Dave’s Live from Amsterdam 14-day Alaska, August 24 – September 7, 2014

RetiredMustang

Tuesday, Sept. 2, Kodiak (cont.)

We took the ship’s tour, and although our guide was knowledgeable, he spent a lot of time answering questions instead of hiking. It probably would have been better just to catch a cab, get a map and go on our own – it would have been less talk/more walk.

More later,

Dave

FWIW, another option would have been Memory Maker's tour.

http://www.memorymakersinak.com/cruisers/cruisers.html

We did their tour on the same cruise earlier this summer and they were outstanding. They probably are the best "private tour" in Kodiak.

Monday, Sept. 1, Homer (cont.)

We then found the Salty Dawg (DW pointed out that I had misspelled it as “dog” earlier). We visited both the exterior:

SaltyDawgexterior_zps9b05ce32.jpg

And the interior of the bar:

SaltyDawginterior_zpsbcf3f828.jpg

The bartender said that once a year, they take down the dollar bills and donate the money to charity.

More later,

Dave

Just sayin': When I was there earlier this summer, there were several layers deep of dollar bills tacked to the walls/ceiling. Many on the bills looked really old too. We were told the same thing; however, it sure didn't look like they ever removed any (for charity). I thought it was nice of them to have cups of tacks on the tables so you could a add dollar bill too.

Another good thing about the bar was the free WiFi. Also, if you had a Tracfone (like me) which didn't work in Alaska and wanted to make a call; there was a pay phone in the bar. Tracfone uses the Verizon cell network; Alaska only has the AT & T cell towers/service.

Also, really like your posts (with pictures) on the cruise.

Edited by ScriptOhio

Wednesday, Sept. 3, Hubbard Glacier (cont.)

At lunchtime today, the ship held a salmon bake on the Lido deck:

Salmonbake1_zpsede1c0bc.jpg

Salmonbake2_zps5fa690f8.jpg

I decided to get some, since it was grilled over a smoky fire. They had salads and other sides, including a bonus – mussels:

Salmonbake3_zps98ee623d.jpg

It was a very nice lunch, which went well with the Alaskan Amber beer they had on tap.

More later,

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

Just sayin':

Another good thing about the bar was the free WiFi. Also, if you had a Tracfone (like me) which didn't work in Alaska and wanted to make a call; there was a pay phone in the bar. Tracfone uses the Verizon cell network; Alaska only has the AT & T cell towers/service.

I am loving the pictures too.

Funny about Tracfone.... I used mine in Alaska in May.

Susan

We spent the afternoon cruising up Yakutat Bay towards Hubbard Glacier. At 2:30, stewards served hot Dutch pea soup on the outside decks and in the Crow’s Nest:

servingpeasoup_zps00a5866c.jpg

Peasoup_zps9ac905ca.jpg

It was delicious, and a welcome warming treat, as the weather was getting colder with the air coming off the glaciers, and the wind picking up.

We continued sailing into Disenchantment Bay, and it started raining, but cleared as we approached the face of the very long glacier. Some very deft shiphandling by Captain Mercer and his officers and deck crew maneuvered us very close to the glacier, splitting banks of sea ice. Some on board who had been to Hubbard Glacier before said they had not gotten that close before.

It was eerie listening to the “white thunder” as the glacier moved against the underlying rocks. Occasionally, we would hear the crash and splash of the glacier calving, but by the time we heard the sound, of course, the ice had already fallen. We did see several calving events by watching the face of the glacier closely and not waiting for a sound to alert us, but rather to watch the ice slipping away. It was incredibly cool! (in both senses of the words, as it turned out).

It was fairly clear for a while, but mist and fog started closing in. Even in the best light we had, my camera was not sensitive enough to capture the calving or close-ups of the ice. I did manage to get a couple of medium-range shots, and a panorama:

Hubbard1_zps48216bc2.jpg

Hubbard2_zps731fa1c9.jpg

Hubbard3_zps91469359.jpg

We then retreated from the bays and headed for open water, en route to a visit to Sitka tomorrow.

