March 2014 Adventure - Propellor issue and future cruise credit help

Hi, long type reader, first post. We've said twice out of San Juan prior to this cruise and a Med cruise on RC, so pretty familiar with the line, had great cruises in the past. I'm looking to see if anyone is in this situation like me. I currently have a cruise booked, on the Jewel out of San Juan, trying to decide if I want to keep it. Trying to take emotion out of this issue as best I can and present the facts.

As most know, back in March the Adventure had an mechanical issue and the propellor needed removing. For a few days we had several letters from the captain offering levels of compensation for our delay. Monday sailing did not happen, nor Tuesday as hoped. On the morning of Tuesday March 25th, this is the letter received in the cabin, promising a 50% refund on the cruise. This also addresses passengers who are choosing to leave the ship that day. We were hopeful to be sailing at midnight and stayed aboard.

eqnj1z.jpg

Wednesday morning we received this letter from the captain, which is the most important one.

2psnh9i.jpg

There was no time given for estimated departure. It was then we decided to make arrangements to go home and not continue the cruise. No one was sure if we'd be leaving port Weds or not, which it eventually did. According to this final letter, all passengers would be receiving a full refund, which we did get, but also a 50% future cruise credit. Nothing in this letter states you must stay on board to receive the credit. This letter was a determining factor on whether or not we stayed. We're in FL, so flying back from San Juan was not hard for us to schedule. And not knowing if we were sailing at all, we decided to head home enjoy a full cruise another time.

When I was booking my next cruise I inquired about applying the 50% credit and it was stated that because we left the cruise on Wednesday before sailing, we were not entitled to it. Resolutions has seen the letters. When questioned why the captain would promise something they would not stand by, they stated that "there was a miscommunication on part of the ship and corporate would not be giving the 50% off the next cruise". Guest services on board had agreed we would get the 50% as well, so there was no reason to think otherwise when we made arrangements to leave.

I had a decent deal on this cruise, it would not cost them much money at all to stand by the letter that was presented by the captain, for all inconvenienced passengers. Had we known we'd get the credit only if we stayed, we may have made a different decision. I feel like booking is rewarding the stance they are taking and I'm on the fence if I want to give RC any more money. Even two drink packages would go a long way in my eyes for customer service and a gesture of good will.

Is anyone else in this situation or had a situation like this? if the second letter is too unclear, I can try and post again.

Edited by KLCruiseFan

While you were having your problems on your March sailing, we were having our own, with the Navigator out of Galveston. We had a similar situation where we were told a number of times, that if we stay or leave, we would still be getting the refund and % towards a future sailing. We stayed and eventually sailed for a shorter cruise. But we did in fact get what they promised. To get the % towards the future cruise we had to get a certificate in the mail that stated the amount. That is what we actually presented to our TA to get the $ back. Did you ever get that? If not, did anyone on your sailing get it? Our group staying in touch via the M&M thread. That thread helped keep us up to date on what everyone was experiencing.

Best of luck.

Erika

While you were having your problems on your March sailing, we were having our own, with the Navigator out of Galveston. We had a similar situation where we were told a number of times, that if we stay or leave, we would still be getting the refund and % towards a future sailing. We stayed and eventually sailed for a shorter cruise. But we did in fact get what they promised. To get the % towards the future cruise we had to get a certificate in the mail that stated the amount. That is what we actually presented to our TA to get the $ back. Did you ever get that? If not, did anyone on your sailing get it? Our group staying in touch via the M&M thread. That thread helped keep us up to date on what everyone was experiencing.

Best of luck.

Erika

I'm sorry to hear that, what a week for Royal. We didn't get the certificate in the mail. I did call about it, they said to just reference the old booking id to apply it. Which is what we did when we found out we were denied.

I feel like my post should be 'NEVER SAILING AGAIN, ROYAL LIED TO ME!' to get more help.. :( Frankly I don't know if I am, I'm still on the fence because of this issue.

I'm sorry to hear that, what a week for Royal. We didn't get the certificate in the mail. I did call about it, they said to just reference the old booking id to apply it. Which is what we did when we found out we were denied.

I feel like my post should be 'NEVER SAILING AGAIN, ROYAL LIED TO ME!' to get more help.. :( Frankly I don't know if I am, I'm still on the fence because of this issue.

