QE2 - January 3, 2006 - Six Day Crossing

eroller

Correct me if I'm wrong, but earlier this year when the QE2 left New York on her World Cruise wasn't she oversold? Seems to me as if some passengers were bumped.

Calliope,

I think the oversold segment was from Sydney Australia - she's usually not completely full until she leaves the US.

Peter

Looks like I'm in cabin 4217. A slight upgrade from my guarantee. Should be pretty roomy for me.

sfo-john - that one's got a nice layout - beds by the porthole, not down a small passageway, as I've had in the past - also handy for the 'G' staircase...do you have this for your exclusive use? If you do you'll be rattling around!

Peter

Welcome Kyla and Troy, I'm glad that you sold the old and found new digs!

It looks as if there are now 25 souls that are in the Winter Crossing Club! Whom is going to buy the first round? ;-)

Looks like I'm in cabin 4217. A slight upgrade from my guarantee.

John:

WOW, nice upgrade !!! Way to go !!! That should be a nice cabin.

My wife and I were originally assigned a Four Deck cabin way back in February when we booked this crossing, but have subsequently been upgraded to an M1 guarantee-Porthole. Our Cunard rep has requested two -a first choice, and a second choice- Four Deck outside cabins (near "D" staircase) for us. I'll be looking out a porthole for the first time in many years !!

It's wonderful to see Cunard rewarding regular passengers.

Tom

QE2 Winter Crossing Club

January 2006 Crossing

Southampton-NY

* Brian Boru (Chris)

* Stowaway2K (Kyle)

* Ken W

* sfo-john

* transat jon

* guernseyguy (Peter)

* eroller (Ernie)

* Cruisin Pup

* Richard Schmidt

* Mr. Murdoch

* Transatlantic Tom (Tom & Jan)

* juliecat (Julia)

* Calliope (Frank)

* Bluenoser

* Confetti (Cheryl)

* transat

* sandiegoprincess (Sandi)

* seagreen

* tandemtourer (Rebecca)

* captaintandem (Tom)

* Post Captain (John)

* greatam (Dennis & Gina)

* Allis154 (Kyla & Troy)

Looking at the list of names above ("Crossing Club"), I got to thinking about the countries represented.

With the addition of "Allis154" (Kyla & Troy), Canada is now represented. I believe that Peter and "transat jon" represent the United Kingdom, and there are a few Americans in our ever-growing collection of QE2-crazed enthusiasts....

United Kingdom

Canada

United States

Have I left anyone out ???

Suggestions to get from LHR or LGW to Southampton? I found the info on limo and taxi. Anyone know about the train? Will it be a hassle with luggage?

I know there is no train direct to Southampton, but I could be in London for a day (arrive Jan 1, instead of Jan 2) so train from London should be easy.

Or maybe the best is just to fly on New Year's day, arrive Jan. 2, and take limo to Southampton. The hotel someone posted looked pretty good and would avoid the trip into London.

Thoughts, anyone???

Peter represent the United Kingdom

Tom,

Actually, Guernsey is not part of the UK - organizationally speaking we 'report' to HM QEII, NOT to Tony Blair, as the Channel Islands are part of the original Norman territory (1066 and all that...) and owe allegience to the Crown, not to Westminster.

That said, I'm originally from Scotland....but for those who visit St Peter Port in Guernsey, the reason you can buy 'Duty Free' is that not only do you leave the UK, you leave the EU as well......which is one of the reasons cruise ships call here - to leave the EU, so they can sell duty free throughout the trip.

Jon, my cabin-mate is joint UK-US, in that order....

Peter

Looks like I'm in cabin 4217. A slight upgrade from my guarantee. Should be pretty roomy for me.

Very nice cabin! I have an original 1968 detailed deck plan for QE2, so I've attached a scan of your cabin. This way you can see exactly how it is laid out. It's listed as being 166 sq ft. I think you did well.

If anyone else is interested in a scan of their cabin arrangement, just let me know.

Ernie

ps - Welcome to Kyla and Troy!! Nice to have you along.

QE2Cabin4217-vi.jpg?257306

Ernie,

Thanks so much for that layout information. I was wondering exactly where in the cabin the beds would be placed. Last year I was in 3053 which was tiny but well laid out and lots of nice wood panelling. This will be a lot larger, outside, with maybe less panelling, I imagine.

I have an original 1968 detailed deck plan for QE2

Ernie,

We'll have to compare notes! I have a 1971 deck plan - but it does not show any class separation - does yours? I've also got deck plans going back to MAURETANIA - something I copied in my idle moments at the British Library when I should have been doing something else! It shows the basic Trans Atlantic liner configuration of First in the middle, Second aft and Third Forward - which we can still see remnants of on the QE2 today (A, D and G stair towers). Interestingly the only major liner to depart from this, NORMANDIE, was not as commercially successful as the QUEEN MARY - putting both Second and Third aft, over vibrating screws.

Peter

Ernie,

Thanks so much for that layout information. I was wondering exactly where in the cabin the beds would be placed. Last year I was in 3053 which was tiny but well laid out and lots of nice wood panelling. This will be a lot larger, outside, with maybe less panelling, I imagine.

