QE2 - January 3, 2006 - Six Day Crossing

eroller

I just got my cabin assignment. 1012,

Allis154

I was in this neighborhood last winter. The nice thing about One Deck is that you're always close enough to your cabin without bothering with elevators or too many flights of stairs. And you're right around the corner from the one deck shop that's stocked with sundries and other necessities. Like Cadbury bars. Don't try to get to your cabin from the "A" stairway though.

Cunard has informed my TA that I will not be assigned my cabin until I check in at the terminal in Southampton.

QE2 Winter Crossing Club

January 2006 Crossing

Southampton-NY

* Brian Boru (Chris)

* Stowaway 2K (Kyle)

* Ken W

* sfo-john

* transat jon

* guernseyguy (Peter)

* eroller (Ernie)

* Cruisin Pup

* Richard Schmidt

* Mr. Murdoch

* Transatlantic Tom (Tom & Jan)

* juliecat (julia)

* Calliope (Frank)

* Bluenoser

* Confetti (Cheryl)

* transat (Chris)

* sandiegoprincess (Sandi)

* seagreen

* tandemtourer (Rebecca)

* captaintandem (Tom)

* Post Captain (John & Maureen)

* greatam (Dennis & Gina)

* Allis154 (Kyla & Troy)

* Peter B

* Host Doug

* NewtoQE2 (Christy)

* Commodore Mik (Mike)

* Chris & Angela

* Jon

Really, I told my TA when he called with another upgrade from Cunard, "room 1067 will be just fine, thank you!"

I thought you were pulling our collective leg the first time you said that!

So let's get this straight - you and Cheryl got upgraded from a C6 to a C2 to a P2 to a Q4 all without paying?

Is there something you're not telling us... Like Cheryl is Carol Marlow's sister ;) ?

I was chatting about upgrades yesterday with a friend who is a very frequent QE2 passenger (he won't be on this crossing, unfortunately). He said upgrades are fairly common, but only ever "one jump", e.g. M to C. He said they never do multiple "jumps"; for example, M to P. So what can I say... Congratulations, again, again!

We upgraded to an M1 a few weeks ago.
I just got my cabin assignment. 1012, a C2 cabin.

Well, congratulations to you too! I assume the M4 to M1 upgrade was paid, but M1 to C2 is still great!

The nice thing about One Deck is that you're always close enough to your cabin without bothering with elevators or too many flights of stairs.

Unless you're going back "home" from one of the indoor pools. Or (heaven forbid) the hospital.

Otherwise, one deck does look really convenient. Personally, I've always dreamed of having one of those one deck Q3 cabins - you know, the ones with the huge oval three-paned windows...

Cunard has informed my TA that I will not be assigned my cabin until I check in at the terminal in Southampton.

When you get there, demand "best available" :) ! Explain that you've been waiting something like 18 months for your cabin assignment, so you deserve a killer upgrade...

Seriously, it seems as though a lot of you have hit the upgrade jackpot on this one - I can only guess that my relatively last-minute booking has put a big black mark on my record... "No upgrades!"

Hi, I was browsing your thread and thought maybe someone could answer a question for me. I am on a later QE2 sailing and am in a single PG which is either 2113 or 2120 and wondered if anyone had a layout of those cabins. Thanks for the help.

Have people been keeping an eye on the sea state predictions from http://www.fnmoc.navy.mil and facs.scripps.edu/?

On 24Dec05 there looks like one heck of a storm mid Atlantic. Significant wave heights above 30' predicted (although they do tend to predict worst case). It generally takes about two weeks for these things to come around so we might be just in the middle of the next one.

Today I even started the first stage of packing : I have put the clothes I intend to take with me asside in a separate wardrobe.

It is just over two weeks away.

3rd night at sea: Mauretania Main - 5:45pm Mauretania Late - 8:00pm

I was thinking, if the sailing is really light in terms of passenger loads, then dinner in the Mauretania might go to single sitting like the Grills and Caronia.

Just a thought.

Ernie

if the sailing is really light in terms of passenger loads, then dinner in the Mauretania might go to single sitting like the Grills and Caronia.

Well, it could be possible if they upgrade enough people out of there ;) !

Seriously, I know some lines do this... However I'm not sure if it would happen in this instance. I was once in a conversation where the issue was raised as to why a given line (not Cunard) did not move to single-seating dining on a world cruise segment where the ship was less than half full. The response was that they didn't want full-cruise passengers to have to change tablemates, which would have been necessitated if they were to switch back to two-seating in mid-cruise.

Seems pretty logical to me. Now, were this not a segment of a longer cruise, it might be a whole different story...

Seems pretty logical to me. Now, were this not a segment of a longer cruise, it might be a whole different story...

I understand your reasoning. Having just looked at availability for the sailing I don't think it will matter.

