$2 bills

train460

Maybe you were treated like kings because you double tipped. All bar bills have the tip included.. happy cruising

LOL! Buy a $10 drink, with the 15% tip automatically added to the bill, AND give them another 20% tip on top of that. That totals to a 35% tip! No wonder they treated him well! He certainly paid enough for it!! :D

I'll bet the bartenders got a kick out of the extra tips he was giving away, not about the $2 bills themselves. ;)

Too funny! For some reason this makes me think about that phrase wrongly attributed to P. T. Barnum. You know, the one about a certain type of person being born every minute. :D:p;)

Some people here are saying that if the shipboard currency is US$ tips should be in US$.

Now I'm going on an Australian cruise where on board currency is US$ so is t wrong if I tip in AUS$, by the way all ports of call are in Australia.

Just don't give them money in envelopes:eek:

They will also think the Aussie plastic money is funny money:rolleyes:

AUS$ or USD$ will be gratefully received by all.

I am sure the crew will need some spending money when they go ashore.

As USD$ are not accepted in Australia :)

But for the adamant on here, tip them in USD$ so it makes it really difficult for them to exchange it to AUS$ for when they need it ashore:D

I like to leave $2 bills as tips at restaraunts (when i can get them)

Would this be ok on the ship or would the crew members think this is "funny money"? Frown upon? etc

Most waiters and waitresses love to see them here but you would be suprised on how many times i have had to use them for say at a fast food place and the cashier, not being from the USA then refuse the bills because of being fake.

Michael

If you know not everyone may like them, why not to leave them at home, and bring other denominations? It's not that difficult for you.

$2 is $2 however it is made up, and if legal tender then all appreciated.

I have a friend who works on another cruise line, and they are more than happy to except any legal tender.

Making their life more difficult to change it:eek: give it a break seriously

There life is more difficult when people do not tip!!

I get the impression that if I were to offer anyone here on CC US$1,000,000.00 in pennies or $2 bills they would cringe and be offended as it will be an inconvenience to cash it or spend it:D

C'mon however you cut it $2 is $2 bucks.

To the OP $2 are legal tender, not funny money, they sell that at Disney.

Having worked in the Currency Business for over 20 years

And having seen numerous $2 bills, use them with no issues anywhere in the world where USD are excepted.

Now if you get any with Red, Blue or Silver Seals send me a message and I will gladly buy them from you double the rate:)

Happy Days!

yes it IS an 'Exception' to 'Accept' $2 bills. no one is disputing the fact that they are legal tender. the $500 bill is legal too and you don't see many of them wandering about. what they are saying is that they are not in normal circulation. as such they are inconvenient for eveyone.. I mean really.. you have to order them weeks in advance . anyone who goes through the trouble of doing that is looking for attention.

I don't get it either. $2 bills are not in common use in the USA and some may think they are not legal tender, a joke or whatever even in country and especially outside. A novelty for sure, but still, I don't see the point of the OP. Makes no sense to me. Same goes for the $1. coin. It's just not commonly used, although in both cases I think they should be, but they are not, and I don't think it a good idea to use them for "novelty" tips, or whatever.

Edited by jamessemaj

Belgium, UK, Austria surpassed:eek:

There are some good Boks and small breweries with some nice beers, but a long way to go to surpass the 3 listed and probably many more.

Get to the real Ales and true beers that are 7-10% then you are talking beer..

Hey even Mikes hard lemonade is classified as being a beer, in Europe it is called an alco pop:)

Try these real beers

Speckled Hen

Old thumper

Bishops Tipple

HSB

Just a few that will go down well for the real beer drinkers!

They will cost you more than $2 a pint though

Of course there are a lot of great beers made around the world. I make a point of trying the local beers in any country I visit. My point was that some used to buy and drink Canadian beer because we could not get anything but mass produced beer and lousey beer in the US. I did, bought Moulsens and LaBlatt. But I stopped long ago because it became possible to buy fresh, locally brewed beer in the US. If that had not happened I would probably still be buying Canadian, Mexican, and Pilsner Urquell. Those were the only alternatives in the stores 40 years ago to Bud, Miiler, etc. None I know now buys Canadian beer brands because of the much improved US brews available.

Edited by Charles4515

yes it IS an 'Exception' to 'Accept' $2 bills. no one is disputing the fact that they are legal tender. the $500 bill is legal too and you don't see many of them wandering about. what they are saying is that they are not in normal circulation. as such they are inconvenient for eveyone.. I mean really.. you have to order them weeks in advance . anyone who goes through the trouble of doing that is looking for attention.

Agreed on your last statement:) and that would be ostentatious

$1000 is also legal tender! And ACCEPTED, thanks for highlighting in BOLD Red my autocorrect spelling mistake

Would like a few of those too

Edited by PompeySailor

Of course there are a lot of great beers made around the world. I make a point of trying the local beers in any country I visit. My point was that some used to buy and drink Canadian beer because we could not get anything but mass produced beer and lousey beer in the US. I did, bought Moulsens and LaBlatt. But I stopped long ago because it became possible to buy fresh, locally brewed beer in the US. If that had not happened I would probably still be buying Canadian, Mexican, and Pilsner Urquell. Those were the only alternatives in the stores 40 years ago to Bud, Miiler, etc. None I know now buys Canadian beer brands because of the much improved US brews available.

