St.Petersburg-seeking your opinions on the sights!

My TA recently advised me that the VISA to visit if $350 per person and therefore recommended using only the cruise tours as we would be covered by a "blanket" VISA for all their passengers. Can anyone verify this?

Also, any recommendations on personal tours. There will only be three of us.

Thanks.

You do not need to use a cruise tour. You can use a local tour company (lots of threads on the various agencies on CC) and you will not need to pay for a visa (which doesn't cost anywhere near $350 btw).

My TA recently advised me that the VISA to visit if $350 per person and therefore recommended using only the cruise tours as we would be covered by a "blanket" VISA for all their passengers. Can anyone verify this?

Also, any recommendations on personal tours. There will only be three of us.

Thanks.

The TA is probably getting a good kick back from the cruise line for out right lying to you about the visa. This has been covered in countless threads already. Do a quick search and you will find all the info on this that you will need.

You do need some sort of visa to enter Russia, but by booking with ANY private tour company, they supply a temporary visa for you and as long as you are off the ship with them, you are secure. Again, the TA is outright lying to you.

We have all been and know exactly what we are talking about.

As for which company you should use, that is up to you. there are 4-5 larger companies (again, do some reading and you will see for yourself). They all do a fantastic job. We used SPB Tours and simply loved them. Many, many people on this board have used them and all have been completely thrilled with their tours. But do your homework, write to several and see which one you feel most comfortable with.

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

Thanks for your help. My TA, while a very nice person, isn't really up-to-date with all her info. Don't think it is an actual "lie", she just doesn't go beyond what is easy to determine. I guess I should switch TAs, but haven't found anyone else, and since it isn't allowed to recommend TAs, guess I won't get one of the "terrific" ones that posters brag about.

In researching the tour companies in SPB recommended by CC cruisers, I find that the tour itineraries do not vary too much and most sights are pretty standard. We would like to arrange a tour that allows more time in the Hermitage, add the Russian museum, and maybe 1 or 2 other sights that aren't typically on the agenda. That of course will mean that some standard sights will have to be excluded, for a 2 day port stop.

If you have done one of these tours, which sights impressed you the most? Which were just okay, or, not really worth the time? In Rick Steves book about northern cruise ports, for example, he suggests dropping either Peterhof or Catherine's palace, due to palace 'overkill', and travel time. While I don't always agree with Rick Steves, it is an interesting point.

Of these sights usually included on tours, which were your most and least favourite?

Peterhof

Catherine's palace and Amber room

Hermitage

Peter and Paul fortress

Church on Spilled Blood

Nevsky Prospekt

St. Isaac's cathedral

Canal boat tour

Subway ride

Yusopov palace

Or if you think there is something not on the list that should be included as a favourite?

Appreciate all opinions!

Hi,

I have just returned form the Russia Scandinavia trip and yes it was mind blowing - I will probably get howled down but I agree with Rick Steve in some regards. And it depends what kind of a tourist you are. Inside and facts or more.

SO MUCH of Russia was shuffling along behind a crowd and looking at more gawdy, gold cheap looking shiny stuff. I know - Sacrilege hey! That's me.

So many of the places were so similar - everything gilded, elaborite ceilings, fancy molding on everything. And there is a huge emphasis on going inside and looking at every little detail. I think the Amber room was one of my biggest disapointments. It is literally a room with the walls plastered with amber - as a school teacher it reminded me of a kids mosiac where they didn't know where to stop.

I did love Church of the Spilt Blood, the Hermitage, the fountains and the gardens at Peterhof. They were all brilliant. One one of the palaces would have been enough. The subway was great but I don't think the actual ride was necessary. I liked Peter and Paul fortress (loved the outside - not just insdie the church), The canal trip was lovely but we didn't see anything that we hadn't seen out the car window during the previous three days.

We had a private guide but misinterpreted what would be happening. We thought that meant that we would be able to say what we wanted. "But this is how I have planned it...." A private guide is the way to go but be VERY FIRM about what YOU want, not how he normally does it.

I loved the driving around and seeing things like the Soviet housing projects, the wealthy areas, shops etc.

Overall Russia was amazing, wonderful, excessive, shiny, full of history! I loved it.

I just think that there was so much more to see than inside the 'classic' places. So yes, plan carefully and add extra time to what you think will interes you and cut other things.

Here is my report if you are interested.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2070839

Have a brillinat time!

