Is there a P&O shuttle bus to Bruges centre?

Scriv

Please can someone help clarify conflicting info re transport from Zeebrugge port into Bruges centre.

I know there is a P&O shuttle to Blankenberge, where you can get a train into Bruges, but have just read about another shuttle service in details specific to the cruise I am going on in November on another cruise website. I quote :

'17th November - Zeebrugge

Shuttle service from Zeebrugge port to Bruges and return

This service is a shuttle service only into the centre of Bruges. The service departs from the port of Zeebrugge at 9am every morning and takes you directly to the port of Bruges, there will be a set time for you to meet in Bruges ready to bring you back to the port of Zeebrugge.'

Does anyone know anything about this?

Many thanks

Scriv

Please can someone help clarify conflicting info re transport from Zeebrugge port into Bruges centre.

I know there is a P&O shuttle to Blankenberge, where you can get a train into Bruges, but have just read about another shuttle service in details specific to the cruise I am going on in November on another cruise website. I quote :

'17th November - Zeebrugge

Shuttle service from Zeebrugge port to Bruges and return

This service is a shuttle service only into the centre of Bruges. The service departs from the port of Zeebrugge at 9am every morning and takes you directly to the port of Bruges, there will be a set time for you to meet in Bruges ready to bring you back to the port of Zeebrugge.'

Does anyone know anything about this?

Many thanks

Scriv

This is what is said on P&O's port info: Bruges is approx 20 min drive away. Shuttle bus will only operate to seaside town of Blankeberge. From here there is a local train service to Bruges. The train station is approx 20 minute walk from central Bruges.

We went with P&O to Zeebrugge last summer and, because the journey to Bruges was a bit convoluted (because I have mobility problems), I took a taxi in, organised by someone who set up a roll call for our trip. This worked out cheaper, and quicker, and was such a success that, while we were waiting for our return ride, a couple we didn't know asked if they could share one of the taxis, so making the price even lower.

Having said that, if you are mobile, and fit and healthy then I don't see a problem with you getting the shuttle and train in, as stated.

For anyone wanting to know about a particular port shuttle info, here is the relevant page on P&O's website:

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/on-shore/Port_Shuttle_Info

I do not have personal knowledge of this, so ignore my comment if others give a more reliable response, but I do know that the standard port shuttle bus stops at the train station in Blankenberge.

I am just thinking that P&O often offer a 'trip' to various places that are not very near the port, but are tourist venues - details of these will be listed with the other trips and are bookable in the same way. They tend to be titled as '* on your own', where * represents the tourist venue. They are cheaper than a full trip to those places, but are basically a shuttle bus to the venue, with perhaps a map and a bit of detail about the place mentioned when on the coach there. That is normal when a venue is a distance from the port (e.g. Rome or Florence). As these places are a distance from the port they can be fairly pricy, but you would be confident of getting back to the ship on time as long as you do not miss the return bus of course, and will be able to get the bus directly from the port when going out. I seem to remember a 'Bruges on your own' offered by a cruise ship previously, which was along these lines.

Reading your post again, the shuttle to Bruges may be something offered by a private operator along similar lines to what I have mentioned, but you would presumably need to find out who operates it and if it needs to be booked in advance. Can you ask this question on the other website?

P&O have always generally offered a 'Bruges on your own' trip, which is basically transport to the huge coach park, you get shown the route to the town, and you are given a time to meet for the walk back to the coach.

We've done this quite a few times, used a taxi a couple of times, but last time simply caught the train ourselves.

Lou

When I cruised into Zeebrugge, the coach to Bruges was charged for , while the shuttle to Blankenberge was free. I understand that shuttles are now chargeable with certain fare types - and imagine that if there is a coach service toi Bruges it will be substantially dearer than the Blankenberge shuttle.

The tours desk will be able to advise you once you are on board.

Well - I can now clarify thanks to Ray66 :

This shuttle is organised by Cruising Excursions from £28 - http://www.getyourguide.co.uk/bruges...return-t45602/

And after all this, the site itself says the shuttle does not run on Nov 17th although the other website seems to say it does.

It has been really confusing trying to work out how you get to Bruges if you don't take a P&O excursion!!

Thanks to all for trying to help me sort it all out.

Edited by Scriv

I did the train from Blankenberge last December, easy and very cheap as nobody came to collect the fare both ways. :p

Trains are every 30 mins I think.

You should buy the tickets at the station. I was told by a Belgian when I was in Brussels on business that it can be very expensive if you haven't bought your ticket and there is a ticket inspector on board the train.