Dave’s Live from Amsterdam 14-day Alaska, August 24 – September 7, 2014

RetiredMustang

Thursday, Sept. 4, Sitka (cont.)

Tonight was the International Dinner; although the printed menu looked the same as other nights, instead of the wide one grouped by world regions, most of the dishes were the same … which reminded me why we usually ate in Canaletto on that night. Unfortunately, the Canaletto on Amsterdam has gone to that “sharing” menu, which works OK I guess … unless like DW and I you both like something entirely different and don’t want to share.

DW had the baked brie that she really likes, and the orcchiette. I had the seafood chowder, and the roast chicken from the “always available” menu.

Here is the dinner menu:

Appetizers

- Chilled Lychees with Kiwi Wedges (Sprinkled with freshly-chopped mint and served with mango and raspberry sauce)

- Mediterranean Mezze Plate (Creamy hummus, marinated olives, smoky-flavored baba ghanoush, rice-stuffed grape leaves and olive oil-marinated feta cheese)

- Vietnamese Spring Roll with Chicken (Tender grilled chicken rolled together with romaine lettuce, rice noodles, basil, cilantro and toasted peanuts, served with nuoc cham dipping sauce)

- Latin-America-Style Gravlax (Salmon cured with pisco sour, kosher salt, sugar, cilantro and crushed peppercorns, served with a mellow jalapeno-honey mustard dressing)

- Brie in Crispy Phyllo with Apple-Cranberry Chutney (Warm, creamy brie topped with chutney of tart apple, sweet dried cranberries and toasted almonds, wrapped in crispy phyllo dough)

Soups and Salad

- Guiso (A traditional Argentinian soup with pieces of tender beef, sweet potato, carrot, onion, potato, squash and tomato)

- Scandinavian-Style Seafood and Potato Chowder (Silky smooth, thick soup heightened with fresh dill and flavored with aquavit liquor)

- Chilled Pumpkin Soup (Creamy and flavorful with hints of cinnamon, ginger and Vermont maple)

- Shiitake Salad with Sesame Vinaigrette (A combination of crisp, colorful vegetables and grilled shiitake mushrooms tossed with flavorful sesame-ginger vinaigrette)

Entrees

- Orcchiette with Italian Sausage and Escarole (Small pasta shells baked with Italian-style herbed sausage, fresh oregano, tender ribbons of escarole, white wine, diced roma tomatoes and lemon cream, finished with pecorino romano)

- Sitka’s Fresh-Caught Halibut with Asparagus and Fontina Cheese Risotto (Accented with diced tomato and basil oil, available as a vegetarian option on request)

- Bourbon-Glazed Beef with Grilled Portobello Mushrooms (Grilled to perfection and presented on a bed of cheddar cheese grits and sautéed greens)

- Braised Lamb Shank (In a richly flavored red wine sauce with stewed root vegetables, or roasted garlic mashed potatoes)

- Poblano Stuffed “Pechuga de Pollo” (Golden baked chicken breast with roasted, mild-spicy pepper and melting queso blaco, accompanied with braised tomato-cilantro rice, roasted carrots and roasted cumin-buttered corn kernels)

- Tofu and Vegetable Karma (A blend of cauliflower, green beans, tofu, potatoes, green peas and carrots finished with the lively flavors of ginger and cilantro, served with freshly-baked whole-wheat paratha bread)

Here is the dessert menu:

Desserts

- Baked Alaska (With a warm brandy bing cherry sauce)

- The “Big Apple” Cheesecake (Served warm with cinnamon-apple compote)

- Kiwi and Passion Fruit Pavlova (Crisp meringue shell filled with vanilla whipped cream, topped with sliced kiwi and drizzled with passion fruit sauce)

- Mohr im Hemd (Coated with cognac-laced chocolate sauce and topped with a generous cloud of whipped cream)

- Individual Baked Alaska no sugar added (Sugar-free ice cream under a blanket of meringue with a warm brandy bing cherry sauce)

