Wave Thudding Noises in Cabins/Suites?!

I am seriously considering booking a long cruise on the Radisson twin-hull Diamond. Friends warned me to be careful in choosing cabins as many of them suffer from strong thudding noises caused by underneath waves.

I will value previous passengers' experience on this please?

Glendore,

This is a new one on me! We were on Deck 7 with a balcony (the lowest level with passenger cabins) and we never heard any thuds or unusual noises. In fact, this was the very smoothest ship I've ever cruised on. Book it with confidence!

Marcie

2004166967450561983036.jpg

Hi Glendore--

I echo Marcie's post. Rest assured, there is no wave thudding. This is so for two reasons:

1) the physics of the SWATH design would actually minimize any wave thudding and

2) the Diamond doesn't go fast enough (only 12.5 knots top speed) for this to be a problem.

Also, the ship's design makes it extremely stable in almost all seas, more so than other ships including those that are much larger.

Bill

I agree. We have been on deck seven of the Diamond twice and deck nine once, and hav heard no wave noises. The passenger cabins are well above sea level.

When I sailed on Diamond, I did feel a pounding against the SWATH. Since the ship doesn't roll, the power of the water has to go somewhere. It is more attunded to a bit of vibration side to side vs the vibration by the screws on many ships.

That said, it is not a bother at all.

marc

12/19/02 Mariner

05/24/03 Diamond

10/01/03 Voyager

12/27/03 Voyager

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=6>

<param name="day" value=2>

<param name="hour" value=12>

</applet>

Seven Seas Navigator Bermuda

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="month" value=10>

<param name="day" value=4>

<param name="hour" value=7>

</applet>

Diamond Oct 4th (DOF)

<param name="month" value=11>

<param name="day" value=21>

<param name="hour" value=07>

</applet>

Seven Seas Voyager Transatlantic

Very many thanks to you all.

I really appreciated your prompt comments and reassurances. It certainly looks like a 'top ten' excellent ship to me in all other respects.

Glendore

I don't recall any thundering waves, but I do know that some people changed cabins due to unidentified noises that kept them up at night. I would recommend as close to midship as possible. Even if you are close to the atrium, noise should not be a problem.

JoAnne

Archived