Raina

I had the same trouble a year ago and I did ask absolutely the same questions. You can buy cruise tours or use any of the local companies – you don’t need visa!!! After all the discussions we used a local company which provided us with a temporary visa. Please notice – it doesn’t look like a real visa at all. When I got this “visa” I was very confused but it works. It looks like a ticket – a tour ticket. Any way I’ve been there and I know for sure it works. It was not easy to choose a tour company. It looks like that many of them are just great. After all we booked with the Best Guides and were really happy with them.

Good luck! Jess :)

Thank you Raina, that is exactly what we are interested in hearing about! We have used private guides in other areas and it can be a challenge to keep them focused on OUR wishlist over their own usual route stops..so I appreciate your comments. I will be extra vigilant setting up this one!

If you are paying for a private tour, then in conjunction with the guide, it is what you want to do and see, not what they want you to see. However, I would have a good idea of want I wanted to see before I got to my destination as I would have already planned it out with the tour company.

I wouldn't blame the guides or the tour companies. They expect tourists to want to see the main highlites of their city. Same as if you went to London and wanted to see Buckingham Palace, or Paris and wanted to see the Eiffel Tower, or NY and the Empire State Building. These are the main sites and most people want to see them.

Obviously if you wish something else, you must make that known to them. They all will accommodate your wishes.

Cheers

Len

GiantFan13

You are right. However, the problem often is that those on the tour don't make their voices heard at the time, but complain when they get home. That's no use, you have to voice your wishes whilst actually doing the tour, not complain afterwards, that's too late.

Obviously if you wish something else, you must make that known to them. They all will accommodate your wishes.

Cheers

Len

Hi Len

Not totally. we did have many email discussions before hand. And of course many of the classic places were mentioned. Many times we did say that we wanted time to just wonder around, see the non tourist life. We discussed haveing flexability. But .. he had a plan in mind and we couldn't get him to move.

We had a few requests denied.

We wanted to go to a Vodka Bar, a place where locals might drink ie local Pub. "No one has ever asked for this before.... It cannot be done" etc.

Don't get me wrong. We didn't not enjoy ourselves. It was brilliant. Just if I did it again I would be very forward about the fact that it was our personalised tour, not just more people to fit in with the plan.

Raina

If I may ask, what tour company did you use?

Your requests sure don't seem out of the ordinary and should have been accommodated. Again, I am only speaking hypothetically, but did you make your choices known way in advance? If you wait until you are on the tour and they already have an itinerary planned out, it may be hard to change it at a whim. If you did make your choices known in advance, they should have accommodated you.

Cheers

Len

GiantFan13

You are right. However, the problem often is that those on the tour don't make their voices heard at the time, but complain when they get home. That's no use, you have to voice your wishes whilst actually doing the tour, not complain afterwards, that's too late.

Like I said in the last post, it MAY be hard for a tour to change at the whim of the participants, on such short notice. They must do so many tours and they must spend plenty of time mapping these things out and even planning alternatives if something may happen along the way. It MIGHT be hard to change midstream, if you know what I mean. As I said, these things need to be made public, way in advance.

When we toured with SPB tours, we did their Baltic Pearl package. it didn't include the Grand Choral Synagogue, which we very much wanted to see. I was in constant touch with Victoria, the owner, and when I mentioned if that could be added to the itinerary, she never flinched and added it right away. The other people on the tour had no idea it was added, but on going there, they all were thrilled by that.

Cheers

Len

Our small ship gave us 3 days in SPB in July. I booked 2 days w/ TJ Tours w/ other ship pax via Cruise Critic, and 3rd day also with TJ in private car & guide shared w/ another couple to spend 5 hrs @ Hermitage…(art lover). I was very pleased. http://st-petersburg-tours.ru/ They took us to a few other sites not in guide books. The other board posts are very good comments.

Ask your local library to get DVDs for you. “World’s Best Cemeteries” has a one on P& P Fortress/Cathedral. It’s where all the Romanovs are entombed. Read novels, esp. Rasputin’s Daughter. It talks about Yusopov Palace, which I would skip if limited.

Each cathedral/church had fantastic, unique features.

• · Peterhof – crowded & hot, but garden’s fountains are spectacular. Hydrofoil 1 way is super way to see it. I thought interior was so-so.
  • · Catherine's palace and Amber room – Yes, really something, but a ride out, too.
  • · Hermitage- a must if you love paintings & history. Ck out DVDs before you go.
  • · Peter and Paul fortress- see above.
  • · Church on Spilled Blood –beautiful mosaics & makes good photos
  • · Nevsky Prospekt – skipped…I’m not a shopper.
  • · St. Isaac's cathedral- beautiful stained glass.
  • · Canal boat tour- Do it, if you can.
  • · Subway ride- we skipped it…didn’t want to go underground
  • · Yusopov palace- Catherine’s is better…Rasputin wax museum looked hokey

Was privileged to be in St Petersburg with ALLA's Grand Tour earlier this month, and will share my thoughts:

Loved both the Peterhof fountains (didn't go inside) and Catherine's Palace. Church of the Spilled Blood was our favorite, but loved all the churches.

