Repositioning cruises-Airfare

Murphey

How do you do the air. It seems to me that the repo cruises are always a bargain, but you have to fly in/out of different cities. In your experience, have you found it better to do your own air or book through Princess? I know many of you will talk about using your miles, but it seems to me most milage programs don;t let you do this...

Open-jaw airfare is often, but not always, cheaper through the cruise line.

It really depends on so many variables, I don't think there is a pat answer.

Some of the short Left Coast repos, for example, we can drive one way to the ship, and then take Amtrak back. Makes for a nice short getaway.

I really think more info is needed to make a plausible answer.

I generally do the cruise line air on repositionings simply because I can't come close to their price on my own. My air from OHare to London and home from New York in Sept. was just 600 with Princess, I couldn't get it under 900 and not good flights. I might have been able to if I used cut rate carriers or flew home to Midway instead of O'Hare but I won't do it.

Princess is flying me Friday night and I arrive first thing Sat. a.m., direct flight, works out great. I got aisle seating, with just 2 seats. I was worried I'd have to sit in the center row with 5 seats for 8 hrs. or all the way in the back. They did really good.

Susie

I booked my one-way air from Newark to San Juan through American Airlines for April 2006. We live less than an hour from Newark.

I got a good deal: $168.00 . I used some of my miles to upgrade to Business Class. Normal price for one way Business was almost $900.

I'm sailing on the Golden Princess repo cruise from San Juan to NYC...Karen

It really depends on the destination. I've always reserved air with Princess then continue to look for my own up until final payment is due. So far I've been able to get better deals and I can reserve far enough in advance that I can actually get decent seats. My biggest problem with Princess air is that they don't let you know what flight you will have until it's sometimes too late to get seats together.

In April we did a repo on Celebrity Summit Ft.Lauderdale to San Diego via Panama Canal.

I was lucky to find a one-way San Diego to Ft. Lauderdale for $112 on Delta within the next day we saw the cruise deal. The fare was open on Delta and United for may be 48 hours and then gone.

Several Mileage programs allow you to do open jaws. AA allows you one open jaw and one stopover. Domestic rules are different from International rules. (such as flights to Europe) - but generally it can be done especially if you book far in advance. For domestic flights, your stopover does not need to be on most direct route, it can be anywhere in lower 48. For Hawaii flights your stopover can include San Juan, if you are not originating from CA.

Murphey, Alaska Airlines mileage plan allows open jaw flights. They also have good pricing on one ways, too.

We like to link repositioning cruises together. As an example this spring we flew to Miami (from Seattle where we live) took a Panama canal cruise AND a Pacific coastal to Vancouver. Rented a car and drove home from there.

You just need to get creative. I find an interesting cruise and then start looking at airfare. If it works..I book!

Don't be afraid to call your ff miles airline and ask questions.

Archived