We have some good Micro-Breweries near us, and agree what they deliver is much better than Bud or Miller.

I was not able to drink 40 years ago, was still drinking milk from a bottle:D

You must try and get hold of some Belgian Beer really nice.

There is a person who comes to my place of employment and always pays with the gold $1 coins. She always has so many of them! Strange, but It's acceptable.

If you have a real $2 bill use it how you see fit. If someone doesn't want it than move on.

I find it sad that some people will give tips in novelty currency for their own "what clever guy I am" reasons rather than for the benefit of the person they are giving the tip to. I was brought up believing that a tip was for the benefit of the recipient, and not for the giver's benefit. I guess this is just another example of the "it's all about me" mentality that is so pervasive in society these days. :rolleyes:

As for me, when I tip someone, it is for their benefit alone, so I do so in whatever manner is most convenient to them. I don't do it to feel better about myself, nor do I do it to be "remembered", as some people apparently have a great need to be.

↑↑↑ THIS ↑↑↑

The tip is (and always should be) about the person providing a service, and to pay in "unusual" currency because a customer thinks it's clever or quirky or "makes you stand out" misses the whole point. It is not a thoughtful act, but a dismissive gesture. It seems almost passive-aggressive to me. Cruise ship staff are already going above and beyond the call to make my trip a pleasant one--why would I make them jump through extra hoops to redeem a tip they earned through their tireless work? :confused:

$2 bills and SBA coins may indeed be legal tender, but putting people in a position where they must take extra steps to redeem their value seems unnecessary. It makes the tip all about the giver instead of the recipient, and that is so not the point.

Just my opinion.

As someone who has worked in retail, any nonstandard currency or coins are a pain. We have to check them to make sure they're legit and then we have to lift the money tray and put them underneath. We would never give them to a customer as change. For sure, those Anthony dollars, $2 bills, anything over a $20 bill...will be in the day's deposit envelope. Yes, people could use them as payment, but in doing so, slowed down processing their transaction (which in turned might be slowing down others being able to pay for their purchases).

I remember putting in a dollar coin in a US post office stamp machine and it got jammed. Which really ticked me off because that same machine gave out the coins as change. Had to stand in line (which defeated the purpose of using the machine) in order to get a refund. The clerk actually said I wasn't supposed to use those coins in that machine.

Often my MIL in blessed memory would give us $50 bills for gifts. That meant she had to go to the bank to get the currency. And when we got them, we would just smile and same thanks, but would be thinking jeez, now I have to go to the bank to trade for regular bills (as many stores won't accept a bill over $20). So in thinking she was doing something special, she caused inconvenience for herself and for someone she loved.

My point: please don't think it's cute to do something that could be a bother for someone else. Considering how little free time these crew members have (long days, long weeks, little time off), why do something that means they have to wait in line to trade $2 bills (that they can't use in port, when they have a port day).

Seriously, continuing to say you don't see the problem in doing this...that means you're the problem.

As someone who has worked in retail' date=' any nonstandard currency or coins are a pain. We have to check them to make sure they're legit and then we have to lift the money tray and put them underneath. We would never give them to a customer as change. For sure, those Anthony dollars, $2 bills, anything over a $20 bill...will be in the day's deposit envelope. Yes, people could use them as payment, but in doing so, slowed down processing their transaction (which in turned might be slowing down others being able to pay for their purchases).

I remember putting in a dollar coin in a US post office stamp machine and it got jammed. Which really ticked me off because that same machine gave out the coins as change. Had to stand in line (which defeated the purpose of using the machine) in order to get a refund. The clerk actually said I wasn't supposed to use those coins in that machine.

Often my MIL in blessed memory would give us $50 bills for gifts. That meant she had to go to the bank to get the currency. And when we got them, we would just smile and same thanks, but would be thinking jeez, now I have to go to the bank to trade for regular bills (as many stores won't accept a bill over $20). So in thinking she was doing something special, she caused inconvenience for herself and for someone she loved.

My point: please don't think it's cute to do something that could be a bother for someone else. Considering how little free time these crew members have (long days, long weeks, little time off), why do something that means they have to wait in line to trade $2 bills (that they can't use in port, when they have a port day).

Seriously, continuing to say you don't see the problem in doing this...that means you're the problem.[/quote']

Well, at least they didn't think it was wonderful to give out John Deere keychain fobs as tips.

Went on the Metro a few weeks ago. Got Susan B Anthony, Sacagawea, James Madison and James Polk dollar coins.

At least the sides of the gold Presidents' coins are different from the quarter.

Need to remember to bring exact change. Those coins are hard to spend anywhere but Union Station.

Some people here are saying that if the shipboard currency is US$ tips should be in US$.

Now I'm going on an Australian cruise where on board currency is US$ so is t wrong if I tip in AUS$, by the way all ports of call are in Australia.

Just smile and Tip away.:):)

I like to leave $2 bills as tips at restaraunts (when i can get them)

Would this be ok on the ship or would the crew members think this is "funny money"? Frown upon? etc

Most waiters and waitresses love to see them here but you would be suprised on how many times i have had to use them for say at a fast food place and the cashier, not being from the USA then refuse the bills because of being fake.

Michael

Their opinion of them are like most Americans. They're worthless (obviously, worth $2). Why would one tip with two dollar bills anyway? The cute factor of those wore off thirty years ago.

I guess if you need $2's to tip, there better be a lot of them.