just returned from Infinity- British Isle cruise. First time Celebrity

Jeff&Mel

We will be on Silhouette, 14 nights for our B.I. cruise next August - so different ship but I would love to hear about ports, tours, etc. Can't wait to hear all about it. :D

Continued....

Dublin: Paddy wagon tours. There were 8 of us. We went to Wicklow- and then to Dublin. Amazing!

Belfast: We hired a private guide. Paddy Cambells black taxi. I was able to plan the day that I wanted. 8 hours- great price. Heard all about the history of Belfast and spent a lot of time climbing the rocks of the Giant's Causeway- Breathtaking!

Glasgow- DiscoverScotlandtours. WOW! What a great tour. Fantastic driver- very knowledgable- very entertaining! Again I think there were 8 or 10 people.

Kirkwall- Orkney Island tours. 9 people- beautiful!

On our own:

Saint Peters Port and Liverpool.

We were on the same cruise. I saw someone asked about brunch. No, there was no brunch. I've seen other posts about no brunch so the whole line may have dropped it. (sob)

Chef's table still seemed to be there.

The ship was fine, the food was very good and the staff was as great as ever. If you do this itinerary check out the little museum right next to the dock at Cobh/Cork. Great presentation of information on the Irish emigrations, the Titanic and the Lusitania.

Jay

It wasn't called brunch specifically but it was called late breakfast and it went until 1200.

Everything.

The guide was rude- he was French and made Anti-American and Anti-British remarks through the day.

The description of the excursion and the excursion itself were two different things.

I would cruise with Celebrity again but I would not take another Celebrity excursion.

I'm glad I wasn't on that tour, I'd have punched him in the nose.

After what we did for the French in WW2, that is amazing, just amazing.:mad:

They'd be speaking German today if not for the Americans and Brits.

You should of told him to watch the movie "Saving Private Ryan", especially the opening scene on the beach in Normandy. What a jerk.

Edited by emcee207

Sue & I booked all our Excursions through Celebrity. We usually get an excursion that is 'Mild', usually a bus type tour that covers the most territory and spends the most time (so we can pick what we want to see on a return trip)..

In Le Harve we did the Alabaster Coast - Entretat & Feecamp

In Cork(Cobh) we did the Cork City Panoramic & Irish Coffee

In Dublin we did the Panoramic DUblin, Irish Countryside & Glendalough

In Liverpool we did the Liverpool Panoramic City Highlights

In Belfast we did the Ards Peninsular Scenic Drive

In Glasgow we did the Panoramic Scotish Lochs

In Oslo we did Hadeland Glass Works & Viking Ships

All our excursion were very nice and we would recommend them and do them again.

25 Years in the Navy and I know how to handle Rude.

One bad excursion should not sour the rest.

Dennis & Sue

myticker.jpg

Sue & I booked all our Excursions through Celebrity. We usually get an excursion that is 'Mild', usually a bus type tour that covers the most territory and spends the most time (so we can pick what we want to see on a return trip)..

In Le Harve we did the Alabaster Coast - Entretat & Feecamp

In Cork(Cobh) we did the Cork City Panoramic & Irish Coffee

In Dublin we did the Panoramic DUblin, Irish Countryside & Glendalough

In Liverpool we did the Liverpool Panoramic City Highlights

In Belfast we did the Ards Peninsular Scenic Drive

In Glasgow we did the Panoramic Scotish Lochs

In Oslo we did Hadeland Glass Works & Viking Ships

All our excursion were very nice and we would recommend them and do them again.

25 Years in the Navy and I know how to handle Rude.

One bad excursion should not sour the rest.

Dennis & Sue

myticker.jpg

Of course- this is why I was hesitant to share my experience on our excursion. You weren't there- I assure you- as a fellow veteran you would have been quite offended by what was said and equally offended by how Celebrity handled it.

Hi-

My question is about Harwich & the terminals.

We will be boarding Infinity there in October, arriving in the morning via the overnight ferry from Rotterdam (no car). On port diagrams it looks like the ferry terminal is directly next to the cruise ship terminal. We two will have 2, 25" rolling bags plus backpacks, having been in Europe for the previous 2 weeks. Are there porters to help with baggage? We are also not 30 any more!! (twice that) and will probably be tired after tramping around WW I trenches. :eek: So will appreciate any help available.

Is it possible to roll/cart our bags from one place to another? Is there a place in the cruise terminal to get breakfast? They serve breakfast on the ferry, but the timing seems a little 'gobble & run-ish' (just like the cruise ships, they want to hustle you off, to re-board the new cars & people), and we'd rather not do that, and eat once we arrive in Harwich. Before boarding the Infinity. How about places just to sit while we wait to board? TIA.

