Voyager Baltic Cruise August 6th

We're the week after you. Are you doing any post cruise in Copenhagen?? If so, would love to hear about your Stockhom, Visby and Tallinn experience. We're planning on doing all three "on our own." If you're not planning on a Post Cruise in Copenhagen, I would recommend you consider it. I know that's presumptuous of me but it is really a great city (only one in this group I've been to). We're actually doing one day pre and one day post in Copenhagen.
Greg

USNA72

Jim,
There are two SAS hotels in Copenhagen that fit the bill. They are now Radisson SAS, I believe. The 'Royal' is right across the street from Tivoli and very well located. The 'Scandanavia' is maybe a mile or two down the main drag. I've stayed at both, and they're both very nice. But the one near Tivoli puts you in a great location withing walking distance of most everything -- like Stroget, and the waterfront.

Betty

[This message was edited by GrayWolf on 05-31-04 at 06:12 AM.]

Tallinn(Old Town)is very compact,and walkable,BUT wear very,very comfortable,thick soled shoes as the cobblestones are murder on the feet!
In Stockholm,the changing of the guard is worth seeing,but is invariably 20-25 minutes late in starting.
In Copenhagen,if the weather is nice,a boat trip along the canals is very pleasant.
In Helsinki,the church built into the rock face,although modern,is very impressive.
As for St.Petersburg,it is a "knockout".Pushkin Palace,for the interiors,and the Peterhof for the gardens/gold fountains.

We are definitely staying in Copenhagen post cruise as our cruise is just 7 days. Everything I read about Tallinn sounds great I even had the tourist boards send me maps of all the cities we are visiting just so I know the layouts before disembarking.

We have individual visas and plan to do some touring on our own. We have traveled extensively before and prefer not to do "group tours" but that if we wanted to go to Russia it would be more convenient to cruise.

Were planning on walking most of St. Petersberg but may take the excursions to Catherine's Palace and Peterhof.

Anyone know of any great restaurants in St. Petersberg? We are planning to eat dinner off the ship at least one night (even though I know the ships food is phenomenal!)

According to the Russian Embassy's web site an application for an individual visa must be accompanied by a document,in Russian,from the tour agency,or hotel,in Russia confirming your tour/residence details.
I have also been advised,by Seabourn,that one cannot get off a ship to walk around.It was for these reasons that we decided against obtaining individual visas.
Are you sure that you can travel around if you are not in an accompanied tour?

We were in St.P on Voyager for three days in 2003. We had visas. And on one day, we DID get off the ship and walk around. It was a marvelous day. But here's the kick. In order to get a visa you have to have a local sponsor. If you're visiting by air or train, the hotel you use will sponsor you (at a price). In the case of Voyager, your sponsor will be the agency that runs Voyager's tours--Baltic Travel. They expect you to spend a dime or two with them. So you might want to book Peterhof and Catherine's Palace on day one with Voyager (Baltic Travel, your sponsor), and enjoy the second day on your own.

Patrick

We were on the Voyager last year and spent three great days in St. Petersburg. Although we had a private tour, we had no problems getting visas. Our TA requested the visas thru Radisson, who got them thru Zierer Visa Service. We requested the visas before we hired the tour guide.

No idea who our "sponsor" was, but there were no questions asked.

We spoke to Radisson and sent away for visas through Zierer Visa Service. They will get the letter of authorization from our "sponsor" which is in effect Radisson Cruise lines. We will probably take the Peterhof and Catherines Palace excursions through Radisson since they are about an hour out of the city and getting there may be difficult. It seems to cost less since the car hire is for two persons and the van hire is for up to twelve at a rate of $700 a day and we have not been in contact with many taking this cruise so far.
I have read on other web sites that there is no problem just getting off the ship and walking into the city.

I do have a question though. What about signing up for excursions. Has there been a time when the excursions are full and you can't go to some sights. For example, I looked at the July 16th sailing and Peterhof was offered on Sunday AM or Tuesday PM. If everyone wanted to go there would be two groups of approximately 350 people. Do they disembark at half hour intervals or only let a certain amount of people go? Thanks in advance.

Kim

Unless the requirement is different for non UK citizens the accompanying letter for a personal visa has to from a Russian sponsor.
We have received some preliminary information from Seabourn which states:"......need to acquire a Russian visa support letter from the Russian organisation sponsoring your independent visit.Seabourn Cruises or DJB visas cannot supply this letter.Seabourn's Russian tour company cannot supply a visa support letter for guests not taking their tours."
This confirms the advice contained in the Russian Embassy's web site.
I hope all goes well with your application.

Archived