I think you are right about the panelling. 3053 is a much smaller cabin, but it was in the original first class section, so I'm going to guess the finish and fittings were upgraded. None the less, I'll take the larger cabin!

Ernie

Ernie,

We'll have to compare notes! I have a 1971 deck plan - but it does not show any class separation - does yours?

Peter

Hi Peter,

My QE2 plan does not show class separation. Of course, as you already know all of One Deck was first class, along with the midship majority portion of Two and Three Deck. Tourist Class was the very forward/aft sections of Two and Three Deck, along with all of Four and Five Deck. Even on today's deck plans, you can see where the cabin corridors become more narrow forward and aft on Two and Three Deck. This is a sure sign you are in the old Tourist Class. The more narrow corridors continue on all of Four and Five Deck.

I sure do wish QE2 would have kept more attributes of her original plan. It's such a shame "The Look-Out" is gone. I would have loved to see it (maybe it's better I never did) as QE2 could really use an observation lounge.

I LOVE detailed deck plans. Two of my favorites are of the SS FRANCE and SS UNITED STATES that I acquired. Both show all the nooks and crannies, as well as the class separation.

Ernie

Tom,

Actually, Guernsey is not part of the UK - organizationally speaking we 'report' to HM QEII, NOT to Tony Blair, as the Channel Islands are part of the original Norman territory (1066 and all that...) and owe allegience to the Crown, not to Westminster.

That said, I'm originally from Scotland....but for those who visit St Peter Port in Guernsey, the reason you can buy 'Duty Free' is that not only do you leave the UK, you leave the EU as well......which is one of the reasons cruise ships call here - to leave the EU, so they can sell duty free throughout the trip.

Peter

Peter:

Out of curiosity (and no I'm not with US Customs !!), what passport do residents of the Channel Islands possess ???

Thanks for the clarification; I mistakenly thought/guessed/assumed (always trouble !) that politically the Channel Islands had the same status as the Hebrides, Isles of Scilly, et al. So the Channel Islands are like the Isle of Man, self-governing, and a Crown dependency ???

Tom

Tom,

Peter

Peter:

Thanks for the clarification. I mistakenly thought/guessed/assumed (always trouble !!) that the Channel Islands held the same status as the Isles of Scilly, the Hebrides, et al.

So the Channel Islands are like the Isle of Man - a self-governing crown dependency ????

Out of curiosity, what passport do you hold (or in lieu of that, and more generally, what passport would most residents -say, of Guernsey- possess) ???

Tom

3053 had access to the next cabin, so it seemed that it could be part of a mini-suite.

It seems to me as if I read in "The Only Way To Cross", that those small connecting inside rooms were for the first class rooms inhabitants' private servant to stay in while their bosses occupied the room next door. I suppose that it would be a good place too for the little ones if you're on a budget.

So the Channel Islands are like the Isle of Man - a self-governing crown dependency ???? Out of curiosity, what passport do you hold (or in lieu of that, and more generally, what passport would most residents -say, of Guernsey- possess) ??? Tom

Exactly - Wikipedia explains all: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_dependency

I think that Guernsey-born hold British passports endorsed 'Guernsey' - which means they do not have rights of free movement to work and settle within the EU. As a Scot I have a plain vanilla UK passport.

One point of interest is that the Channel Islands were the only British Isles occupied during WWII - and Hitler was at pains to make sure the occupation went well - the 'Model Occupation' - all us aryans together.....he also thought that they would be the first territory recaptured by the Allies invading Europe - hence the extensive fortifications on the islands. The Wehrmacht thought this was nuts - correctly assuming that the Allies would ignore the Islands and invade the mainland - my home sits atop an artillery bunker overlooking one of Guernsey's western bays.

In the UK it is now accepted practice to refer to the WWII enemy as the 'N a z i s' - being great chums with the Germans these days n'all. Not here. Its the 'Germans'. While part of this is understandable, I also think some elements are regretable - for example, a memorial to victims of WWII here had the names of a few Germans removed recently.

Peter

We've just received our "Voyage Information" packet from Cunard, & will fax the Guest Registration Form to them on Monday. Looking forward to learning what stateroom we're assigned...:)

I must say it's a pleasure to encounter so many fellow passengers/cruise critics who know & appreciate the difference between a real ocean liner and a modern, glitzy cruise ship, and who approach the North Atlantic winter crossing on Queen Elizabeth 2 with such a sense of history & adventure...

Post Captain, you and I sailed the Rotterdam during the same era. Did you go about the ship on your own and discover the secret of the staircase? To this day my mother is horrified that she permitted me explore the ship by myself.

Rebecca (tandemtourer) and Tom (captaintandem)

Yes, I'm sure I explored the Rotterdam a bit on my own--but you'll have to refresh my memory re. "the secret of the staircase." I'm intrigued. I do vividly recall that I had the upper bunk in a 2nd-class stateroom on C-deck, in the stern of the ship (port side).

Funny to think that at that very moment in the mid-1960s, the QE2 was just in the early stages of her construction on the Clyde.

Cheers,

John (Post Captain) & Maureen

Archived