Astoria, Oregon

JoyAnn

Anyone been there? I posted questions on the Port of Call area on CC, but no replies yet. Figured I'd try here.

We have a tour of the town that HAL gives, and I'm also planning on going to Capt. Flavel's house museum on our own. But I want to know if the trolley runs as late as Sept. 17 as it is "all volunteer" and whether or not they will still have those free buses and the "never on sunday" market at the pier at that date. Can't get anyone on the web site to answer me.

I don't want to rent a car, I just want to know if I can get around easily to go to the museum, get a good lunch somewhere (suggestions would be appreciated) and buy some water and soda before getting back on the ship.

Any locals here or anyone else who has visited this port?

TIA

Check this website for a little more info on Astoria. www.oldoregon.com

It looks like the trolly will still run on weekends after summer is over.

I only live about 1 1/2 hours from Astoria. It's a very quaint small town. You soundn't need to rent a car to get around. Check out the website and let me know if you still have questions. It's been a while since I've been there but maybe I can help. Good luck!

Yes, it goes to Ft. Clatsop and the column and many of the other highlights, including some beaches. I did quite a bit of research on the town because HAL didn't have any excursions listed until I sent an e-mail a few weeks ago and asked them why they weren't including Astoria on the excursion list for this cruise. Next day two popped up. Unfortunately, the Mt. St. Helens trip isn't one of them; perhaps because of the activity on the moutain right now, who knows.

If your tour takes you up to the Astoria Column you will be treated to a panoramic view of the town and harbor. It's beautiful up there.

Yes, thank you! That is what I couldn't find out on the sites I visited. I will check out your link! I will definitely come to you if I have more quiestions!

Check this website for a little more info on Astoria. www.oldoregon.com

It looks like the trolly will still run on weekends after summer is over.

I only live about 1 1/2 hours from Astoria. It's a very quaint small town. You soundn't need to rent a car to get around. Check out the website and let me know if you still have questions. It's been a while since I've been there but maybe I can help. Good luck!

They aren't offering that trip on this cruise, for some reason, I really would have been interested. But the tour I signed up for sounds pretty interesting and then we will have plenty of time to check out the other points of interest and do some shopping. I'm going to look at your pictures, thanks again, Reverend. I do know that they used this town in "The Ring 2" which we rented on DVD this summer.

I have visited this port. We took the Mt. Saint Helens excursion trip ... so I can't tell you much about the port itself. It's a lovely town. We were there with the Amsterdam. I have a few pictures from there, if you like ... check this link

http://homepage.mac.com/revneal/panamacanal/PhotoAlbum24.html

Kindergarden Cop? That was just on again last week, darn, I missed it!

I do know that they used this town in "The Ring 2" which we rented on DVD this summer.>>>

they also shot scenes from free willy here and also scenes from an governor arnold movie about cops and kids

They also filmed most of the movie The Goonies in Astoria. Recently several of the "stars" (and I use that term loosely) were in town for I think a 20 year anniversary deal.

I might just have to take the drive to Astoria one a weekend when HAL is docked. Love to see one of the ships up close and personal prior to our trip in October.

September 17 is a Saturday!

They also filmed most of the movie The Goonies in Astoria. Recently several of the "stars" (and I use that term loosely) were in town for I think a 20 year anniversary deal.

I might just have to take the drive to Astoria one a weekend when HAL is docked. Love to see one of the ships up close and personal prior to our trip in October.

That was the other tour that was offered, cannon beach and surrounding area. I had to choose between the two because I think they are offered close together or overlapping.

great place to visit is cannon beach about 30 or so minutes south of astoria on hwy 101

My dh and I have fond memories of Astoria all the time...2 local ladies made pottery, Raku to be specific, and sold their wares at the terminal area. They had just made 2 beautiful salmon for the 1st. time. My dh and I grabbed both! We have a lake home and they reside on our hearth! We get so many lovely coments about them!:p

I love taking home art or arts and crafts as a "souviner" of my travels. We brought home the most beautiful hand made and hand painted bowl in April from our timeshare resort in Cancun. The artist was working one of the kiosks the resort has set up where you can paint your own pottery, but he also sold his own work. This amazing footed bowl was only $30. It sits on my dining room table now. I am going to bring back more next time I go.

My dh and I have fond memories of Astoria all the time...2 local ladies made pottery, Raku to be specific, and sold their wares at the terminal area. They had just made 2 beautiful salmon for the 1st. time. My dh and I grabbed both! We have a lake home and they reside on our hearth! We get so many lovely coments about them!:p

Mt. St. Helens Live Camera:

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/

the site also has visitor info and area restrictions links. Looks like most areas are open again except for climbing the mountain and certain trails. The area is definitely worth visiting but it is a longish drive from Astoria. 3 hours at least each way by the time you get up the roa dinto the monument area.

