Island Princess-Mini Suite B212

ride4806

We have booked this room for our Panama Canal Cruise and was wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to stay in it and if you could let me know if the balcony is covered or not? I am fine with the sun-prefer it actually but DH is a shade lover and I have been reading where some decks on the Princess have open balconies and I just can not seem to find out if this is one of those suites. If you have stayed in this room or any close by I would love to know what you thought of it-we have not sailed on Princess often-only one other time and have yet to book one of their mini suites so I am not sure what to expect. Thanks :)

We stayed in B228 on an Alaska cruise several years ago. Our balcony was fully covered but I believe your balcony may be uncovered. There used to be a site that a CC member had put together for Coral/Island Princess, but I can't find it now. Someone will probably answer that has the link to that site, which shows all the balconies and whether they're covered or uncovered. We loved that mini suite so much that we got spoiled and that's all we book now. You'll love it--very roomy with lots of storage and bigger bathroom with a full tub. You're also very close to the front viewing deck on Baja which will be great for the Panama Canal.

Enjoy!

According to the link in the message above, B212 has an uncovered balcony.

That's what the picture plus the notes say too, I post the thread since Tom's more well known guide is (still) down and I'm temporarily hosting it. Rather than have a thread per cabin let's teach people to fish and look the information up since Tom went to a lot of trouble to organize it.

Uncovered. You can see great pictures on the website above. I was in B219 (B218 on the other side) last year for an Alaska cruise and that's the first uncovered balcony. All balconies forward are uncovered. It's a great location, though, because the secret doors to the front viewing area will be right down the passageway from your cabin. I personally don't like uncovered balconies, but I booked that cruise late and got the dreaded B219 which has the Aloha balcony looking down on us. It really wasn't bad at all and we had a great time. OTOH, that was Alaska where it's cool. The sun is VERY hot on the Canal cruises and I would greatly prefer a covered balcony for a canal cruise.

Thanks so much for the link and for all the information-now that I am aware that the balcony is uncovered I will may sure DH packs accordingly. We have a small fold up umbrella that attaches to our beach chairs, that will ensure DH has the shade he requires, while I will be able to enjoy the sunshine that I love :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, the forward mini suites on Baja deck ARE partly covered; they're just covered from two decks above. There is an over-hang from the Horizon Court area on the Lido deck. We had B208 for a Panama Canal trip and it was terrific. The over-hang provided some shade and protection from rain showers. It is also very convenient to the "secret," forward facing deck space; very nice when going through the canal. Also, due to very little foot traffic, nice and quiet.

Edited by chanteur

Actually, the forward mini suites on Baja deck ARE partly covered; they're just covered from two decks above. There is an over-hang from the Horizon Court area on the Lido deck. We had B208 for a Panama Canal trip and it was terrific. The over-hang provided some shade and protection from rain showers. It is also very convenient to the "secret," forward facing deck space; very nice when going through the canal. Also, due to very little foot traffic, nice and quiet.

I have sailed in these cabins to Alaska and the canal, and there we had no protection. We had rain galore in Alaska.

The cover is 20 ft in the air.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Well we will bring along a clip on umbrella and if there is some shade from above that will be and added bonus-hopefully there will be a minimum amount of rain-I am certain we will have some and being close to the "secret" entrance to the forward facing deck space is an added bonus. Thanks to you all for sharing your experiences-