Bacon Mac and Cheese

butterfly2

I tried to upload a photo but it won't let me, sorry.

It's a bowl of elbow style pasta with a cheese sauce, it is topped with a piece of chicken breast, yes, chicken breast and then 2 strips of bacon were laid on top of the chicken. There were a few small crumbled pieces of bacon in the pasta but they might have broken off the larger pieces. My son had it and said it was ok.

Just off the Imagination yesterday. My nephew ordered it twice. It looks like Kraft, only paler with real bacon bits mixed in. This was offered as a side every night on the "American Table" menu. He was not overly impressed and gives it a 6.5 out of 10. No chicken or bacon strips on top.

Can anyone post a picture of this? Is it like homemade or Kraft Mac N Cheese?

Photo and recipe:

http://www.carnival.com/cms/Funville/times/FunvilleTimes_June2011.aspx

I've seen mac and cheese in the comfort food section of the buffet on ships that have that. I've also seen it on the sea day brunch menu. Somebody else mentioned the one with the chicken and bacon on top. So I think there are different versions of the mac and cheese.

I loved this when ordered from MDR.

I'm British and can't handle processed American cheese, and can tell you they do use actual cheese.

Plus, it's not that luminous colour of kraft hahaa

So, yeah, it's an actual pasta dish as apposed to some crappy packet mix.

If you're on a ship with the new menus, this is a side dish. I haven't had it. Old menus, it is a main dish with chicken breast and extra bacon on top. I personally loved it on the Breeze. Was it the fanciest and most beautiful thing I ate? No. Was it comforting? Oh yes. And now it most certainly wasn't pre-made box stuff.

I loved this when ordered from MDR.

I'm British and can't handle processed American cheese, and can tell you they do use actual cheese.

Plus, it's not that luminous colour of kraft hahaa

So, yeah, it's an actual pasta dish as apposed to some crappy packet mix.

I see from the recipe too that it has that buffalo mozzarella cheese in it which is what Carnival uses on their pizzas. This mozzarella is made from the milk of the domestic Italian water buffalo, and it is so rich and yummy. I love the Quattro Formaggi pizza that has it along with roasted garlic. I'm getting hungry. lol.

I'm not sure what is in it, other than I know it's not KRAFT's glow in the dark yellow, but I can tell you that it's one of the foods I splurge on when on a ship. I'm diabetic, and I am not supposed to do too many carbs, but I MUST have mac & cheese on the ship... I will walk a couple extra laps on the track or around the ship to even it out...

I must admit: when I first heard about Bacon Macaroni and Cheese being on the menu, my initial reaction was: UGH! On a cruise ship??!!

But, when I sailed on Carnival Miracle which was my next Carnival cruise I sailed with this item on the menu, I decided to try it and it was delicious! Good comfort food after many rich entree items.

I had it from the sea day brunch with chicken and bacon (the chicken was breaded) it was soooo good, my DH tried it and really liked it. So later in the cruise when it was offered in the MDR one night DH ordered it and it was just a regular chicken breast and the mac and cheese was also a little different then the brunch, he said the one from brunch was better.

I am VERY critical of the food on Carnival. Cooking is a hobby of mine and my husband's, so we're hard to impress. Hands down, the macaroni and cheese with fried chicken and bacon was one of the best things I had on the ship. I had it at brunch, and I would order it again in a heartbeat.

Edited by zumbagirl78