QE2 - January 3, 2006 - Six Day Crossing

eroller

Doug,

Were you on board for last December's QE2 crossing (12/15)? I wonder why that sailing seemed to be sold out and this one isn't.

John:

My wife and I met a few fellow passengers during last December's crossing who were making the crossing AND then staying onboard for the Caribbean Cruise which followed immediately out of NY.

Maybe the combination of (a) QE2 lovers/Liner Loonies, (b) passengers starting the World Cruise in Southampton, © those doing the crossing + the Caribbean Cruise, and (d) those who jumped on the "last minute" deal marketed in the UK (crossing plus a couple of nights at the Sheraton Towers in NYC,etc.) all conspired to fill the ship up ???

Tom

Tom,

I guess it could be some or all of those things. Well, I guess whether it's a full ship or not we'll all manage to have a great time on board. I'll be leaving for London exactly a month from today!

John:

Yes, we will indeed have a fabulous time aboard QE2, whether there are 16 or 1600 passengers !!

We'll be preceeding you in London by one day; yesterday was our "one month to go" day !!!

After all these months it's hard to imagine that we're almost there !!!

Tom

This thread has been going on for quite some time now, so I can't remember if I read it here or somewhere else, but is John Maxtone Graham lecturing during the January crossing?

According to the Cunard website, the only "official" lecturer onboard the January 3rd QE2 sailing is as follows:

Jan 3 2006 – Jan 9 2006

World Cruise: Southampton to New York • Southampton-New York, New York

Alastair Bruce

Alastair Bruce specializes inThe Modern Imperial Period (French Revolution to the end of the 2nd World War). This provides him with a background to the forming, administration and disbandment of the British Empire. His interest in the evolution of Kingship, that sprang from research into the coronation story, provides a detailed knowledge of the British Royal story from the Anglo Saxon times up until the present. Alastair's last book was published in 1999, called Keepers of the Kingdom. It looks at the incredible titles that survive still in the United Kingdom and discovers the stories that each has to tell about Britain's evolution. He is now Royal Event and Constitutional Commentator for Sky News, Britain's premier 24hour satellite news chanel. In this capacity, he also provides input for coverage of British matters on ABC, CNN and other American news gathering companies. In 1998, Alastair was appointed by The Queen to be one of Her Majesty's Officers of Arms, and he leads The Queen's procession when Parliament is opened or at Windsor Castle's annual service to celebrate the Order of the Garter (instituted by Edward III in 1348).

There are a number of us on board for the couple of extra days to Ft Lauderdale, myself included.

The NYC to LA crowd is meeting in the Yacht Club between 9:30 and 10:00 PM on Monday evening. Would love to have you all join us to learn of your voyage and to kick off the second leg of the World Cruise. Since The QE2 does not deliver the NYC folks back home, your voyage is actually the beginning leg of the World Cruise, promotinal material not withstanding.

A dining question - With the open time range for the Coronia Dining room, how does a solo cruiser manage? Does Cunard try to seat singles together?

Not looking forward to arriving at a table for ten just as the other 8-9 folks are just finishing up dessert.

Well, Alistair Bruce sounds interesting enough, but I was really hoping for John Maxtome Graham. Maybe he'll at least be on board as a passenger.

Actually, John Maxtone-Graham will be sailing with us aboard the QM2 January 3, 2006 Panama and Caribbean Voyage. I'm really looking forward to seeing one of his lectures.

Cruiserking

Actually, John Maxtone-Graham will be sailing with us aboard the QM2 January 3, 2006 Panama and Caribbean Voyage. I'm really looking forward to seeing one of his lectures.

Cruiserking

Lucky you! You're in for a treat. Too bad for us on the QE2 departing the same day. :(

This solves the mystery once and for all. I don't think there will be any ocean liner lectures featured on the QE2 crossing.

Ernie

A dining question - With the open time range for the Coronia Dining room, how does a solo cruiser manage?

If you would like to be seated with other singles, I would request it to the Maitre D' your first afternoon onboard.

The way I understand it, on the first night in Caronia the table mutually decides on a good dinner time for the rest of the voyage. This way you don't have people arriving during different courses. Of course it is entirely up to you what time you want to dine (during the specified hours) regardless of what your table mates decide on.

Ernie

This solves the mystery once and for all.

I'm not so sure... Maybe wishful thinking, but this could be an error in Cunard's web site. (Such things have been known to happen ;) .)

I'm going to investigate this a bit further but until I can get confirmation otherwise, I trust Peter who was at his lecture in London in September more than I trust the Cunard site.

I'm not so sure... Maybe wishful thinking, but this could be an error in Cunard's web site.

True, websites can have errors. Even so, in this instance I'm going to have to go with whats on Cunard's website unless otherwise confirmed. Even if Maxtone-Graham was sailing QE2 on 1/3, he wasn't planning on lecturing to my knowledge. It makes more sense he will be onboard QM2 as a lecturer just as the Cunard website states. I think Cunard would have some explaining to do if he wasn't going to be onboard, after all, it's very possible his presence as a lecturer could have been reason enough for some people to book.