Glad you had a good cruise - we've seen some of the same British & Scottish ports from the land side. The M class ships are about as big as we'd like to go.

Hi-

My question is about Harwich & the terminals.

We will be boarding Infinity there in October, arriving in the morning via the overnight ferry from Rotterdam (no car). On port diagrams it looks like the ferry terminal is directly next to the cruise ship terminal. We two will have 2, 25" rolling bags plus backpacks, having been in Europe for the previous 2 weeks. Are there porters to help with baggage? We are also not 30 any more!! (twice that) and will probably be tired after tramping around WW I trenches. :eek: So will appreciate any help available.

Is it possible to roll/cart our bags from one place to another? Is there a place in the cruise terminal to get breakfast? They serve breakfast on the ferry, but the timing seems a little 'gobble & run-ish' (just like the cruise ships, they want to hustle you off, to re-board the new cars & people), and we'd rather not do that, and eat once we arrive in Harwich. Before boarding the Infinity. How about places just to sit while we wait to board? TIA.

Glad you had a good cruise - we've seen some of the same British & Scottish ports from the land side. The M class ships are about as big as we'd like to go.

The ferry and cruise terminal are not in the same area. I think the Ferry terminal is a street over. I imagine it could be easily walked though- if your not up for the walk you could probably get a taxi. Also- I did not see any food in the terminal to board the ship.

We have just returned from Harwich 19Aug 2014 and it is a bit of a Heath - Robinson affair there.

Not half as slick as the other cruise ports we have embarked/disembarked from.

Convenient for those travelling by train though as the platform is adjacent to the check-in area.

Ariving by car and using car park facilities seemed to be ok with shuttle busses or porters readily available. Perhaps there is such a service from the Fery port. Maybe if you call or google it you might get some decent info.

I do believe their is a canteen of sorts but it wont be gourmet thats for sure just inside the entrance. Probably tea,coffee and a curly ham sandwich.

Forewarned is fore-armed and it wont detract from your cruise experience I'm sure.

We will be back to take the Infinity on the 13 Oct and we are not expecting some magical transformation to have taken place in the mean time😉

Funny, I was on Infinity at Harwich earlier this month, and there was indeed a ferry berthed next to us (west of Infinity, which was very close to the train station). Not sure which ferry it was, however.

If it is indeed the Hook of Holland (Rotterdam) ferry, you'll have no trouble walking from one to the other.

You can see the ferry terminal right beside the Harwich International Port (i.e. passenger terminal) on Google Maps.

Enjoy!

Marc

We were on the same Infinity cruise with Sue and Dan in May.

We arrived by train and did see the ferry terminal. There are pavers, not fully concreted, in the cruise terminal plaza (of sorts).

Can't recall a café at the cruise terminal, perhaps there is one at the ferry terminal.

We generally do not take any cruise line excursions but for many there were not a great deal of options for the itinerary we sailed. The best reference I can propose is to use the Ports of Call forum here on Cruise Critic, Trip Advisor and Tours by Locals. Our guides did a fine job, some better than others, as usual. One of the Cork tour companies is Paddy Wagons and they use smaller vehicles for no more than 26 as opposed to the regular tour busses for 46-50. They also included the Blarney Castle fee.

Craig of Mini-Tours Scotland was truly wonderful and I found this heavily booked and well versed guide on Tours by Locals. At the time I booked there were few reviews for him but this is no longer the case. He watched our ship dock from his home in Greenock and headed down the hill to our delight.

For those porting in Le Havre next year watch for several new tour operators in addition to the popular Overlord offerings.

We find these examples of private/semi-private excursions generally exceed our expectations without the angst of touring on big busses with so many people.

Thanks so much to the posters for the helpful info/replies on the distances & food options at the various terminals in Harwich.

Yes, It is the ferry from Hook, Holland we will be taking. Sounds like we better do the "Gobble & Go" breakfast on the ferry. (Gobble & Go is the name of a team Pem Corgi race!)

I'm sure we would normally have no trouble walking from one to another, but with the luggage it might be a different matter. It seems silly for such a short distance, but now we feel assured we could engage a taxi, if need be, thanks to your replies. Cheaper than muscles or tendons out of wack for a month.

BobnJac, we are planning on being on the Oct 13th sailing too! Aqua Class.

Cheers!

You should of told him to watch the movie "Saving Private Ryan", especially the opening scene on the beach in Normandy. What a jerk.[/quote/}

Remember, if it weren't for the French, we would be British.

Thanks so much to the posters for the helpful info/replies on the distances & food options at the various terminals in Harwich.

