to Fort Lauderdale the night before and stayed the night somewhere near the airport (with free shuttle from the airport) and free breakfast in the morning. Later that morning, we had SAS http://www.ridesas.com/ pick us up and take us to the Miami port, I think it was about $15 per person. They will also do the same upon return, very reliable. If you decide to fly in the day of, they will also have pickups at the airport in FLL.

You are probably better off starting with an interior room and watch prices, sometimes you can get a balcony as you get closer to sail date for alot less than you would be paying now. It's not guaranteed, but it could happen. Also, remember with Carnival that if you book a balcony you cannot change it later to an interior (you can't downgrade) but you can always upgrade. :)

When I book interiors I also look at the Lido deck first, I like getting the interiors closest to the doors leading out to the pool. It would be a short walk back to your cabin if you are at the pool all day, or a few steps from your cabin to the lido buffet for a quick bite to eat or something to drink.

Edited by ibcnusoon

Agree. Cozumel, Roatan and Grand Cayman have some great, kid friendly beaches. The only port I'd be mildly concerened with is Belize and I took my kids out of Belize City and went cave tubing with them.

We did cave tubing years ago and loved it. I was little afraid at first, but I would do it again. We've taken the Mayan Ruins tour, but that would be way too long for a 4 yr old, heck, it was too long for me!

I had read reviews on sas and plan to use them. I had also read some reviews on the cave tubing and think I will check out the .bz

I'm thinking about Little French Key in Roatan, cave tubing in Belize Or else beaches, and I'd like to do something playing with dolphins. Any tips on somewhere cool to interact with dolphins? Or anything other things you'd recommend for a newbie?

Thank you!

I had read reviews on sas and plan to use them. I had also read some reviews on the cave tubing and think I will check out the .bz

I'm thinking about Little French Key in Roatan, cave tubing in Belize Or else beaches, and I'd like to do something playing with dolphins. Any tips on somewhere cool to interact with dolphins? Or anything other things you'd recommend for a newbie?

Thank you!

Mahogany Bay at Roatan has a dolphin encounter. It's Canival's private island there, right when you get off the ship, you can take a chair lift over or walk to it.

Click on the picture to open album (you will need to click the arrow to the left to stay with Mahogany Bay):

IMG_4006.jpg

Edited by Terre

Mahogany Bay at Roatan has a dolphin encounter. It's Canival's private island there, right when you get off the ship, you can take a chair lift over or walk to it.

Click on the picture to open album (you will need to click the arrow to the left to stay with Mahogany Bay):

IMG_4006.jpg

Pics look great, thank you!

Edited by Sailinmama2014