QE2 - January 3, 2006 - Six Day Crossing

eroller

[quote name='Calliope']Still no room assignment yet, and today's reservationist explained that it won't be until, "everone else whom is making the full 109 day World Cruise has their room assigned." So I guess that this goes in the week before crossing you'll find out what your room is category! Everyone else here that has had their stateroom assigned recently, it could be just a dream!

Are you awake, Ernie, Doug, et.al.? ARRRGH![/quote]

Calliope, could it be because you booked the extra two days to Fort Lauderdale they are holding up your cabin assignment ? Perhaps the QE2 fills up with more World Cruisers from NY - hence the delay in your assignment - afaik the rest of us who have had cabins assigned are just doing the transatlantic.

Peter

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions pre cruise. Still don't know what to do. Maybe go see Stonehenge?? Anyone want to share the ride from Heathrow to Southampton? We arrive AA from NY at noon on the second.

Calliope,

We don't have a cabin assignment either. I just hope Cunard assigns one soon. We won't be anyplace to receive mail from the 15th on. We have no docs, nothing. I like Guernseyguy's thinking-GREAT UPGRADE. We can dream, can't we.

I had a voicemail today from Cunard letting me know that they had inadvertantly sent me two sets of docs and I should disregard the first set (hope I can tell which is which). I wish I'd been home when she called to ask about the cabin assignment!

The docs are on the way! Yeah!
Julia

[quote name='Calliope']Still no room assignment yet, and today's reservationist explained that it won't be until, "everone else whom is making the full 109 day World Cruise has their room assigned." So I guess that this goes in the week before crossing you'll find out what your room is category! Everyone else here that has had their stateroom assigned recently, it could be just a dream!

Are you awake, Ernie, Doug, et.al.? ARRRGH![/QUOTE]

I wish I could tell you why some guarantees have been assigned cabins, and others haven't. It's frustrating I know ... but maybe good things will come of it in the long run. Think positive!

Ernie

I also received a call from Cunard today about a second set of tickets being mailed and to throw out the first set, although I have not received the first set. Did get a chance to ask my cabin number though. They assigned me 4245, a one level upgrade. Not as good as the 5 level upgrade I got last year, but I am happy to be on the ship. Think I will call them tommorrow and see if I pay a bit more if they can do better. I think the ship will be full.

Chris

[quote name='guernseyguy']Chris - tell us about the Refit - any major changes?

Peter[/QUOTE]

Peter, most cosmetic changes are to Deck 7. The sliding doors are gone, replanced by standard steel and wood outside and glass inside. The Winter Garden remains--sigh--but some overflow seating for King's Court occupies a corner. Teh Court itself has better signs and more seatng; the center section ( with the skylight to the lobby) has been reconstructed and seats installed. Sadly, the traffic flow problem continues--too many people, most tottering along with waden trays, moving in too many directions. The grill rooms have also been redecorated. Some fittings now adorn the Grand Lobby.

I gather the most significant changes involve the galley and propulsion. The pods still bounce a little, esp. if you're right above them.

More soon.

Chris

Cunard just told me our cabin was 4138. We specifically told the TA bow or aft (which usually are NOT the most desirable locations and good for guarantees). 4138 is midship, pretty darn small. They have offered 3183, which is definitely the stern, but even smaller. I hope for the roughest seas and am really looking forward to "the ride". Helpful suggestions needed, please. Do we take the larger midship cabin or the stern cabin, which may or may not have "bounce".

Gina

[quote name='transat']I also received a call from Cunard today about a second set of tickets being mailed and to throw out the first set, although I have not received the first set. Did get a chance to ask my cabin number though. They assigned me 4245, a one level upgrade. Not as good as the 5 level upgrade I got last year, but I am happy to be on the ship. Think I will call them tommorrow and see if I pay a bit more if they can do better. I think the ship will be full.

Chris[/QUOTE]

Chis,
4245 is an excellent cabin. In fact at 214 sq feet it's one of the largest cabins in the C5 category. Many cabins in even higher categories are smaller. 4245 has two lowers and a nice sitting area with sofa. Of course you also have an extra dresser and closet since the cabin is designed for three people. I think it's one of the best choices in all of the C5 category.

Ernie

[quote name='greatam']Cunard just told me our cabin was 4138. We specifically told the TA bow or aft (which usually are NOT the most desirable locations and good for guarantees). 4138 is midship, pretty darn small. They have offered 3183, which is definitely the stern, but even smaller. I hope for the roughest seas and am really looking forward to "the ride". Helpful suggestions needed, please. Do we take the larger midship cabin or the stern cabin, which may or may not have "bounce".

Gina[/QUOTE]

Hi Gina,
I think 4138 is about average for the C5 category. There are definitely smaller cabins in this category.