Ernie

Even so, in this instance I'm going to have to go with whats on Cunard's website unless otherwise confirmed.

Well, watch this space... As I do intend to get a confirmation one way or the other.

Even if Maxtone-Graham was sailing QE2 on 1/3, he wasn't planning on lecturing to my knowledge.

IMHO if he was planning on sailing he was probably planning on lecturing too.

I have a feeling the Cunard lecture listings are not entirely complete and/or accurate. I just had a look at the UK Cunard site and it mentions no lecturers at all for our crossing. (To be fair, it does have Maxtone-Graham listed on QM2 3 Jan.)

it's very possible his presence as a lecturer could have been reason enough for some people to book.

Well, I've seen worse mistakes...

Anyhow, I agree with you that he is probably going to be on QM2, but I do assume that he was at least planning on taking our crossing. Either way I will certainly try to find out what the story is here and clear the whole thing up.

Well, watch this space... As I do intend to get a confirmation one way or the other.

IMHO if he was planning on sailing he was probably planning on lecturing too.

I have a feeling the Cunard lecture listings are not entirely complete and/or accurate. I just had a look at the UK Cunard site and it mentions no lecturers at all for our crossing. (To be fair, it does have Maxtone-Graham listed on QM2 3 Jan.)

Well, I've seen worse mistakes...

Anyhow, I agree with you that he is probably going to be on QM2, but I do assume that he was at least planning on taking our crossing. Either way I will certainly try to find out what the story is here and clear the whole thing up.

Doug,

John M-G will b on board QE2. Also Ted Scull will be on board... lecturing.

Stephen

Has anyone received their tickets, etc yet? It seems just about that time...

Our 'wrong ones' arrived last week. The 'right' ones should be arriving this week or next.

We also received our flights two Fridays ago. Flights from our airport sold out that Monday, so we were concerned. However, The did manage to get us seats; First Class! I can hardly wait!

After moving on the weekend, and unpacking all week, Our vacation can't come soon enough!

Doug,

John M-G will b on board QE2.

Well, it would be nice if Maxtone-Graham was onboard the QE2. Of course if he is not lecturing then it really doesn't matter. He usually cruises on his own time with his wife, and I have no intention on bothering them on their vacation if that is the case.

I can't understand why Cunard would have him listed as lecturing on the QM2 on the website. Pretty big mistake in my opinion, but they have been known to do worse. In many cases they don't even know their own two ships, so the fact that both leave on the same day may have "confused" them. Pretty sad.

I think I'll shoot an email off to Cunard to see what they have to say. I'm hoping he will actually be lecturing on QE2, as I greatly enjoy his presentations.

Ernie

Peter:

It appears as if you're making your way to the Queen Elizabeth II Terminal "the long way"...via South East Asia !!!

Presumably Cunard has "upgraded" you by sending you on a pre-crossing free tour of Singapore and Jakarta ???

Tom;)

Tom,

It gets longer yet...I have finally arrived in Sydney and am staying with my brother & his family, enjoying losing at dominoes to my neice and nephew......despite the delights of Raffles Class on Singapore Airline I've been feeling pretty conked out since this odyssey began....and am only now feeling vaguely human - how different, how very different, from our own dear crossing this coming January - it really is the only way to travel!

Peter

Peter:

Well best wishes to you for your current trip, and godspeed back home. We'll look forward to tales of Australia & SE Asia over drinks in the Chart Room, Yacht Club, Champagne bar....and/or the odd deck chair, if need be !!!

Tom:) (from the cold, snowy Upper Midwest of the USA....unlike, I would guess, Sydney !!!)

John M-G will b on board QE2. Also Ted Scull will be on board... lecturing.

Both lecturing or just Ted?

Either way, with you, Ted, and Peter all saying that JMG will be on board, I'm pretty convinced.

Obviously the Cunard web site is not exactly up to snuff as far as listing lecturers. (Well, it's not up to snuff in a lot of other ways, too...)

On the ticket front... We just got our "pre-cruise booklet". I have never exactly seen a pre-cruise booklet before. The usual procedure on HAL, Princess, etc. is to send out the shore excursion booklet after booking (or as soon as it's released, if one booked very early), and then to send out the documents around six weeks before departure. But it's been less than six weeks and apparently tickets are not in evidence yet. I'm not surprised as we booked fairly late, but surely others should be getting theirs now?

Anyhow, back to this pre-cruise booklet thing... It's quite fun because it assumes we're going on the full cruise; it even includes our visa applications for India and China! It also ranks as the worst-designed piece of pre-cruise documentation I've ever seen; the cover is nice (matches Cunard brochures and advertising materials) but the contents are not well designed. There's very little in there of any interest except an order form for transfers at embarkation and disembarkation, the visa stuff, and - and this I thought was hilarious - a "Ball Schedule". I'm sure this is nothing new to those of you who have already done world cruise segments before, but it's certainly new to me. The suggested dress for some of these balls is almost (note, almost enough to make me happy that we'll be disembarking before 14 Jan when the first ball is given...

Archived