Frozen Treats

- Vanilla Ice Cream

- Biscotti Ice Cream

- Raspberry Sorbet

- Peach Frozen Yogurt

- No sugar added Vanilla Ice Cream

- No sugar added Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

- The Master Chef’s Sundae (Vanilla ice cream topped with mashed tropical fruits, whipped cream and sprinkled with nuts)

Espresso Drinks

- Espresso $1.25

- Cappuccino $1.75

- Extra shot $0.50

Recommended Cordial of the Day: Banana Split (Crème de Banana, Crème de Cacao & Amaretto), $5.95

Available Daily

- Fruit Crisp of the Day: Pineapple Crisp (Fresh out of the oven, served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream)

- Sliced Fruit Plate

- North American Cheese Plate (Colston Bassett Stilton, Chaumes, Taleggio, Old Amsterdam)

More later,

Dave

Great pics from Sitka.

I'm not a fan of the international night. I've tried several dishes and I find its always the weakest menu. Sorry to hear Canaletto is still going with the sharing menu. I had hoped that they would have abandoned it by now.

Thx for the update.

Friday, Sept. 5, at sea

Today is another relaxing day at sea. We set our clocks forward last night, and so are back in the Pacific Daylight Time zone, and should be passing Vancouver Island later in the day. Here are today’s On Location pages:

5SepOnLocation1_zps9bc34261.jpg

5SepOnLocation2_zps1d9f8b82.jpg

More later,

Dave

I did the same tour in Sitka and we had an amazing time. Looks like you got to see some great critters. I checked if the whale you got the nice tail pic of was Domino (did you see him.. he's well known to them and is seen on many excursions), but the tails didn't match. I have lots of nice pics from this excursion and more from my own cruise on a trip review I did in the past week.

I heard the naturalist telling us that the humpback individual whales could be differentiated by their tail flukes (which I had heard on other whale watching trips), but I did not hear them say if any particular one had was known to them by a particular name. But, I may have missed it if they did.

On the trip we took in Icy Strait Point, the crew called the whale I photographed getting ready to dive, near the small boat, by a name - Fergie.

Dave

Friday, Sept. 5, at sea (cont.)

We did a tremendous amount of nothing today, and enjoyed it very much. We did attend the culinary arts center demonstration of making those cinnamon rolls from the Explorations Café, with Master Baker Michael. Here is the recipe card:

Cinnamonrollsrecipe_zps492272c6.jpg

He said the vanilla custard/pudding substitutes for milk, and is the amount from one of the small boxes of Jello-brand vanilla pudding, prepared according to directions. It gives the dough a softer texture. He also said that, for more flavor, you should substitute light or dark brown sugar for white sugar in the filling. And, you should push down on the centers before baking to prevent puffing, like cones.

We sailed through overcast, and periods of fog, and broke into beautiful sunshine in the early afternoon. The weather for tomorrow in Victoria looks to be fine – I hope so, as we intend to walk around the city.

Here is the dinner menu:

Appetizers

- Fresh Fruit with Peach Schnapps (Grilled peach wedges with berries and assorted fruit)

- Harvest Farmers Meat Terrine and Poached-Dill Shrimp (Perched on a mound of Waldorf salad with mandarin-orange-cranberry chutney)

- Parfait of Salmon and Tuna Tartares (Layers of seasoned salmon and tuna tartare served with a crisp crostini topped with crème fraiche and salmon caviar)

- Crispy Sweetbreads (On green pea emulsion finished with port-balsamic shallot reduction)

Soups and Salad

- Corn and Yellow Squash Soup with Crabmeat (A creamy, silky puree of corn and yellow squash, garnished with morsels of crabmeat)

- Italian Minestrone Soup (Vegetable broth with white beans, vegetables and macaroni, lightly seasoned with oregano and parmesan cheese)

- Chilled Sour Cherry Soup (With a mosaic of crème fraiche and fried ginger)