More later,

Dave

A note for cruz chic: We missed a few days of hors d’ouvres, but enlisted the help of the bartenders, who a couple of days ago said that tonight would be the night for bitterballen, and they made sure we got some to photograph:

Bitterballen_zps1211ed5c.jpg

Here is the dinner menu:

Appetizers

- Citrus Delight with Amaretto (Glistening oranges, pineapple and grapefruit with an autumn-scented cranberry-apple vinaigrette)

- Seafood Louis (A selection of bay shrimp, scallops and salmon gently tossed with a chili-mayonnaise dresseing, served over a mixture of crisp lettuce)

- Sweet Tomato and Fresh Buffalo Mozzarella (Drizzled with aged balsamic vinegar and olive oil under a basil chiffonade and served with fresh focaccia bread)

- Glacier Bay Seafood Cake (A delicate misture of Alaskan seafood with celery, onion and sherry wine, served with a whole-grain mustard sauce)

Soups and Salad

- Cream of Chicken and Artichoke Soup (Tender artichoke hearts paired with plump chicken and velvety cream)

- Greek Meatball Soup (Small, mint-flavored meatballs served in a light chicken broth garnished with julienne of vegetables and finished with whipped egg and lemon juice liaison)

- Chilled Rhubarb Soup (Perfect blending of tart rhubarb, cinnamon and caramelized sugar)

- Tossed Seasonal Greens (Topped with Canadian bacon, assorted bell peppers and julienne of white radish)

Entrees

- Penne and Chicken (Al dente pasta and sliced juicy chicken in a light tomato sauce)

- Salmon Coulibiac (A classic Russian pie of salmon, rice, onions, mushrooms, dill and chopped boiled eggs in a flaky pastry crust, served with a sauce beurre blanc and broccoli florets)

- Red Wine-Braised Brisket (Smothered with sautéed paprika-infused onions, served on creamy buttermilk mashed potatoes with sautéed snow peas, carrots and broccoli)

- Orange-Ginger Pork (Sweet and tangy pork served over fragrant jasmine rice with seared snow peas and topped with crispy scallions)

- Chicken Marsala (Juicy chicken medallions dressed in Marsala cream sauce with porcini mushrooms and dried cherries, served on a bed of fettucine)

- Vegetable Curry with Basmati Rice (Cauliflower florets, green peas, root vegetables and pearl onions slowly simmered in coconut cream and curry spice, served over basmati rice with lime and cilantro)

Here is the dessert menu:

Desserts

- Sacher Torte (The classic chocolate cake from Austria, addictively dark and dense, filled with apricot preserves and enrobed in a shiny chocolate glaze )

- Ricotta and Marsala Trifle (Another version of the popular English classic, Marsala-laced sponge cake slices layered with thick strawberry jam and creamy ricotta custard, topped with whipped cream)

- Crème Caramel (A molded egg custard baked with its own bittersweet caramel sauce and served with a colorful array of fresh fruit)

- Viennese Apple Strudel no sugar added (The Austrian classic, made with fragrant cinnamon-scented apples and raisins, rolled in a strudel dough and served with a warm vanilla sauce)

Frozen Treats

- Vanilla Ice Cream

- Rum Raisin Ice Cream

- Blackberry Sorbet

- Pineapple Frozen Yogurt

- No sugar added Vanilla Ice Cream

- No sugar added Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

- Tropical Fruit Sundae (Vanilla ice cream capped with tropical fruits, whipped cream and chopped nuts)

Espresso Drinks

- Espresso $1.25

- Cappuccino $1.75

- Extra shot $0.50

Recommended Cordial of the Day: Rattle Snake (Kahlua, Crème de Cacao White, Bailey’s Irish Cream), $5.95

Available Daily

- The Gold Rush Baked Alaska (Cookies and Cream ice cream surrounded by vanilla sponge cake and coated in meringue dusted with gold, served with your choice of topping) (Toppings: White Chocolate Fudge, Yukon Whiskey Butterscotch, Brandied Berries)

- Fruit Crisp of the Day: Peach Crisp (Fresh out of the oven, served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream)

- Sliced Fruit Plate

- North American Cheese Plate (Gorgonzola, Pont L’Eveque, Fiscalini Cheddar, Edam)

More later,

Dave

A note for cruz chic: We missed a few days of hors d’ouvres, but enlisted the help of the bartenders, who a couple of days ago said that tonight would be the night for bitterballen, and they made sure we got some to photograph:

Bitterballen_zps1211ed5c.jpg

Here is the dinner menu:

Appetizers

- Citrus Delight with Amaretto (Glistening oranges, pineapple and grapefruit with an autumn-scented cranberry-apple vinaigrette)

- Seafood Louis (A selection of bay shrimp, scallops and salmon gently tossed with a chili-mayonnaise dresseing, served over a mixture of crisp lettuce)

- Sweet Tomato and Fresh Buffalo Mozzarella (Drizzled with aged balsamic vinegar and olive oil under a basil chiffonade and served with fresh focaccia bread)

