QE2 - January 3, 2006 - Six Day Crossing

eroller

Poor Cunard, they can't seem to give this sailing away.

My heart bleeds for them ;) .

Seriously, I guess they literally are giving it away now - but that's for UK residents only. This is for the simple reason that the new online booking system is for UK residents only! Come on Cunard, when do we get one here in the US???

Come on Cunard, when do we get one here in the US???

I'm sure it's only a matter of "turning it on". Travel agents can already book Cunard online via the same system as Princess. Everything is already in place, so I doubt it's much more than updating the US website with the proper links.

Unfortunately the POLAR system is not perfect, but it is the very best of any cruise line. For instance, you can't check the January 3rd QE2 crossing or other segments as POLAR will not recognize it as a separate cruise from the World voyage. It still takes a call to Prince-ard.

Ernie

My wife could use a little help from the seasoned QE2 cruisers.

The formal wear is easy to figure out, but what about during the day? What do most passengers wear before six? How casual or dressy should she plan? Cunard says no jeans (Which she won't let me wear at home) But I keep seeing pictures of people wearing jeans on deck. Are they the exception? Do most men wear jackets during the day?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

We will be boarding January 9 in New York for the first two weeks of the around the world cruise.

RAD

How casual or dressy should she plan? Cunard says no jeans (Which she won't let me wear at home) But I keep seeing pictures of people wearing jeans on deck. RAD

Captain Rad, FWIW, I wore jeans every day aboard the QM2 last week. I think you should wear what you usually wear during the day.

Chris, in the Pennsylvania Wilds

Just received my cabin assignment for the NYC to LA leg of the World Cruise and would love to get a peak at the layout - C-3 category Cabin 4074. From the limited deck plane Cunard offers on line, it looks pretty large.

Thanks in advance to those with the deck plans.

I had a voicemail today from Cunard letting me know that they had inadvertantly sent me two sets of docs and I should disregard the first set (hope I can tell which is which). Julia

Julia:

The same thing happened to us. My wife was told that we should keep the set dated (at least for us) November 22.

One month from today we'll be boarding American Airlines for Heathrow !!!

Tom

Just received my cabin assignment for the NYC to LA leg of the World Cruise and would love to get a peak at the layout - C-3 category Cabin 4074. From the limited deck plane Cunard offers on line, it looks pretty large.

Thanks in advance to those with the deck plans.

I think you lucked out with one of the best cabins in the entire C category. I think you will be happy. This grouping of cabins (six on your side and six on the Starboard side) are all quite large.

Your cabin has three dressers, three closets, a nice bath with tub, and best of all a sofa. Very spacious.

Attached is a layout. Enjoy.

Ernie

QE2Cabin4074-vi.jpg?407375

QE2 Winter Crossing Club

January 2006 Crossing

Southampton-NY

* Brian Boru (Chris)

* Stowaway2K (Kyle)

* Ken W

* sfo-john

* transat jon

* guernseyguy (Peter)

* eroller (Ernie)

* Cruisin Pup

* Richard Schmidt

* Mr. Murdoch

* Transatlantic Tom (Tom & Jan)

* Juliecat (Julia)

* Calliope (Frank)

* Bluenoser

* Confetti (Cheryl)

* transat (Chris)

* sandiegoprincess (Sandi)

* seagreen

* tandemtourer (Rebecca)

* captaintandem (Tom)

* Post Captain (John & Maureen)

* greatam (Dennis & Gina)

* Allis154 (Kyla & Troy)

* PeterB

* Host Doug

* NewtoQE2 (Christy)

I, too, would like to get a peak at what our cabin looks like. It is 2039. Does this cabin have the fixed twin beds? I, too, took advantage of the inexpensive upgrades. Really, really wanted to be as close to the bow as possible. I am still going to see if whoever booked 2004 wants to switch, at least to NY. Now watch the great Atlantic be flat as a board the entire crossing.

Gina

Ok, last two scans for the day. I'm off to San Francisco in a few hours.

