QE2 - January 3, 2006 - Six Day Crossing

eroller

But my anxiety won't be assuaged until I have them in hand.

Well, as others pointed out, there's nothing to be really anxious about - at this point documents are just a formality.

What is important is that Cunard got your "guest registration form" (immigration information). As long as you're in their computer system, the documents don't mean much.

We've been upgraded from a C4 guarantee to C3 stateroom 4230, which on the current deck plans looks fairly decent in terms of size and location.

C4 is probably a good category to choose (for an upgrade) as there are only six C4 cabins. I imagine they often sell more C4 cabins than actually exist.

The C3 cabins should all be pretty nice, I think. Most C3 cabins were originally the most expensive tourist-class cabins (or cabin-class if she had been a three-class ship) so they have bathtubs etc. and most are over 200 sq ft.

As Ernie mentions above, 4230 is not a C3... I guess you probably mean 4203, the only C3 I can find with similar numbers. This is a pretty large cabin, 201 sq ft, and looks to be in a pretty good location. I'm not sure about layout; according to the original plans the bed configuration is L-shaped and one bed is a sofa but the present deck plans do not indicate this so it is possible that the layout was altered at some point to avoid this rather undesirable situation. (In contrast, some C2 grade cabins, located in the old first-class section, do still have such a configuration according to the present deck plan.)

It seems as though Cunard no longer uses British Airways--a consequence of the Princessification of their reservations operation? Oh well...

According to Cunard, Virgin Atlantic is their "preferred" carrier, followed by BA, and others. In other words, according to them, you, I and others have put on AA flights simply because the VS and BA flights were sold out (in the cheap seats).

I would not be too terribly worried as you do have a three-hour layover. You'd need a pretty long delay to miss your connecting BOS-LHR flight. Also keep in mind that adverse weather conditions at EWR or BOS would probably not only delay your EWR-BOS flight but also the BOS-LHR flight.

Does anyone know if we'll have Captain Bates? Or is Captain Rynd now in command?

Unless something has changed, Capt. Rynd will be in command. I am told that he is aware that we shall be invading his ship :) ...

If you need to do this, make sure and tell the airline so they wont cancel the Boston London flight when you do not show a Newark.

Unfortunately, I don't think that will make any difference. As far as I know, if you have been ticketed for an EWR-BOS-LHR itinerary and you don't show up at EWR, your ticket is void for the BOS-LHR segment. It makes no difference whether they've been informed or not.

PS: Looks like we are now on page 25 of this thread. I wonder how many pages it will get to before we finally leave :) ?

Jon,

Where are those a/c outlets? Are they on every deck? I don't recall any excessive corridor noise last time I was on QE2.

I'm in cabin 4143 and I believe the engine uptake is directly across from my cabin door (and all the cabins in this area). Sometimes this can be noisy or hot, but I've read nothing that indicates it's a problem area QE2.

Ernie

You are almost directly beneath my cabin, 3099, so I wonder if I will have a noise problem if the vents go straight up through the ship.

Chris

I called Cunard and they say my documents were sent to my TA yesterday. We won't be waiting long for our tickets this side of the pond.

I am in one of transat's "servant's cabins" on three deck....right beside the air conditioning outlets....I'll bring ear plugs.

Well remember, at one time those cabins were listed as First Class inside singles. From Servants accomodation to first class accomodation to mauratania accomodation, they have really changed their status over the years

As Ernie mentions above, 4230 is not a C3... I guess you probably mean 4203, the only C3 I can find with similar numbers. This is a pretty large cabin, 201 sq ft, and looks to be in a pretty good location. I'm not sure about layout; according to the original plans the bed configuration is L-shaped and one bed is a sofa but the present deck plans do not indicate this so it is possible that the layout was altered at some point to avoid this rather undesirable situation.

Here is the layout of cabin 4203, based on the original plans from QE2.

As Doug mentioned, it's likely that the bedding arrangement has changed. If one bed were a sofa bed, the symbol ">" should appear on the current deck plan. Look at cabin 2039 as an example. In any case, cabin 4203 doesn't have the symbol.

I find it so interesting and odd that even cabins on QE2 that are essentially the same, have small differences. Looking at the cabins on either side of 4203, the closets are positioned slightly different. Now why on earth would they make just cabin 4203 different? I just doesn't make sense to me.

Ernie

QE2Cabin4203-vi.jpg?216374

I think many on this board are pretty fascinated with the variety of cabins on QE2. We certainly have had some fun talking about all our assignments. I know I have. Certainly the variety of cabins is one aspect of many that sets QE2 apart from the cookie cutter cruise ships.

