QE2 - January 3, 2006 - Six Day Crossing

eroller

Sold! Though I've always fancied doing a "Marx Brothers" in an M7 (or whatever the smallest cabin is called now) in the scene from 'A Night at the Opera'. Any volunteers?

Peter

Earlier in this thread I volunteered to have the Cruisecritic get-together in my inside single, but there seemed to be a lack of interest. :rolleyes:

One question for QE2 alumni .... do Four Deck cabins require "deadlights" in rough weather, or is that only on Five Deck and below? That could be an advantage to being on Three Deck or above.

Ernie

I've had my three deck forward porthole covered in rough weather! Location, location, location!

Julia

I've had my three deck forward porthole covered in rough weather! Location, location, location!

Julia

Thanks Julia. So maybe it depends not just on the deck, but also if you are forward or aft??? Since we have an outside cabin, it would be nice for it to remain that way! ;)

Peter ... you are naughty, but good suggestion - so long as the porthole doesn't blow in!

Ernie

Earlier in this thread I volunteered to have the Cruisecritic get-together in my inside single, but there seemed to be a lack of interest. :rolleyes:

Another Party! Stateroom number, date, time? BTW I enjoyed your shots of the MAURETANIA restaurant in Bristol - how old are they? I asked at the M123 place, but they denied all knowledge of the interiors.......

Peter

Another Party! Stateroom number, date, time? BTW I enjoyed your shots of the MAURETANIA restaurant in Bristol - how old are they? I asked at the M123 place, but they denied all knowledge of the interiors.......

Peter

Hi Peter

As of this morning I am still on a guarantee. I'll let you know...Let's see how many we can squeeze in! I'm sure the steward will be most pleased. :eek:

The photos of Mauretania in Bristol were taken in June of this year. I'm glad you like them.

You must have asked the wrong person, as when we were there, I mentioned that I came from California to see their restaurant, as it is famous around the world, and they said yes, they get people in with their cameras from time to time to take photos.

Did you have a meal there? We did, early evening, and they were perfectly happy to let us wander throughout with our cameras.

One mystery...what happened to the original letters MAURETANIA that were once over the entrance??? :confused: That's one thing that those there at the time did not know. The restaurant/pub/club has changed hands a few times in recent years.

now I find myself going after all.

On meeting on-board... Well, will we all be finished eating dinner at 10 PM the first evening? I have no problem with it myself, if we go to dinner at 7 or thereabouts we should be finished by 10 but what about those taking second seating in Mauretania? Similarly on the second night, a 7 PM meeting should not work for first seating Mauretania people, though those of us in Caronia and the Grills (do we have anyone here in one of the Grills?) should be fine.

Doug:

First of all, welcome aboard. After thinking it was a "no-go", I'll bet you're really excited now....You're making a transatlantic crossing aboard QUEEN ELIZABETH 2 !!!

Secondly, in terms of our two meetings, and with so many of us, unfortunately it becomes difficult to accomodate everyone's preferences after a certain point. My wife and I are actually Mauretania late seating so the 7 PM Jan. 4 get-together in the Champagne Bar/Princess Grill Bar works for us before dinner that night, and with late seating beginning at 8:30 PM (isn't it ?) I think we'll be able to sneak in just a few minutes late to a proposed 10 PM Chart Room meeting sailing day.

As you suggest, for those in Caronia and the Grillls there is enough flexibility that one of the two proposed meeting should work.

What do people think about this ??? Any ideas, suggestions, requests ???

Tom

I have just been assigned my cabin 5168. Not my first choice, but at least I am going!

As for flights, I have been told they will be assigned this Friday. In my checking of flights today, there is only one flight not sold out, and it bounces between several airports. Looks like another looonnggg travelling day again.

But at least I am going!

If anybody has any info on my assigned cabin (5168), please send it too me. Last time I was in 3179, and was hoping for that one again. 3179 was great cabin, except for the first few days when the florist insists on parking his flower cart in front of the door!

If anybody has any info on my assigned cabin (5168), please send it too me. Last time I was in 3179
5168 is 121 sq ft - there are quite a few M3s smaller with the smallest 107 sq feet, while 3179 was 135 sq feet. 5168's location just down the corridor from the E staircase, low down and midships, may be one of the more comfortable ones on the ship. And as you say - you are going!

Peter

I have just been assigned my cabin 5168. Not my first choice, but at least I am going!

As for flights, I have been told they will be assigned this Friday. In my checking of flights today, there is only one flight not sold out, and it bounces between several airports. Looks like another looonnggg travelling day again.

But at least I am going!