If you are in to history and the whole Lewis & Clark story Ft. Clatsop is very interesting. Amazing the small space they lived in for one dreary drizzly winter.

The Columbia River Maritime Museum is pretty interesting too if there is a tour that stops there:

http://www.crmm.org/ (site also has a live web cam of the river)

Hi Sequim, thank you. Yes, I see its a very long drive. I would have taken the excursion if HAL had offered it but I don't want to risk it with such a long drive in case something happens and we don't get back in time It's a long way from Astoria to Hilo ;-P

The tour we signed up for stops at the Astoria Column, Fort Clatsop, Union Town, Dougboy Monument, Victorian Homes and Churches and the Maritime Museum.

QUOTE=Sequim88]Mt. St. Helens Live Camera:

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/

the site also has visitor info and area restrictions links. Looks like most areas are open again except for climbing the mountain and certain trails. The area is definitely worth visiting but it is a longish drive from Astoria. 3 hours at least each way by the time you get up the roa dinto the monument area.

If you are in to history and the whole Lewis & Clark story Ft. Clatsop is very interesting. Amazing the small space they lived in for one dreary drizzly winter.

The Columbia River Maritime Museum is pretty interesting too if there is a tour that stops there:

http://www.crmm.org/ (site also has a live web cam of the river)

Astoria is a small town, but when we were there last year, they showed their best side. The highschool band greeted us, and they had a shuttle bus into town. There were a few crafts at the pier. As we are regulars at the beach (10 miles from Astoria,) we elected to take the shuttle into town and walk around. I would suggest a trip to Mt.St. Hellens if it becomes available. It is a nice drive, and the mountain is a must. Hopefully they will add that tour for you. It is a 3 hour trip each way, so time may be a handycap. If that tour is not available, the maritime museum would be the thing to do. The shuttle drops you off at the front door, and you can plan on 2 to 3 hours at the museum.

Hello, SC, yes, it is my first choice to see MSH. I keep checking. If they do add it, I will switch my tour. It's a long trip, 8 hours or so, from the description, but we have enough time if they offer it. I just don't want to do it on our own in case something goes wrong and we can't get back to the ship on time. I'm NOT flying to Hilo!

The Maritime Museum is on the tour we are taking now. After the tour I plan on having lunch somewhere (if you have a suggestion, I'd love to hear it), and go to the Capt. Flavel (I think that is what it is called) House Museum, and then look for somewhere to shop for canned soda and bottled water before we got back to the ship. Hopefully we will find a store near the pier. I also want to check out the crafters at the pier. I read about the nice welcome that the town puts on for the ship visitors, I think that is wonderful.

Astoria is a small town, but when we were there last year, they showed their best side. The highschool band greeted us, and they had a shuttle bus into town. There were a few crafts at the pier. As we are regulars at the beach (10 miles from Astoria,) we elected to take the shuttle into town and walk around. I would suggest a trip to Mt.St. Hellens if it becomes available. It is a nice drive, and the mountain is a must. Hopefully they will add that tour for you. It is a 3 hour trip each way, so time may be a handycap. If that tour is not available, the maritime museum would be the thing to do. The shuttle drops you off at the front door, and you can plan on 2 to 3 hours at the museum.

For lunch....there are a bunch of choices. We had pretty decent meals a couple times at the Seafare Restaurant adjacent to the Red Lion Inn. Nice view of the marina too. Really good clam chowder. But it's been a few years since we were there and Astoria has grown some since then. We used to stop in Astoria fairly often on way from Tacoma area to Seaside, OR.

An informative web site (with Flavel House link)

http://www.oldoregon.com/

or http://www.astoriaoregon.com/ with lots of restaurant and other info

Hello Joy Ann,

I did receive a message from HAL that the Statendam will arrive to late for its HAL proposed tours – so no Shore Excursion available form HAL

Best regards,

G E R D

MS Ryndam – Wayfarer – March 1997

MS Noordam - Transatlantic Island Hook - April 2001

MS Volendam - Southern Caribbean - April 2002

MS Volendam - Westfarer Caribbean - April 2004

MS Prinsendam - Windmills & Waterford – September 20

MS Westerdam - Western Caribbean - April 2005

MS Statendam - Hawaii Circle - September 2005

82 days - around 22'200 Nm

Future cruises :

MS Rotterdam - Vikings and Czars - July 2006

MS RYNDAM - Southern Caribbean - March 2007 :)

Archived