- Mixed Gourmet Greens (Flavorful lettuces sprinkled with a bounty of fresh tomato, crisp cucumber, olives and crunchy croutons)

Entrees

- Linguini with Roasted Garlic (Roasted garlic, shallots, ripe plum tomato, broccoli and mushrooms lightly sautéed then tossed with tender pasta and finished with a light Parmigiano-Reggiano cream)

- Halibut Caddy Ganty (Topped with sour cream, onion and fresh breadcrumbs, served over olive oil red-skinned potatoes, broccoli florets and roasted cherry tomatoes)

- Surf and Turf (Filet mignon and lobster tail with herb garlic butter, on porcini rice, surrounded with an array of sautéed vegetables)

- Prime Rib of Pork Loin with Apple-Cranberry-Spiced Chutney (Served with boiled parsley potatoes and Napa cabbage with apple)

- Coq au Vin (Traditional French preparation of chicken braised in red wine with mushrooms, onions and bacon, served with parsnip puree)

- Savory Grilled Tofu (With seasoned chick peas, caramelized onions and mushrooms)

Desserts

- Flourless Chocolate Cake (A bit of heaven, this rich chocolate cake with its molten chocolate center is topped off with whipped cream and an assortment of berries)

- Crème Brulee (Creamy, dreamy vanilla-scented custard with a sheer layer of crisply caramelized sugar)

- Souffle au Grand Marnier (With vanilla-rum sauce)

- Almond Fruit Cake no sugar added (A moist almond butter cake studded with berries, served with Frangelico whipped cream)

Frozen Treats

- Vanilla Ice Cream

- Cookies ‘n’ Cream Ice Cream

- Lemon Sorbet

- Blueberry Frozen Yogurt

- No sugar added Amaretto Ice Cream

- Blueberry Sundae (Vanilla ice cream capped with a sweet-tart blueberry sauce)

Espresso Drinks

- Espresso $1.25

- Cappuccino $1.75

- Extra shot $0.50

Recommended Cordial of the Day: Mocha Mint (Kahlua, Crème de Menthe and Crème de Cacao White), $5.95

Available Daily

- The Gold Rush Baked Alaska (Cookies and Cream ice cream surrounded by vanilla sponge cake and coated in meringue dusted with gold, served with your choice of topping) (Toppings: Fresh Alaska Berries, Hot Fudge, Cointreau Chantilly Cream)

- Fruit Crisp of the Day: Mango Crisp (Fresh out of the oven, served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream)

- Sliced Fruit Plate

- North American Cheese Plate (Maytag Blue, Brie de Nage, plus 2 others)

More later,

Dave

It was a HAL tour -- it was called "Sea Otter & Wildlife Quest".

Dave

I had friends on our Aug 10th Amsterdam cruise that went on that same tour, they just caught it by accident on the pier, and joined the group, said that was the most FABULOUS tour they have ever been on, and saw all the same things you have described!! I was jealous!! next time in Sitka, I will sign up for that same tour!! glad you had such a great time too!!

I had friends on our Aug 10th Amsterdam cruise that went on that same tour, they just caught it by accident on the pier, and joined the group, said that was the most FABULOUS tour they have ever been on, and saw all the same things you have described!! I was jealous!! next time in Sitka, I will sign up for that same tour!! glad you had such a great time too!!

I did the same tour the week after your friends did it. Also agree it was the best tour I've ever done. Was so much better than I remember the whale watch I did in Juneau many years ago. Definitely recommend it - we would totally do it again as well!

Saturday, Sept. 6, Victoria

I am posting this a bit later than normal – the Internet connections went down for several hours this morning, but were restored by about 8:30 or so. I have to asay, that was the very first glitch of any kind I have encountered with the Harris service. It has been quick (by ship speeds) and reliable, with a strong signal from my cabin at all times. But, we never got all that far away from land; it may be different in mid-Pacific.