If anybody has any info on my assigned cabin (5168), please send it too me. Last time I was in 3179, and was hoping for that one again. 3179 was great cabin, except for the first few days when the florist insists on parking his flower cart in front of the door!

Congrats on your cabin assignment! Only on an old ship like QE2 can cabin assignments be so exciting. On any other ship, who really cares as all the standard cabins are basically the same.

Attached is a scan of your cabin. Not bad and very close to my favorite cozy little staircase on QE2 ... Stairtower F. Great access to the spa!

I have a question for you ... did you get much vibration when you were in 3179? My cabin for this crossing is located about the same location as 3179 but a deck lower. I'm not real concerned as movement doesn't bother me, but just a little curious. Frankly I can't remember if QE2 had any vibration issues or not?

Thanks!

Ernie

QE2Cabin5168-vi.jpg?306269

I have a question for you ... did you get much vibration when you were in 3179? My cabin for this crossing is located about the same location as 3179 but a deck lower. I'm not real concerned as movement doesn't bother me, but just a little curious. Frankly I can't remember if QE2 had any vibration issues or not?

Thanks!

Ernie

I don't remember much vibration at all. I know my DH didn't sleep very well the first few nights because of the creaking panelling. We had a couple of not-calm nights, but again, didn't notice any vibration. One thing I do remember is that we had to climb over the toilet to get into the shower. We still laugh about that today.

Thank you for the scan. Looks like I don't have to worry about bunk beds, but it seems I will be climbing over the toilet again!

First of all, welcome aboard.

Thanks!

After thinking it was a "no-go", I'll bet you're really excited now....

Yes indeed, this is something I've always wanted to do so now I can't wait. Never thought I'd do it in "first class" (OK, Caronia these days is more like cabin, but still...) either!

unfortunately it becomes difficult to accomodate everyone's preferences after a certain point.

Yes, of course. Personally I find the two meeting times to be fine, just wanted to point out that they could conflict with dinner for some.

That said I doubt we have many Mauretania early seating pax here - if we have any at all - and anyone else (Mauretania late seating, Caronia, Grills) should probably be able to fit in both meetings. I imagine everyone should be able to make one or the other, at least as far as dinner arrangements are concerned.

I still don't know which room Cheryl and I will be in. Cunard says it's part of the World Cruise and they don't assign rooms for those making a segment of the cruise until everyone making the whole World Cruise has their room assigned. This usually occurs about a week out, so they say. Well, I'll keep on calling Cunard till I find something out anyway!

That was yesterday! Today I still do not know which room Cheryl and I will be in, but I do know that there are some pleasant people working in reservations. The very helpful reservationist at Cunard LA today, Nicki, stated that they are assigning rooms now for this crossing and to check back soon. How's that old song go? What a difference a day makes, twenty four little hours...

Doug, yes, it was meant as a compliment to all of us who are brave enough, romantic enough, and/or daft enough, to book a North Atlantic crossing during January. As the Cunard advertisement ask, "Can you wait?", for me the answer is a resounding no!

Doug, did those flash promo prices include air to London? The 2007 QE2 crossing from Southampton to Ft. Lauderdale that I'm booked on does not include air. According to the Cunard LA reservationist one way air with a crossing ,even when paying rack rate, is a thing of the past.

Todays answer from Cunard LA is that Cheryl and mine room will probably be assigned the first week of December. We'll see what answer tomorrow brings!

QE2 Winter Crossing Club

January 2006 Crossing

Southampton-NY

* Brian Boru (Chris)

* Stowaway2K (Kyle)

* Ken W

* sfo-john

* transat jon

* guernseyguy (Peter)

* eroller (Ernie)

* Cruisin Pup

* Richard Schmidt

* Mr. Murdoch

* Transatlantic Tom (Tom & Jan)

* juliecat (Julia)

* Calliope (Frank)

* Bluenoser

* Confetti (Cheryl)

* transat (Chris)

* sandiegoprincess (Sandi)

* seagreen

* tandemtourer (Rebecca)

* captaintandem (Tom)

* Post Captain (John & Maureen)

* greatam (Dennis & Gina)

* Allis154 (Kyla & Troy)

* Peter B

* Host Doug

Doug, did those flash promo prices include air to London? The 2007 QE2 crossing from Southampton to Ft. Lauderdale that I'm booked on does not include air. According to the Cunard LA reservationist one way air with a crossing ,even when paying rack rate, is a thing of the past.

I'm not Doug, but yes, the Flash Promo rates do include one-way air from most US East Coast cities to London. They also include transfers from London to the ship in Southampton. It's one reason this 2006 crossing is so attractive. Another is we don't when, if ever, QE2 will make another crossing from Southampton to NY. In 2007 she will go directly to Ft. Lauderdale.