- Glacier Bay Seafood Cake (A delicate misture of Alaskan seafood with celery, onion and sherry wine, served with a whole-grain mustard sauce)

Soups and Salad

- Cream of Chicken and Artichoke Soup (Tender artichoke hearts paired with plump chicken and velvety cream)

- Greek Meatball Soup (Small, mint-flavored meatballs served in a light chicken broth garnished with julienne of vegetables and finished with whipped egg and lemon juice liaison)

- Chilled Rhubarb Soup (Perfect blending of tart rhubarb, cinnamon and caramelized sugar)

- Tossed Seasonal Greens (Topped with Canadian bacon, assorted bell peppers and julienne of white radish)

Entrees

- Penne and Chicken (Al dente pasta and sliced juicy chicken in a light tomato sauce)

- Salmon Coulibiac (A classic Russian pie of salmon, rice, onions, mushrooms, dill and chopped boiled eggs in a flaky pastry crust, served with a sauce beurre blanc and broccoli florets)

- Red Wine-Braised Brisket (Smothered with sautéed paprika-infused onions, served on creamy buttermilk mashed potatoes with sautéed snow peas, carrots and broccoli)

- Orange-Ginger Pork (Sweet and tangy pork served over fragrant jasmine rice with seared snow peas and topped with crispy scallions)

- Chicken Marsala (Juicy chicken medallions dressed in Marsala cream sauce with porcini mushrooms and dried cherries, served on a bed of fettucine)

- Vegetable Curry with Basmati Rice (Cauliflower florets, green peas, root vegetables and pearl onions slowly simmered in coconut cream and curry spice, served over basmati rice with lime and cilantro)

Here is the dessert menu:

Desserts

- Sacher Torte (The classic chocolate cake from Austria, addictively dark and dense, filled with apricot preserves and enrobed in a shiny chocolate glaze )

- Ricotta and Marsala Trifle (Another version of the popular English classic, Marsala-laced sponge cake slices layered with thick strawberry jam and creamy ricotta custard, topped with whipped cream)

- Crème Caramel (A molded egg custard baked with its own bittersweet caramel sauce and served with a colorful array of fresh fruit)

- Viennese Apple Strudel no sugar added (The Austrian classic, made with fragrant cinnamon-scented apples and raisins, rolled in a strudel dough and served with a warm vanilla sauce)

Frozen Treats

- Vanilla Ice Cream

- Rum Raisin Ice Cream

- Blackberry Sorbet

- Pineapple Frozen Yogurt

- No sugar added Vanilla Ice Cream

- No sugar added Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

- Tropical Fruit Sundae (Vanilla ice cream capped with tropical fruits, whipped cream and chopped nuts)

Espresso Drinks

- Espresso $1.25

- Cappuccino $1.75

- Extra shot $0.50

Recommended Cordial of the Day: Rattle Snake (Kahlua, Crème de Cacao White, Bailey’s Irish Cream), $5.95

Available Daily

- The Gold Rush Baked Alaska (Cookies and Cream ice cream surrounded by vanilla sponge cake and coated in meringue dusted with gold, served with your choice of topping) (Toppings: White Chocolate Fudge, Yukon Whiskey Butterscotch, Brandied Berries)

- Fruit Crisp of the Day: Peach Crisp (Fresh out of the oven, served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream)

- Sliced Fruit Plate

- North American Cheese Plate (Gorgonzola, Pont L’Eveque, Fiscalini Cheddar, Edam)

More later,

Dave

Jealous! Could you pass one of those bitterballen thru the computer screen? Just having a cup of coffee and a few almonds before I leave for work shortly. It's just not the same:D. Really enjoying your thread.

Jealous! Could you pass one of those bitterballen thru the computer screen? Just having a cup of coffee and a few almonds before I leave for work shortly. It's just not the same:D. Really enjoying your thread.

I have to ask because I am intrigued...what is bitterballen :confused: I assumed it was a sweet but here it looks like a savory. I have never seen it offered before. Is it something you have to know where/when to go to get it?

Do you have to grab your snow boots Cruz chic?? Not trying to be smart...but saw the weather reports from some areas of Alberta!

Edited by 1of4

I have to ask because I am intrigued...what is bitterballen :confused: I assumed it was a sweet but here it looks like a savory. I have never seen it offered before. Is it something you have to know where/when to go to get it?

Do you have to grab your snow boots Cruz chic?? Not trying to be smart...but saw the weather reports from some areas of Alberta!