Personally I wouldn't give up so easily. The way I look at it is you were promised something and they should follow through. I would call and ask for a resolutions customer service person. And if that doesn't work, ask for their manager. I would also check your M&M thread from your sailing and see what other people have been getting.

Erika

I was on your same cruise, except that we did stay on for the rest of the cruise - eventually sailing on Wednesday and making it to 3 ports. Several weeks after the cruise we did get the cruise certificates sent to us in the mail and are using them on a cruise in March 2015. Have you tried taking it to a higher level? You certainly were promised the credit - it didn't say you had to stay for the rest of the cruise to get it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I was on your same cruise, except that we did stay on for the rest of the cruise - eventually sailing on Wednesday and making it to 3 ports. Several weeks after the cruise we did get the cruise certificates sent to us in the mail and are using them on a cruise in March 2015. Have you tried taking it to a higher level? You certainly were promised the credit - it didn't say you had to stay for the rest of the cruise to get it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We've spoken to resolutions more than once. Yes, they also agreed that we were promised the credit, but by the ship. But that it was a 'miscommunication' and they weren't going to honor it. They basically said you can write a letter to Adam, it won't help. Which is why I'm here, hoping to get their attention. It's not right, I really shouldn't keep my next cruise. They didn't even offer anything as goodwill. It cost us money to change our flights, which was our choice of course. A choice we may not have made though, if we knew we had to stay on board to get the credit. It's like holding people hostage for a reward. I get it economically, they were hoping to make the money back on on-board spending.

We've spoken to resolutions more than once. Yes, they also agreed that we were promised the credit, but by the ship. But that it was a 'miscommunication' and they weren't going to honor it. They basically said you can write a letter to Adam, it won't help. Which is why I'm here, hoping to get their attention. It's not right, I really shouldn't keep my next cruise. They didn't even offer anything as goodwill. It cost us money to change our flights, which was our choice of course. A choice we may not have made though, if we knew we had to stay on board to get the credit. It's like holding people hostage for a reward. I get it economically, they were hoping to make the money back on on-board spending.

That makes even less sense. Our trip was delayed/cancelled due to an oil spill that had NOTHING to do with RCI. Not that fault, yet they went above and beyond, as far as I was concerned. They even reached back out to people that left when it was decided they were going to give us a shortened, free cruise to Cozumel. Your trip was 100% RCI's issue as it was the azmipods that were the problem. I agree, reach out to the CEO and present the facts. I promise you they read ALL those emails.

Erika

. Yes, they also agreed that we were promised the credit, but by the ship.

As an inside sales person for a fortune 100 company, I am responsible for my promises. If I quote a wrong price by mistake and a customer wins a government contract we honor the quote.

I'm a RC cheerleader and looking forward to my next cruise, but I'm with you on this one based on all you have told us and we heard back then.

They definitely owe you the FCC, and I'm somewhat surprised they're giving you the run-around when you clearly have the documentation to prove you're due the certificate.

You might have better luck contacting Corporate Guest Relations. They respond quickly and the couple times I have had a reason to write them I have always received a phone call within about 48 hours. You could also contact Crown and Anchor for help.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

Executive Guest Relations

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

agoldstein@rccl.com

Crown & Anchor Society

P.O. Box 026053

Miami, FL 33102-6053

crownandanchor@rccl.com

I have to agree with everyone here. You were promised, in writing, a credit for a future cruise from the highest RCI authority available on that ship! If they won't stand by the captain's word, then who's would they????

RCI, listen up!!!

Thank you, will definitely try the corporate email. I started with C&A, spoke with resolutions twice. Royal, I know you read these boards, make it right! There may be JS 1100 on the Jewel next Thanksgiving coming open..

Edited by KLCruiseFan

I have to agree with everyone here. You were promised, in writing, a credit for a future cruise from the highest RCI authority available on that ship! If they won't stand by the captain's word, then who's would they????

RCI, listen up!!!

I could not agree more. There's no conditions listed the offer she got. She made decisions based on what RCI represented would happen. They need to stand by what the letter says and make this right.

I would suggest, since you are a Florida resident contact the Florida Office of the Attorney General, either by phone or on-line (Consumer Protection). They should be able to advise you of the best course of action.

• 2 weeks later...