Cabin 2039 and 2004 just for fun!

Gina - I hope you end up in that forward cabin! ;) Cabin 2004 has a cool bathroom. It's actually split into two rooms.

Ernie

QE2Cabin2039-vi.jpg?268394

QE2Cabin2004-vi.jpg?212230

I think you lucked out with one of the best cabins in the entire C category. I think you will be happy. This grouping of cabins (six on your side and six on the Starboard side) are all quite large.

Your cabin has three dressers, three closets, a nice bath with tub, and best of all a sofa. Very spacious.

Attached is a layout. Enjoy.

Ernie

QE2Cabin4074-vi.jpg?407375

Thank you for the excellent layout scan. Sure does make my day that otherwise was not one of my better ones. Really looking forward to this trip.

From the list of Transatlantic crossers, it will be a great trip and party. Leave some bubbly for the next group.

This thread has been going on for quite some time now, so I can't remember if I read it here or somewhere else, but is John Maxtone Graham lecturing during the January crossing? Is that confirmed? Or am I just imagining this..? Thanks in advance for the information.

I can't remember if I read it here or somewhere else, but is John Maxtone Graham lecturing during the January crossing? Is that confirmed? Or am I just imagining this..?

I think he will be - or at least a friend of mine said he would be. I assume he will be lecturing, though I don't know for sure.

This thread has been going on for quite some time now, so I can't remember if I read it here or somewhere else, but is John Maxtone Graham lecturing during the January crossing? Is that confirmed? Or am I just imagining this..? Thanks in advance for the information.

At the Ocean Liner Society talk in London earlier this year he confirmed he would be onboard, and I think he said he would be talking. I'm also fairly sure I've read that another ocean liner expert, Ted Scull will also be onboard. Given the passenger profile on this crossing from this board, one would have thought Cunard might better market this trip as one for Liner afficionados (or 'Liner nuts' as our Host Doug so engagingly called us, before he became our host...), rather than 'Its a crossing, and try not to mention its January.....'

Peter, Jakarta

I'm also fairly sure I've read that another ocean liner expert, Ted Scull will also be onboard.

Yes, Ted is definitely going to be onboard. (He is, incidentally, the friend who said that Maxtone-Graham would be onboard.) I don't think he is lecturing though. At least he hasn't mentioned to me that he would be.

Those of you who will be spending time in NYC should try to search him out as he is the person to talk to for local information. (Hope he doesn't mind me saying that!)

'Liner nuts' as our Host Doug so engagingly called us, before he became our host...

Well, to be technical I'm only the Host on the HAL and "What Ever Happened To...???" boards so that should be "before he became a host..." But yes I have used that term in the past and suspect I will use it in the future. I certainly don't mean it in a bad way - if it helps, I consider myself one too ;) ! And in my defense I've heard others use the term from time to time as well...

Anyhow I do agree, though Cunard marketing is somewhat "liner nut" oriented to begin with, this crossing is actually a very desirable proposition to some people (such as us) who might have booked even if it weren't cheap. I suspect there are not enough of us to get even close to filling up the ship...

I enjoyed seeing Ted Scull's lectures onboard last December and am glad that he'll be around again.

Well, I'm sure if he does give lectures they'll be excellent. Ted is a good friend of mine but believe it or not I've never seen him lecture. I've been to other people's lectures with him, but that's as close as it's gotten ;) !

I hope so. I've sailed with him a few times and always enjoyed his lectures. Even better would be Bill Miller. That would be quite a treat.

Ernie

Doug,

Were you on board for last December's QE2 crossing (12/15)? I wonder why that sailing seemed to be sold out and this one isn't. Maybe the whole pre-Christmas being in NY appeal? I'm also wondering if the ship isn't fully booked what the chances may be of further upgrades. Either way, I'm happy with my cabin...