Apparently Cunard has been successful in filling up the sailing. All special promos are closed with no waitlist in all categories.

I checked full fare, FIT pricing and the only thing available is:

MI - $1732

MO - $2248

QG (Queen's Grill Gtee) - $7174 per person

Q2 - $10799 per person

QS - $14879 per person (yikes!!!)

All other categories are closed with no waitlist.

Possibly we will have a full ship after all!

Ernie

Possibly we will have a full ship after all!

The more the merrier! Then a good storm to thin things out a bit!;) Just discovered a former Transatlantic crossing dining tablemate is joining us - Jeff and friend Marlene - I dined with Jeff at a hoot of a table on the CARONIA's last westbound Transtalantic - which was entertainingly bumpy, also sailing early January....but on the Southerly route to FLL. So I wonder what a North Atlantic January crossing will be like :eek:

If the ship is full, I may reconsider Cunard's request to check in at noon - I've queued enough for one lifetime in the QEII terminal.....possibly lunch in Southampton first.....

Peter

So I wonder what a North Atlantic January crossing will be like

Je ne sais pas - but keep in mind that QE2 is a lot bigger than CARONIA. And reportedly a lot more stable.

Apparently Cunard has been successful in filling up the sailing.

If so, then that would explain the upgrading, given that upgrading is usually uncommon on a fairly empty ship.

Perhaps the full-cruise pax took up most of the lower categories so they had to bump a lot of the people doing only the crossing up to higher categories? (Of course it would seem more logical to bump up the full-cruise pax but keep in mind that all those higher-category cabins might be needed once she gets to NY.)

QE2 is a lot bigger than CARONIA. And reportedly a lot more stable.

You malign the old gal! The CARONIA was a very fine sea boat - I'd much rather have had her long elegant prow slicing through the waves, than the stub-nose of the COSTA FORTUNA (truly, a name beyond parody!) we docked next to in Madeira. CARONIA's builders also built the original MAURETANIA....so they knew what they were doing!

Peter

I thought you were pulling our collective leg the first time you said that!

So let's get this straight - you and Cheryl got upgraded from a C6 to a C2 to a P2 to a Q4 all without paying?

Is there something you're not telling us... Like Cheryl is Carol Marlow's sister ;) ?

I was chatting about upgrades yesterday with a friend who is a very frequent QE2 passenger (he won't be on this crossing, unfortunately). He said upgrades are fairly common, but only ever "one jump", e.g. M to C. He said they never do multiple "jumps"; for example, M to P. So what can I say... Congratulations, again, again![uNQUOTE]

Actually what we paid before flash discount deals were offered was what the flash discount price for a C-2 ended up being. So in reality we were placed in a room that was at the going rate of what we paid. The upgrade to Princess and then Queens Grill certainly came as two huge surprises. I'm attributing it to having travelled with Cunard in the past, having two other Cunard cruises deposited and booked, and I think the most important factor is this trip is booked through a travel agency that has group space on several sailings throughout the year on Cunard ships.

Yes, we paid a couple of hundred dollars to upgrade from a M4 to a M1. When reports of the free upgrades came up here, we kept our fingers crossed that we would be upgraded, but would have been perfectly happy with the M1 cabin. We were very happy to get assigned a C2 cabin.

Yes, we paid a couple of hundred dollars to upgrade from a M4 to a M1. When reports of the free upgrades came up here, we kept our fingers crossed that we would be upgraded, but would have been perfectly happy with the M1 cabin. We were very happy to get assigned a C2 cabin.

Congratulations! This whole upgrade thing is so complicated - what with the 'Flash' promotions Cunard has been running. If we'd all paid the same price for the same grades, then there might be some possibility of working out how this works - but since some of us will have paid more for lower grades than others for higher ones, its probably impossible to tell. Book what you want, remember others will have paid both more and less than you, and enjoy! And I'm happy with my C5 and onboard credit for about 100 Dry Martinis......there ARE two of us, so thats only 50 each, not even 9 a day! Struggle struggle struggle.......

BTW, if anyone does open with the 'How much did you pay for your cabin?' gambit (translation, 'I got a great deal which I'm betting was better than yours') I found '$99, with a six category upgrade to balcony suite plus $500 onboard credit and helicopter transfers' usually took the wind out of their sails.....indeed some were so clueless they never worked out we were taking the Mickey......but that was Golden Princess, not Cunard.....

Peter

I never get into the "how much did you pay" discussion, regardless of where we are. Too much conterverousy. The last time I was on the QE2, one of my tablemates kept brining up the issue that I was on three deck and she was one five deck, so I must have paid a lot more for our cabin. It was very annoying and, in my opinion, rude. Besides, it wasn't her business what I pay for anything, unless I am asking her to pay for it!