Could have done without: canal boat tour and Yusopov palace. I didn't know the Yusopov story before going there, and it was difficult to understand the history from the narration. Another thing: after seeing all the grand and really old architecture, it was very disappointing to see this stuff from 1900!

You may certainly get Palace fatigue. My first suggestion would be to limit your Peterhof visit to the Lower Gardens. They are spectacular and unique. If you are interested in Russian history Peter and Paul Fortress is a good bet, but from a sightseeing standpoint the Cathedral there is by far the most interesting. I'd say the best Church is the Church of the Spilled Blood. It's really spectacular both inside and out. Don't expect to see much art in the Hermitage. The size of the place means that unless you strictly focus on that you'll get just a superficial overview. That said a superficial overview of both the building and the art is still very impressive. If you truly want to see the art in the Hermitage I'd recommend a private tour and let the guide know ahead of time what your specific interests are.

You may certainly get Palace fatigue. My first suggestion would be to limit your Peterhof visit to the Lower Gardens. They are spectacular and unique. If you are interested in Russian history Peter and Paul Fortress is a good bet, but from a sightseeing standpoint the Cathedral there is by far the most interesting. I'd say the best Church is the Church of the Spilled Blood. It's really spectacular both inside and out. Don't expect to see much art in the Hermitage. The size of the place means that unless you strictly focus on that you'll get just a superficial overview. That said a superficial overview of both the building and the art is still very impressive. If you truly want to see the art in the Hermitage I'd recommend a private tour and let the guide know ahead of time what your specific interests are.[/QUOTov

Yes, I would skip the Palace at Peterhof (loved the gardens) and either or Catherines or Yusopvo. And definitely do the Church of Spilt Blood. ADn of course the Hermitage.

Thanks everyone for your input, it has been helpful in paring down the list! I knew there was too much to include everything on the common itineraries plus add other things we hope to see. I think we'll do Peterhoff and a nice longer visit to Hermitage for our 'palace fix', and then the Russian museum and a 'citizens view' walking tour that gives more opportunity for seeing places in the city that are closer to everyday life. I think we have found a guide that is interested in discussing our ideas so we are optimistic!

Hi! I plan to return back to St. Petersburg and seeking your opinions on the sights which could be good for the second visit. On my first visit I did the Hermitage, Peterhoff, Catherin’s Palace and the fortress. It also was a boat tour which was really great. I obviously want to return back to Peterhoff. I plan to see the Hermitage once again. What else can I do on my second visit? Yes, the Usupov Palace. What else? All suggestions and ideas are very welcome. Thank you :):):)

Jess:)

Thanks everyone for your input, it has been helpful in paring down the list! I knew there was too much to include everything on the common itineraries plus add other things we hope to see. I think we'll do Peterhoff and a nice longer visit to Hermitage for our 'palace fix', and then the Russian museum and a 'citizens view' walking tour that gives more opportunity for seeing places in the city that are closer to everyday life. I think we have found a guide that is interested in discussing our ideas so we are optimistic!

Wow, if someone on my cruise would have organized something along those lines, we would have jumped on it! I would add Spilled Blood - perhaps on the walking tour.

Wow, if someone on my cruise would have organized something along those lines, we would have jumped on it! I would add Spilled Blood - perhaps on the walking tour.

Hi Buggins- yes I asked for Spilled Blood to be included in the walking tour. Well, you are welcome to join us next September if you're ready to go again!..:p I hope there will be some others on the roll call that will find it appealing too. Now I'll have to start sorting out the other ports!

Thank you, Reggiefan and Illiria.

I’ve seen the Spilt blood on my first visit. It’s great! Magnificent! I will certainly go to St. Isaac’s. Not sure I want to see the Russian museum… To tell the truth I’m not a big lover of paintings.

For my second visit to St. Pete I plan:

- The Hermitage (second time)

- Peterhoff (second time)

- Usupov palace

- Faberge museum

I’ve checked the Best Guides website. I think I like the idea of the Citizens view walking tour (including metro – looks great!) and Matroshka doll Master class. I plan to return back with my daughter, she will be 5 at that moment and I think she will love it. Did anyone try it? Any feedback? Thank you!

Jess :)