DIY or Private Tour for Athens~Noon-8:30pm

HeatherJA

I've combed through pages of DIY tours in Athens, reading "get to the Acropolis before everyone else"! Which of course, works wonderfully if you're in port early in the day! Arriving at noon is a different story! We're in port from 12 noon to 8:30 pm. One thing we have going for us: we'll be in Athens late October (less crowds, less heat). This is what we'd like to see: Acropolis, New Acropolis Museum, Mars Hill, Agora, Plaka, Temple of Zeus, Hadrian's Arch, Panathenaic Stadium, Lycabettos Hill.

My first question is, in what order do we take in these sites to avoid crowds? I have to take into consideration that at that time of year, the sun sets around 6:30 pm. I would LOVE to see the Acropolis light up from Lycabettos Hill.

My second question is: how much time should we allow to return to the ship?

My third question is this: if we choose to take a private tour (w/out a guide), what is the advantage of this versus on our own? Are we primarily paying for private transportation and a bit of storytelling/history on the way? If DIYing, we would take the X80 to the Acropolis (use Rick Steves audio guides), metro to Temple of Zeus, and any other public transportation if necessary, and take X80 back to cruise terminal. My MAIN CONCERN is my mother is battling cancer and will be on the trip with us. Before anyone freaks out, she is doing VERY WELL, but her energy wanes and we don't know what she'll be up to doing during the trip. Her comfort is our top priority. We realize that once at the Acropolis we must walk (I've read about the elevator, which is wonderful!). I just wonder if a private tour will save us much walking distance vs public transportation.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

If it were me, this is the order I would do your itinerary:

Panathenic Stadium (closes @ 2:30pm M-F)

Temple of Zeus & Hadrian's Arch (same area)

Plaka

Acropolis Museum

Mars Hill

Acropolis

Come down side to Agora

Lycabettus Hill (I've never been there)

**there may not be time to do it all, we tend to spend lots of time in archaeological sites

It has been 14 years since I did an organized tour in Athens. The last 2 trips DIY. Athens has such a good transportation system that it's a great DIY city. Using the Metro can save getting stuck in traffic (Tip: depending on your last site of the day, you may find it easier to return to Piraeus by Metro and then connect with the local bus from the Metro station to the port gate; for port Gate E12, the bus numbers are 827, 828, 831, 843 & 859. In Piraeus, catch the bus across the street from the Metro entrance, as the stops right out front go in the opposite direction. For us, it was even quicker than the X80 we took that morning & we didn't have to take the time to get back to the X80 bus stop and wait. The local bus stops right outside E12, exactly where the X80 stops.)

The X80 takes approx 30 min to return to Piraeus. From the port gate to the ship is another 10 min or so walking (unless there's a shuttle running, but there's waiting to account for). As always, pad your time comfortably.

I hope you have a great trip! Best wishes to your mom, as well.

Edited by syesmar

Given your list of sights and the fact that you're traveling with someone whose energy level is uncertain, I would recommend a private driver. A driver will minimize walking and waiting--he'll get you as close to the sites as possible, and when you're done, you won't have to walk to the nearest stop and then wait. Most drivers will also provide you with cold bottled water for free. We used Private Greece Tours and loved them; I'd be happy to share more info if you'd like.

If you do decide to DIY, most of these sites are relatively close to each other and accessible by public transportation. Lycabettus Hill is the one exception, and I honestly don't think that would be doable without a driver. There's a funicular to the top, but if you use the bus or metro, you'll still have a good climb uphill to the station. The view is nice but not worth the time and effort it would take in that situation.

The Panathenaic Stadium is also out of the way, but there are multiple buses and trolleys that stop right in front of it. However, a driver or taxi would be handy here--most people just stop for 5 minutes to take pictures, and you'd likely wait quite awhile for the next bus.

If you want to see the Acropolis lit up but don't think Lycabettus is doable, there are many hotels near Plaka that have rooftop bars with lovely views. Given that you plan to be in that area anyway, I might recommend that instead.

Have an excellent trip, and all the best to you and your mom!

As lovely as it might be I don't think the OP will have a chance to watch the sunset on the Acroplois from a rooftop bar. By mid Oct the sunsets at 6:47 and I imagine the OP will be headed back to the ship by that time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As lovely as it might be I don't think the OP will have a chance to watch the sunset on the Acroplois from a rooftop bar. By mid Oct the sunsets at 6:47 and I imagine the OP will be headed back to the ship by that time.

Listen to Chairsin. ;) When you said October, for some reason I imagined a much earlier sunset. And they don't light the Acropolis up until it's pretty dark. But I still recommend a rooftop bar for a daytime view if you decide you want to sit and relax somewhere!

Yeah, I guess you're right, Chairsin! I knew the sun would set around 6:30ish but didn't consider when we'd need to return to the ship. As much as I'd love to be relaxing on a rooftop, mesmerized by the sites, it's certainly not worth missing the ship and the rest of the ports of call! :D

I would hate for you to have your heart set on something and then be disappointed. Better to know in advance. One thing to always check for ports of call is sunset/.sunset times. It really helps with planning. And no, you don't want to risk missing the ship. Maybe next time you will have a cruise that begins or ends in Athens and have the opportunity to spend the night and enjoy this magical view.ImageUploadedByForums1409115015.531100.jpg.fc717634f373a45ff952cc6482d9d70a.jpg

I would hate for you to have your heart set on something and then be disappointed. Better to know in advance. One thing to always check for ports of call is sunset/.sunset times. It really helps with planning. And no, you don't want to risk missing the ship. Maybe next time you will have a cruise that begins or ends in Athens and have the opportunity to spend the night and enjoy this magical view.[ATTACH]323347[/ATTACH]

I agree, Chairsin! I've not thought about sunsets on our past cruises, but since we're cruising in October, it was one of the first things I checked. Also, a lot of our port times are late. For instance, we're in Kotor and Athens until 8 and 8:30, respectively, and Argostoli til 7. Of course, we'd be back on the ship an hour prior to these times, but it will still be getting dark. We'll be on our own in Kotor and Argostoli. Is walking safe at night in these ports?

Sorry I have not been to Agrostoli but I do feel Kotor( at least the area near where ships dock ) should be safe. But of course as with most any city after dark you want to use common sense and be aware of your surroundings.

Sorry I have not been to Agrostoli but I do feel Kotor( at least the area near where ships dock ) should be safe. But of course as with most any city after dark you want to use common sense and be aware of your surroundings.

I've been to Kefalonia twice, and actually walked to and from Lassi to Argostoli at night which is about 3 miles, and can assure you it is very safe, the Kefalonians are very friendly and welcoming, as are most Greeks I've had the pleasure of meeting.

It's not too big a town to walk round but you'll find somewhere decent to eat and drink.

Enjoy!

Edited by Saltybaltiholty

We were on the other side of Kefalonia in June in Sami. Small but friendly place -- we wet hiking up to the ruins of a monastery and acropolis with marvelous views down to the water. I don't know if it is similar to Argostoli but I certainly would have felt comfortable walking around there at night.