Today is our last full day of the cruise. But, before we pull back into Seattle tomorrow morning, we get to visit Victoria, British Columbia. We are looking forward to visiting the city.

Here are today’s On Location pages:

6SepOnLocation1_zps52278aca.jpg

6SepOnLocation2_zps1a244d0d.jpg

And the Victoria pages from the Explorer:

VictoriaExplorer1_zpsf86ad512.jpg

VictoriaExplorer2_zps89f9fe60.jpg

More later,

Dave

Saturday, Sept. 6, Victoria (cont.)

We have been sailing up the Strait of Juan de Fuca between Washington state and Vancouver Island all morning, under a glorious blue sunny sky. We have turned to port and just embarked the pilot for an expcted arrival in Victoria in about one hour.

And, we just finished our lunch. The ship held a “Waroeng Makan Indonesia” special lunch. They held it poolside on the Lido deck, and decorated the area, while many of the staff wore Indonesian clothes:

Indonesialunch1_zps48451e8b.jpg

It featured many of my favorite dishes from the rijstaffel, such as nasi goring (spicy rice), Sumatran beef, chicken, satay with peanut sauce, krupuk (shrimp crackers) etc.:

Indonesialunch2_zpsccb81c0e.jpg

Indonesialunch3_zpse8659da0.jpg

There were also three types of sambal sauce available -- hot, housefire and thermonuclear as I understand it; I did not take any. I asked the server if anyone had, and he said yes. I asked them if he thought they knew what they were doing, and he laughed. Here are the sambal sauces

Sambal_zps294c6226.jpg:

More later,

Dave

Dave; you haven't lived until you've tried a bit of Sambal ;) Goes well with the Nasi Goreng, Sate Ayam and Krupuk plus clears up your sinuses at the same time

Sambal also jazzes up HAL's standard Gado Gado!

As to sinuses: burned mine right off!

Edited by SilvertoGold

We have been sailing up the Strait of Juan de Fuca between Washington state and Vancouver Island all morning, under a glorious blue sunny sky. We have turned to port and just embarked the pilot for an expcted arrival in Victoria in about one hour.

And, we just finished our lunch. The ship held a “Waroeng Makan Indonesia” special lunch. They held it poolside on the Lido deck, and decorated the area, while many of the staff wore Indonesian clothes:

Indonesialunch1_zps48451e8b.jpg

It featured many of my favorite dishes from the rijstaffel, such as nasi goring (spicy rice), Sumatran beef, chicken, satay with peanut sauce, krupuk (shrimp crackers) etc.:

Indonesialunch2_zpsccb81c0e.jpg

Indonesialunch3_zpse8659da0.jpg

There were also three types of sambal sauce available -- hot, housefire and thermonuclear as I understand it; I did not take any. I asked the server if anyone had, and he said yes. I asked them if he thought they knew what they were doing, and he laughed. Here are the sambal sauces

Sambal_zps294c6226.jpg:

More later,

Dave

I'd be all over that sambel. It's a staple in my house.

We were cleared shortly after 1 p.m., and we joined several hundred fellow passengers trying to get off the ship at the same time. But, we got off soon enough, and purchased tickets for the shuttle downtown ($11 CAD each round-trip) and set off.

We wandered for quite a bit, had a beer at the Garrick’s Head, and went down to the waterfront. I took a few shots, including the required shot of the Empress Hotel, along with a topiary rendition of an orca, and a nice area near the site of the original fort:

EmpressHotel_zps465ef7f0.jpg

Orca_zps8e4a4e70.jpg

Victoria_zpsc8d05a2f.jpg

We had dinner at another pub, the Bard and Banker, in the historic building that was once the Bank of British Columbia. The pub is named for Robert Service, a member of the bank staff who later was transferred to a branch in the Yukon, and became the famous poet.

We then returned to the ship to pack and put out our bags, and get ready for debarkation tomorrow in Seattle.