Same goes for "So, what do you do for a living?" conversations. I find that most people form opinions on who you are by where you work. And, if you work for some places, like goverment, you can be subjected to a barrage of complaints and issues.

Ernie:

Considering that I love organization, order and lists (what a surprise, eh?) I am very impressed by your post from the other day with the listing of club members, meeting times/places, and cabins....Wow !!

FYI, I did an update yesterday of our WCC "membership" mostly to add Peter's "nomination" of Jon...

You do nice work, Ernie !!!

Can you believe that we're finally this close to departure ???

Tom:)

Same goes for "So, what do you do for a living?" conversations. I find that most people form opinions on who you are by where you work. And, if you work for some places, like goverment, you can be subjected to a barrage of complaints and issues.

I agree with you on the "how much did you pay" question. It's nobody's business. But the "what do you do for a living" question is fairly common, and I don't really have a problem with it. I consider it "small talk" which happens often on a cruise ship when meeting new people for the first time. Since you know very little about each other, it's one way to find out more and also see if there is any commonality. Mind you I rarely ask the question myself, but when asked I will reply and then ask them the same.

If you really want to make things interesting, you can come up with all sorts of shocking and fun professions .... such a prostitute on Hollywood Blvd! ;) Just kidding.

Ernie

Ernie:

Considering that I love organization, order and lists (what a surprise, eh?) I am very impressed by your post from the other day with the listing of club members, meeting times/places, and cabins....Wow !!

FYI, I did an update yesterday of our WCC "membership" mostly to add Peter's "nomination" of Jon...

You do nice work, Ernie !!!

Can you believe that we're finally this close to departure ???

Tom:)

Thank you Tom ... I appreciate that! Of course the WCC list was already completed by you, so my work was much easier. ;)

As my partner likes to remind me often, I'm a fairly anal person and very detail oriented. I enjoy things like maps, deck plans, statistics, lists, comparisons, etc. He thinks I'm nuts ... and maybe I am! ;)

Ernie

Same goes for "So, what do you do for a living?" conversations. I find that most people form opinions on who you are by where you work.

I've found 'Undertakers' (Funeral Director) 'Psychiatrist' or 'Tax Inspector' get people shifting uneasily and quickly changing the subject.....I was once thrown by 'Prostitute'....and came back rather lamely with 'Well, I guess you get to meet lots of different people....'

Peter

I've found 'Undertakers' (Funeral Director) 'Psychiatrist' or 'Tax Inspector' get people shifting uneasily and quickly changing the subject.....I was once thrown by 'Prostitute'....and came back rather lamely with 'Well, I guess you get to meet lots of different people....'

Peter

Interesting way to answer the question. I'll have to remember those..

Thank you Tom ... I appreciate that! Of course the WCC list was already completed by you, so my work was much easier. ;)

As my partner likes to remind me often, I'm a fairly anal person and very detail oriented. I enjoy things like maps, deck plans, statistics, lists, comparisons, etc. He thinks I'm nuts ... and maybe I am! ;)

Ernie

Ernie:

If a love of maps, deck plans, statistics, lists, comparisons, etc is grounds for being nuts - he can consider me to be nuts, too !!!

I look forward to sharing some of this with you...I'm bringing along my copy of the 1968 preliminary QE2 deck plans (like your copy), and a couple of late 60s/early 70s Cunard brochures to share with you, Peter, and others "so afflicted" !!!

Tom;)

I look forward to sharing some of this with you...I'm bringing along my copy of the 1968 preliminary QE2 deck plans (like your copy), and a couple of late 60s/early 70s Cunard brochures to share with you, Peter, and others "so afflicted" !!!

Tom;)

Tom,

I'm looking forward to it! I'll be doing the same.

Ernie

Cabin Cavalcade

:) Have just found out that we are back in 4149 after a mix up. We are very pleased as this cabin has exceptional storage. Three large wardrobes, and a long run of drawers with an equally long run of top for drinks, laptop, books etc. All very useful for nearly four months at sea.:)

Peter

Hey Tom & Ernie

I have to joins the lists and maps club as well. Have a look at

http://website.lineone.net/~jonclair/qe2_jan06/index.htm

for my Winter Crossing Cub lists and maps. There are a lot of maps so will take a while to download. Still working on this at the moment so it will get a little better next weekend. I am still getting my choice of maps sorted out.

Some of the links are to http://www.fnmoc.navy.mil which always give a security alert warning, which is a bit annoying! The problem is they have the best maps.

Jon:

I just took a look at your site for our crossing - Very Impressive !! Thanks for letting us know about it. I have to say this is turning out to be quite an outstanding group. The ship and crossing, of course, make the voyage more than worthwhile in the first place, but this wonderful collection of QE2 fans will no doubt add to the fun.

By the way, if you have any old brochures, deckplans, etc. please bring them along.

Tom

Archived