Yes, It is the ferry from Hook, Holland we will be taking. Sounds like we better do the "Gobble & Go" breakfast on the ferry. (Gobble & Go is the name of a team Pem Corgi race!)

I'm sure we would normally have no trouble walking from one to another, but with the luggage it might be a different matter. It seems silly for such a short distance, but now we feel assured we could engage a taxi, if need be, thanks to your replies. Cheaper than muscles or tendons out of wack for a month.

BobnJac, we are planning on being on the Oct 13th sailing too! Aqua Class.

Cheers!

Found this on a website.

Harwich Cruise & Ferry Terminal Facilities

Facilities within the cruise terminal are fairly basic, but purpose built and spacious. There is a cafe, very reasonably priced and a local tourist stand within the cruise terminal, but little else.

Next door in the ferry terminal, (accessed by going along the rail platform), is another restaurant an exchange bureaux, more toilets and telephones.

This is also where you will find the ticket office for the railway.

Immediately outside the front entrance to the cruise terminal is a spacious coach park and a taxi rank, very accessible. If you have a coach or private vehicle waiting you have a very, very short walk.

I see from ypur signature that you have travelled to Esberg on the ferry crossing. That was one of the most exciting trips my wife have ever made. A North sea crossing in a gale. Some years ago for a birthday treat jacquie booked a few days break in Esberg. We took the ferry from Harwich in March, just as we left port a snow storm began. We had our dinner and went to the cinema. We watched a film and were oblivious to what was occurring. We left the cinema and sat looking out of the window at the 40 ft plus high waves pounding the ship.

The ship was all but deserted and the crew were proffering sea sick tablets to those sturdy enough to endure the experience.

Its a trip we will never forget.

Just an aside and not wishing to detract from the thread.

Edited by BobnJac
Added info

You should of told him to watch the movie "Saving Private Ryan", especially the opening scene on the beach in Normandy. What a jerk.

Some of that guide's elders/bosses need to enlighten him. We did that tour with RCCL and it was excellent; very moving experience. So sorry that the OPs excursion was ruined by a guide who needs to find another line of work.

Question for OP: Is the Paddy Wagon tour a ship's excursion or private one?

Edited by HokiePoq

Everything.

The guide was rude- he was French and made Anti-American and Anti-British remarks through the day.

That's so inappropriate, no matter what this man personally felt.

I spent 3 days in the Normandy area, visiting most of the places that everyone sees, and was treated very nicely. But the most touching day was when we visited a tiny village in the area where alot of the D-Day fighting happened. When the mayor of this village heard that we were coming, he arranged a personal tour of the church where a couple of American medics cared for not only the Allied forces, but also the Germans who were injured. The villagers told us that they will be forever grateful to the citizens of America, Canada and Great Britain and that most of the people who live in Normandy agree. We all took a big group picture with the villagers and they told us that they would be speaking German instead of French if we hadn't helped them. So, I don't think this rude man is representative of those living in Normandy.

Edited by Go-Bucks!

Thanks so much for the additional info on Harwich!

The North Sea crossing to Denmark one Sept was 'lively' but not without it's own bit of drama ;)

Far worse was a crossing in Ontario Canada where all of Lake Huron was trying to get into Georgian Bay - I was one of the few that held onto my delicious cold salmon sandwich. Don't let the word 'lake' ever fool anyone - there are reasons ships & boats still go down in the Great Lakes.

We'll have to connect over dinner or something on the trans-Atlantic. Are you registered on the roll call here?

----------------------------------------

OT: The French might have been speaking German even earlier, if it weren't for the Americans, Aussies & Canadians of 1916-18.

As for feelings following war, one of the main reasons we are making this trip to France is because of my father-in-laws experience in WW One. His leg was blown off in the trench warfare of July 1918 and left for dead by his First Division American comrades (as were many).

A group of Germans were going through the area, picking up their dead & wounded. Dumped into a horse cart of dead Germans, he let out a groan. They took him to a German Field Hospital. A German doctor saved his life by cleaning up the wound, closing up a stump. He was traded back to the US in a prisoner exchange. Those Germans' saw a person in need, who had endured terrific pain, even as they were loosing the war. A tiny bit of the better side of humanity in the midst of horror.

I've been reading The Sleepwalkers, by Christopher Clark - quite a detailed history of the start of WW I, with echoes still into today's relations. Sometimes I don't know which century I am reading about.

------------------------------

All a good reason to travel - to see others POV (even one's we don't like) and the splendor of other cultures and their achievements through a different lens. We feel that traveling by ship today instantly gives one some perspective on an area, because it is only recently that people have relied more on airplanes. Boats & ships show you history, as you approach a port.