We did not eat dinner on board, but here is the dinner menu:

Appetizers

- Fruit Cup au Naturel (A misture of diced pineapple, mango, cantaloupe and honeydew. Served “au naturel” with a seasonal berry garnish)

- Smoked Salmon with a Melange of Arugula and Spinach (Gently Minced oak wood smoked salmon tossed with diced potato, seared shallots, horseradish, crème fraiche and a fresh citrus dressing)

- Burrata Salad (Tomato, asparagus, prosciutto, balsamic vinaigrette)

- Provencale Vegetable Tart (Served on a rustic, basil-tomato vinaigrette)

Soups and Salad

- Creamy Carrot Soup (Pureed with vegetable broth and infused with roasted garlic, ginger and nutmeg)

- Chicken and Wild Rice Soup (Wild rice with chunks of chicken in a flavorful chicken broth)

- Chilled Blueberry Soup (Flavor-heightened with crème de cassis and champagne)

- Chopped Farmer’s Salad (Mixed greens with red onion, green olives, tomato, cucumber, green beans, diced apple and organic seed mix)

Entrees

- Fettuccine with Old Amsterdam Cheese and Smoked Mackerel (Tossed with extra virgin olive oil, lime juice, pickled fennel, julienne red tomatoes, Prosecco, shallots and garlic topped with minced parsley and sautéed leeks)

- Breaded Haddock Fillet (Dipped in herb-scented crumbs and sautéed until golden brown, served with cold caper remoulade, crisp green beans and boiled new potatoes)

- Grilled Strip Loin Steak with Roasted Garlic Sauce (Served with lyonnaise potatoes and corn on the cob)

- Veal Zurichoise (Tender slices of veal), quickly sautéed and accompanied by a creamy mushroom sauce, served with home-made spaetzle, grilled asparagus and sauteed cherry tomatoes)

- Parmesan-Crusted Turkey Tenderloin (Drizzled with honey-mustard sauce, and served with mashed potato and sautéed cherry tomatoes)

- Eggplant and Zucchini Piccata (With Mediterranean-flavored roasted peppers and fluffy onion couscous, served with fresh tomato coulis)

Desserts

- Black Forest Cake (Light and airy chocolate sponge cake layered with Bing cherries and Kirschwasser-infused whipping cream)

- Tarte Tatin (A classic tart of apples sautéed in butter and sugar until caramelized, baked with a puff pastry crust, served warm with vanilla ice cream)

- Poached Pear (Fresh pear delicately poached in sweetened red wine, filled with sweetened mascarpone and placed in a mixed berry compote)

- Mango Mousse Feuillte no sugar added (Crunchy puff pastry layered with mango mousse and a marinated mixture of passion fruit, kiwi and mango)

Frozen Treats

- Vanilla Ice Cream

- Rocky Road Ice Cream

- Mango Sorbet

- Raspberry Frozen Yogurt

- No sugar added Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

- Pear Belle-Helene (Vanilla ice cream dressed with poached pear slices, chocolate sauce and whipped cream)

Espresso Drinks

- Espresso $1.25

- Cappuccino $1.75

- Extra shot $0.50

Recommended Cordial of the Day: Chocolate Cherry (Crème de Cacao Dark, Bailey’s Irish Cream, drop of Grenadine), $5.95

Available Daily

- The Gold Rush Baked Alaska (Cookies and Cream ice cream surrounded by vanilla sponge cake and coated in meringue dusted with gold, served with your choice of topping) (Toppings: Blueberry Compote, Chantilly Cream, Creamy Caramel Fudge)

- Fruit Crisp of the Day: Banana Crisp (Fresh out of the oven, served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream)

- Sliced Fruit Plate

- North American Cheese Plate (Roquefort, Goat Cheese Brie, Edam, Old Amsterdam)

I will check in from our hotel in Seattle tomorrow to let you know how debarkation went. We are spending another night, to have dinner with one of our sons and to save wear on our nerves. We will take a morning flight on Monday.

More later,

Dave