Would anyone be interested in a "cabin hopping" expedition one afternoon? We are all booked in a wide variety of cabin types and it sure would be interesting and fun to have a look at each others cabins.

I can understand if some people don't want to participate as your cabin is definitely your personal space. None the less I'm more than willing to have people check out my cabin, and maybe others feel the same way?

Any interest? We have to do something to occupy ourselves on all those sea days! ;)

Ernie

Hi John,

It can't be cabin 4230. That is a Category MI, inside single. Maybe you got some numbers transposed?

Ernie

Hello Ernie,

Yes, of course you are right. In my excitement, I inadvertantly transposed the numbers and thereby downgraded myself to an MI single (much to my wife's consternation!)

Many thanks for posting the copy of the old deck plan showing the layout of 4203. It doesn't look as quirky as I imagine the C4s must be, but I'm greatly looking forward to it nonetheless.

C4 is probably a good category to choose (for an upgrade) as there are only six C4 cabins. I imagine they often sell more C4 cabins than actually exist.

Yes, Doug, that's what I was hoping for when the TA offered us a C4 guarantee. Mind you, the shape of the C4s look unlike anything you'd see on a new cruise ship, and we'd have been close to the laundry--but you can't have everything.:)

My recommendation is if there is any possibility of bad weather that day in the NY area with the resulting delays, take a train to Boston.

Truth be told, that would be my first choice in any weather. All things being equal, I'd rather chance the dubious track record of Amtrak than hurtle through the sky in a dinky Embraer 35; but as Doug correctly points out, the airlines throw a damper on this sort of initiative.

Would anyone be interested in a "cabin hopping" expedition one afternoon? We are all booked in a wide variety of cabin types and it sure would be interesting and fun to have a look at each others cabins.

That would certainly add interest to what already has the makings of a most adventurous crossing--a unique addendum to any investigation of the public rooms we might make with the old deck plans as a guide (as discussed by others some pages ago).

Thanks to you all for the information, advice, & good cheer.

Best regards,

John

Ernie

I think that's a capital idea, Ernie. I'd like to add one restriction though. If someone isn't willing to open their room for us to admire then they are not invited to join "The Cavalcade of Cabins". What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

The TA called today with a new room assignment. I told him something like, "1067 will be just fine, thank you!" ;)

Ernie,

What a splendid idea!!!! Count us in and if you don't mind the mess, our cabin is open to all. And please post again the times of our get togethers AND proposed days/times for exploring the ship together. Will our new dining arrangements have any impact on the get togethers?

Gina

Ernie,

What a splendid idea!!!! Count us in and if you don't mind the mess, our cabin is open to all. And please post again the times of our get togethers AND proposed days/times for exploring the ship together. Will our new dining arrangements have any impact on the get togethers?

Gina

Hi Gina,

"Cabin Catastrophes" are perfectly acceptable! ;) It will be fun just to have a peak at so many cabin varieties.

I'm sure we can work out the meeting times around everyone's dining schedule. There are actually times when no one is eating! Hard to believe I know. ;)

Ernie

we can see how many people can fit in a inside single cabin
and then shall we order from room service?;)

Count us in on the Crossing Club's Cavalcade of Cabins!

We're expecting to receive our tickets on Monday, which is exactly one week from the day we depart!

Congratulations to all those who received that coveted upgrade to the Princess/Britannia Grills. Do you suppose TPTB bet that once you experienced them you might never consider any other accommodation? :)

Just called Cunard for my cabin assignment. I'm in 4248 - looks to be a large C5. Does anyone know how they lay out the furniture in these strangely shaped rooms. The website says it has three lower beds (I guess I can always have a slumber party!)

Julia

Dear Fellow Members of the Winter Crossing Club:

I need to ask your indulgence in a matter.

Jan and I have a friend named Mike who is making the trip to England and the Jan. 3 crossing with us. Actually this will be his third QE2 crossing. He is a great guy and like a brother to us. He's in an MI cabin on Two Deck.

I know that he has visited our thread numerous times over the course of this year, and therefore knows all of you.

Despite many suggestions from me, as of this late date Mike has still not signed-up on the CC Boards, and by extension not "joined" our Club.

Knowing his fondness for: (a) good company, (b) The Chart Room, and © the odd "adult beverage" I know that he will be wanting to join all of us for one (if not both) of our meetings !! With that in mind, do I have unanimous consent to bestow upon Mike "Associate Membership" status in the Winter Crossing Club, and thereby allow him to join us ???