(or 'Liner nuts' as our Host Doug so engagingly called us, before he became our host...),

On "another" list, a term that has been around for many years is "Liner Loonies". I think anyone that wants to sail the QE2 across the Atlantic in January has earned the title. ;)

Ernie

I'm also wondering if the ship isn't fully booked what the chances may be of further upgrades. Either way, I'm happy with my cabin...

Believe it or not, your chances of being upgraded are usually better when the ship is sold out or oversold. This is because the cruise lines will oversell the lower categories on a "guarantee" basis and then be forced to upgrade some passengers to higher categories where there are actual cabins. When a sailing is "wide open", there is little reason to upgrade. In most cases cruise lines do not upgrade out of the goodness of their heart, but out of necessity.

Ernie

Thanks, Ernie.

Well, 2039 will provide some unusual sleeping arrangements. 8 days on a sofa bed could be the death of me. Can you say cranky?? Or more like it, more champagne!!! DH has already "dibbed" the bed. Just hope whoever is in 2004 isn't up there looking for bounce too and may be willing to trade. Fly safe!!!

Gina

Even better would be Bill Miller. That would be quite a treat.

According to this page he will be disembarking QM2 in NY on 3 Jan. There's no way he could get to Southampton the same day to board QE2, so unfortunately it seems he won't be aboard. It would be a pity as I've never sailed with Bill and I think that would be a lot of fun.

Actually his schedule doesn't seem to show him on QE2 at all this year... Just QM2, and only cruises at that! I wonder when his most recent QE2 crossing was? I saw Bill the same day that QE2 returned from last year's winter crossing, but I don't recall if he'd been aboard or not.

Anyhow, I think it would be very unusual to see both Bill Miller and John Maxtone-Graham on the same crossing - as I recall this has only happened once, last July. At least at the time, I was told it was the first time ever. The only reason I know this is that I visited QM2 that day! I would have loved to go on that crossing what with the lecture program, but alas nobody offered me a spare cabin ;) ... That was the first and so far only time I've met John though. I'm looking forward to seeing his lectures (assuming he is lecturing) as I'm sure they will be fascinating. His London QE2 lecture earlier this year got rave reviews so I'm hoping he'll be repeating it on our crossing!

Were you on board for last December's QE2 crossing (12/15)?

Alas I was not - in fact this will be my first time on QE2 and my first crossing of any sort (except by air of course). I did see her off on her subsequent Christmas cruise though - a beautiful sight. Come to think of it, I haven't seen her since - by the time I see her again in January it will have been over a year. I'm sure that is a record for me. Since she used to be in NYC every couple of weeks and I live in the area and go into Manhattan fairly frequently, I saw her on a regular basis all my life until QM2 came out.

I wonder why that sailing seemed to be sold out and this one isn't.

This is an interesting question - and I really don't know. Certainly this one is cheaper.

Perhaps people can't get time off from work just after the holidays, as for many people 2 Jan would be their first day back on the job?

I'm also wondering if the ship isn't fully booked what the chances may be of further upgrades.

I think upgrades usually happen on full ships. Traditionally, the best selling cabins are the cheapest and the most expensive, and when the lower grades sell out, they move some people up to mid-priced cabins in order to free up more space in the cheaper grades. In some cases they may actually oversell the cheaper grades, and will have no choice in the matter at all. (In that case, you'd better hope that some of the more expensive cabins are still open!) At least this is how it has worked in my experience.

I think when it comes to upgrades, a lot of people think of the US airline industry, where airlines usually upgrade as many people as they can, or at least as many members of their frequent flyer program as they can. If there are 30 business class seats and 100 economy seats, but only 20 business and 50 economy seats are full, they will take 10 people from economy and fill up those extra 10 business seats so long as there are at least 10 frequent flyer members in economy. Cruise lines don't work like this - they tend only to upgrade when they have to. If the top penthouse on the ship doesn't sell, they usually won't upgrade someone just to fill that suite. They might try to sell upgrades, but only do it for free if they have to. In some cases, they even try to sell them when they have no choice anyway - to see if anyone will pay for the upgrade, even though they're planning on giving the upgrade away anyway if the person declines!

Archived