A word of advise .... don't put too much faith in what you hear from Cunard LA reservationists. Many have very little clue what they are talking about, and just last week many were booking Princess Cruises. I don't blame them ... I blame the training department at Princess/Cunard. In general they did a lousy job training these ex-Princess reservationists. Once in a great while you will get one that really knows something.

Regarding the air in 2007 ... never say never. Princess/Cunard will do WHATEVER it takes to fill the ship. We have seen this with ridiculous low-ball pricing on the 2006 QE2 crossing and you will see it again in 2007 if the segment doesn't fill. This kind of last minute desparate pricing is something that happens at all major mass-market lines today, but rarely happened at Cunard in the past. This is one aspect of Cunard that has become very mass-market under control of Princess Cruises.

Ernie

Another is we don't when, if ever, QE2 will make another crossing from Southampton to NY. In 2007 she will go directly to Ft. Lauderdale.

Ernie

Ernie:

According to the Cunard website, QE2 is making the westbound crossing from Southampton to NY April 21-27, 2007,at the end of the 2007 World Cruise.

In addition, the website shows QE2 in port/sailing from NY (for Ft. Lauderdale) on January 8, 2007 AND (if you look up QE2 voyages before this date) arriving/in port at Southampton on January 2, 2007 (having just returned from an "Atlantic Islands and Africa" Cruise)....it would appear that she would be making the crossing to NY from Southampton at this point, too.

Not wishing you to be wrong, but I hope the website is accurate. I'm sure you do too...more crossings !!!

Tom

Just this morning, talking with "them" about another matter, the agent told me YES the QE2 will cross in January 2007, Southampton to New York. On her usual world cruise, going to ports the Queen Mary 2 on HER world cruise, again in 2007, will not. Both ships doing worlds. Good news! :)

Check it out. The QE2 will go into NY, the QM2 into Ft. Lauderdale.

Check it out. The QE2 will go into NY, the QM2 into Ft. Lauderdale.

Yes, you are correct. Sorry guys ... got the ships mixed up. I knew one was bypassing NY and I thought it was QE2 for some reason.

To set the record straight:

It's actually QM2 that will begin the US version of the World Cruise in Ft. Lauderdale on January 10, 2007 and end in Ft. Lauderdale on April 2. That is for the full 81 days.

The QE2 will begin her US version of the World Cruise in New York on January 8, 2007, or Ft. Lauderdale on January 10, 2007. The full 108 day voyage will end in NY on April 27, or Ft. Lauderdale on April 29.

Sorry for the confusion. You guys are on the ball ... can't get anything past you. ;)

Ernie

Sorry for the confusion. You guys are on the ball ... can't get anything past you. ;)

Ernie

Ernie:

To the extent that so many of us -yourself included, I dare say- are trying to make as many QE2 transatlantic crossings as possible before she goes out of service, you more terrified me than anything else !!!! Gave the old "ticker" a shock, you did !!!

Tom;)

Cunard LA will not sell the January 2007 QE2 crossing from Southampton to Ft. Lauderdale.(Or they would not when I booked the April crossing three months ago.) They are selling the January crossing from Southampton to New York though with air as an option. The April 2007 QE2 crossing is being sold from England to either New York or Ft. Lauderdale with round-trip air an option too. Both of these crossings are being marketed as parts of the QE2's Silver Anniversary World Cruise.

My thinking as to why Princess has done away with Cunard's long standing practice of one way air for crossings is this. When bookings are flat, prices that are as low or lower than we're seeing for this January's crossing will be offered, but Cunard won't be tied into giving away the air. It will be interesting to see if this experiment in pricing will work, or if it will go the way of the AQUITANIA and SYLVANIA.

A word of advise .... don't put too much faith in what you hear from Cunard LA reservationists. Many have very little clue what they are talking about, and just last week many were booking Princess Cruises. I don't blame them ... I blame the training department at Princess/Cunard. In general they did a lousy job training these ex-Princess reservationists. Once in a great while you will get one that really knows something.

Ernie

You're so right, Ernie, that's why I've made postings the past three days of what I've been told, each of those days, by Cunard LA reservationist when attempting to obtain my room number. Each day it's been different. First it won't be assigned till a week before, next it was any day now, and after today's enquirery it was proffered that it will be next week. Will I call tomorrow to ask, you bet! Both Cheryl and I are interested in which room we'll end up in. Does it make a difference, well, not really, but it would be nice if the whole choir was on the same page!

Archived