I further propose that his screen name/nickname be: "Commodore Mik" (no "E" for the nickname)

Please take pity on me, I really don't want to see a grown man cry !!!

Tom:)

With that in mind, do I have unanimous consent to bestow upon Mike "Associate Membership" status in the Winter Crossing Club, and thereby allow him to join us ???

Tom,

I consider you the Chairman of the Winter Crossing Club (WCC), so by all means if Mike is a friend of yours, then he is a friend of the "Club". ;)

As far as I'm concerned, he is admitted. Let him know he may receive a lashing (we no longer make people walk the plank) for not "officially" joining here on CC. Of course he will have to undertake the customary "initiation" requirements onboard the QE2 since he did not join beforehand.! ;)

Basically, he will be required to buy a round of drinks for all WCC members. Just kidding. ;)

Ernie

Just called Cunard for my cabin assignment. I'm in 4248 - looks to be a large C5. Does anyone know how they lay out the furniture in these strangely shaped rooms. The website says it has three lower beds (I guess I can always have a slumber party!)

Julia

Julia,

This is a GREAT cabin! In fact I was originally booked in it for a while on this crossing (I've changed cabins a few times) ;) The only reason I changed was I decided to go a little more midship. Anyway, it's one of of the largest cabins in the "C" category at over 200 sq ft. It's got a sofa and an extra dresser, plus it's not a connecting cabin which should make it more quiet. It also seems a bit wider than most of the other C5 cabins.

Attached is a layout.

Ernie

QE2Cabin4248-vi.jpg?313406

From Servants accomodation to first class accomodation to mauratania accomodation, they have really changed their status over the years

When they were "servants quarters" they were first-class. They may have been put there with servants in mind, but it was quite possible to book regular first-class passage in them too.

Indeed I don't really like the word "servant" but I can't think of a better one... The people who would have used them would have been what one would today call a "personal assistant", or a nanny.

Would anyone be interested in a "cabin hopping" expedition one afternoon?

Absolutely!

Since a lot of cabins will probably be unoccupied on this crossing, I was actually thinking of asking the hotel manager if perhaps we could have a peek in some of those. Variation on the same theme, I guess...

The website says it has three lower beds (I guess I can always have a slumber party!)

Well, Ernie's already posted the layout below, but just to add to that - your third lower bed (on the layout it's marked "3") is actually a sofa, at least unless you do decide to have that slumber party!

When Ernie had this cabin, I had done some searching and found a page with a photo of what I think must be it. Unfortunately, that site seems to be down right now... If it comes back up, I'll post the link.

Aside from the fact that it's far aft, it should be a very nice cabin. It's pretty huge at 214 sq ft...

do I have unanimous consent to bestow upon Mike "Associate Membership" status in the Winter Crossing Club, and thereby allow him to join us ???

Well, I can't speak for all our members, but as the only Host who belongs to this exclusive club, I give my consent :) .

I further propose that his screen name/nickname be: "Commodore Mik" (no "E" for the nickname)

Someone pipe the commodore aboard and into The Winter Crosing Club soon. I certainly don't want to see anyone crying on this crossing. After all it's the Winter Crossing Club and not Cruise Critics' Winter Crossing Club

There's another Mike, this one from London, that post on another board under the nom de plume MEC1. His knowledge and love of passenger shipping, in my humble opinion, should get him into The W.C.C. too with all of the rights and privileges that such membership allows!

There's another Mike, this one from London, that post on another board under the nom de plume MEC1. His knowledge and love of passenger shipping, in my humble opinion, should get him into The W.C.C. too with all of the rights and privileges that such membership allows!

Agreed. In fact he is sailing on the MARCO POLO as we speak, another "classic".

I'm looking forward to meeting Mike and we have emailed a few times about this crossing.

Ernie

After all it's the Winter Crossing Club and not Cruise Critics' Winter Crossing Club

I agree... The more the merrier. Being a friend of a Cruise Critic member is good enough for me. So bring/invite your friends, relatives, partners, etc. - if they like ships enough to be on this crossing, that's good enough for me :) !

I agree... The more the merrier - if they like ships enough to be on this crossing, that's good enough for me :) !

Here Here! I will also nominate my travelling companion Jon, who already has a stormy QE2 December crossing under his belt - and who I'll need to persuade to sign up for the Cabin Cavalcade!

Peter, Singapore

Archived