The bitterballen is sort of a meatball but not. I've included this link to describe it. I hope it works. It doesn't sound to great from the description but they are delish. This is coming from a person that not really big on meat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitterballen

Thankfully in Calgary we have not rec'd that snow. I saw pics on the internet and it was shocking to me as well. We've had an incredibly good summer this year but as usual for Calgary it's ends very quickly. Summer one day, winter the next.

Thursday, Sept. 4, Sitka

Today we are in Sitka, and have booked an excursion to go looking for sea otters and whales. We have seen sea otters a couple of times – one swam near our cabin as we arrived in Homer, and we saw a group of a dozen or so a way off from the ship as we departed Kodiak. We hope to get a closer look today. The weather looks OK – partly cloudy.

Here are today’s On Location pagers:

4SepOnLocation2_zpseac8fb48.jpg

4SepOnocation1_zpsf0976e0c.jpg

Here are the Sitka pages from the Explorer:

SitkaExplorer1_zps826794d2.jpg

SitkaExplorer2_zps4967b4e5.jpg

More later,

Dave

I am loving the pictures too.

Funny about Tracfone.... I used mine in Alaska in May.

Susan

My son used his in Alaska June 2013.

I should have clarified.....

If your Tracfone model ends with a 'G' it uses the GSM (Global System for Mobile communication) Network. An example is the LG 840G. All Tracfone cell phones that end with this 'G' use the GSM network, which is either T-Mobile or AT&T. It will work in Alaska.

GSM phones have been very popular with Tracfone, but recently there has been a wave of Android smartphones for Tracfone and they all use Verizon CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) service.

I got one of Tracfone's new LG Android phones. If your Tracfone is a "C" model which mine is, it uses the CDMA Network. An example is the LG 505C. Notice the 'C' at the end of the model number. All Tracfone mobile devices that end with "C' use either Verizon or Sprint networks (CDMA). These don't work in Alaska.

The bitterballen is sort of a meatball but not. I've included this link to describe it. I hope it works. It doesn't sound to great from the description but they are delish. This is coming from a person that not really big on meat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitterballen

Thankfully in Calgary we have not rec'd that snow. I saw pics on the internet and it was shocking to me as well. We've had an incredibly good summer this year but as usual for Calgary it's ends very quickly. Summer one day, winter the next.

Sorry for being off topic but thanks. I will have to inquiry about it next time we are on HAL. Glad to hear you had a good summer, ours...well we are having it today and tomorrow...:o;)

Thx for the bitterballen update. They seem to be in short supply on my cruises. On my Panama cruise I made a special request for them and they did it:D. I was very happy.

I too had to put in a special request earler this year on the Oosterdam. Finally got them.:)

Thursday, Sept. 4, Sitka (cont.)

We arrived at Sitka harbor on time, under overcast skies. We passed several islands on the approach, and the setting of the city is beautiful:

arrivingtoSitka_zps82de5b16.jpg

We boarded directly to our whalewatching boat, and set off through the archipelago around Sitka to look for whales, otters and other wildlife we might find. I took a shot back at Amsterdam below the mountain peaks:

AmsterdamanchoredinSitka_zpsb32d0d33.jpg

We did indeed see much wildlife, including Stellar sea lions, bald eagles, even some salmon jumping in the channel. I got a shot of harbor seals resting on rocks:

Harborseals_zpsffc86ce2.jpg

And several shots of rafts of sea otters. Here are two photos:

Otters1_zpsdf527816.jpg

Otters2_zps1f0a93de.jpg

More in the next post,

Dave

Thursday, Sept. 4, Sitka (cont.)

And, we also saw lots of humpback whales:

Preparingtodive_zpsa44c8c49.jpg

Onedivesoneblows_zps192236f7.jpg

Flukes1_zps5c8a6983.jpg

Flukes2_zpsce55c2f3.jpg

Flukes3_zps85f6ff62.jpg

This was probably the best excursion we have taken this cruise, and the one on which we saw the most wildlife. It was raining when we got back to Sitka, and it was well after noon, so we returned to the ship. Clearly, we need to come back to see more of this area.

More later,

Dave

I did the same tour in Sitka and we had an amazing time. Looks like you got to see some great critters. I checked if the whale you got the nice tail pic of was Domino (did you see him.. he's well known to them and is seen on many excursions), but the tails didn't match. I have lots of nice pics from this excursion and more from my own cruise on a trip review I did in the past week.

Dave

Love your reports. I was wondering if the coupon book that was in your cabin had a 100.00 coupon off any excusion. I thought there was one but before I call HAl I want to make sure there was a coupon.

thanks

Mary

The "onbaord value booklet" that I received did NOT have any coupons for excursions.