Maybe you and Chris could switch cabins .... 4138 for 4245?? ;) Or, if Chris moves out of 4245 to a higher category, you could grab it. It's a very large cabin and near the stern.

Good luck!

Ernie

ps - I think you made the right choice between 4138 and 3183. I would not want to be directly next to the Launderette.

Thaks, Ernie.

I am currently on the phone with my TA, who is on the phone with Cunard. P cat upgrade guarantees were just offered for $1100+ per person. That is a definitely a deal for someone who wants to take the chance of being midship. When I first investigated our crossing, it seems like P was in the neighborhood of $5-6000.00pp.

Chris,

Are you going to upgrade??? Or do you want to switch rooms? Cunard states if we want to switch, no problem, just do it when we board. We just need to let the purser's desk know. But if you are going to upgrade, you would need to assign your room to us, or the cabin will be thrown back in the guarantee pool.

Calliope, Congratulations! Nice and near the bow if you enjoy the bumps!Once we've all got our allocations we'll have to do some sort of comparison between what we booked, what we got, and whether we were past pax.....and see whether there is ANY rhyme or reason to how it gets worked out.....over a Dry Martini or three, I think.....

Peter

[quote name='Calliope']Well, it's not a Princess Grill room, but it is a C-2! It's 3036, and I'm pretty darn happy.

Thanks everyone for your support. I guess that Cunard must like Cheryl and me atleast a little!
;-)[/QUOTE]

Congrats! See, patience is a virtue. ;)

Ernie

Hi, All.

I found this board yesterday and have thoroughly enjoyed reading the posts.

I will be sailing on QE2 for the first time on this crossing! We've been assigned our cabin 3008 and will be flying to London on Jan 1.

Any suggestions/comments/advice for a QE2 virgin?

--Christy

[quote name='greatam']Thaks, Ernie.

I am currently on the phone with my TA, who is on the phone with Cunard. P cat upgrade guarantees were just offered for $1100+ per person. That is a definitely a deal for someone who wants to take the chance of being midship. When I first investigated our crossing, it seems like P was in the neighborhood of $5-6000.00pp.

Chris,

Are you going to upgrade??? Or do you want to switch rooms? Cunard states if we want to switch, no problem, just do it when we board. We just need to let the purser's desk know. But if you are going to upgrade, you would need to assign your room to us, or the cabin will be thrown back in the guarantee pool.[/quote]

I upgraded to a Category C1 for $56 additional, however they did not assign me a cabin right now. Anyway, 4125 has been given up, so see if you can get it.

Chris

Hi Christy

Welcome to the Winter Crossing Club! There are about thirty people from this board going, a number are regulars.

I too have been allocated a cabin on 3 deck, but right beside the air conditioning vents at C-stair, not my first choice of location and Cunard UK are not that keen on changing it. Nice cabin, bad location.

Having recently decided not to travel on this crossing due to, as I see it, Cunards unfair trading policies. They've now reduced the price.

Saw it today on ITV teletext service prices starting from £449 for bunk beds, £489 for twin beds and I think £539 for outside.

Slightly annoyed as two weeks ago I was told the price was £699 take it or leave it.

[quote name='Cruising Ken']Having recently decided not to travel on this crossing due to, as I see it, Cunards unfair trading policies. They've now reduced the price.[/quote]

Ken, just so I make sure I have understood you - you are objecting to them cutting the price?

Peter

[quote]originally posted by Transatlantic Tom
Yes, Jan and I will most definitely be up before the crack of dawn on January 3rd, at Town Quay on the Southampton side, waiting for our ship to arrive. We'll wave to you and captaintandem over in Hythe !!![/quote] I wish I knew some semaphore. We'll be easy to spot, the only ones at the Marina at that hour of the morning. ;)

Postcaptain, your recommendations to greatam has inspired us. We'll be arriving a few days early ourselves and are going to try visiting Yarmouth for the day. (Nothing like starting a transatlantic voyage with a few ferry rides.)

Christy, welcome! I don't think you need much advice having selected this winter crossing as your introduction to QE2. :) However, if there is anything you are wondering about I'm sure someone here will be happy to weigh in. Captaintandem and I usually take the deck plans from an extra copy of the brochure with us. The diagram of the ship that is supplied in your cabin is rather minimal as it only shows a cross section of the ship. The last time we were on the Mary we were given photocopies of the diagram and they were almost unreadable.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! One more holiday to go before the fun begins.:D

Peter, no not at all. I objected to them selling this trip cheaper in America than in the UK.

Having phoned Cunard and told the price was £699 for an M6 take it or leave it, I decided to leave it and sail with NCL, Norwegian Dream transatlantic in April.

Then they drop the price.:eek:

Archived