Mayan Ruins on the Cheap? - Carnival Cruise

mehimand5ofthem

I have a family of 7 and we want our next cruise and include Mexico (or Belize) specifically to see some ruins. Where are the BEST ruins that Carnival offers? We do not want to book through the cruise line for an excursion, at nearly $100 per person. Can we not take a cab or a bus to the ruins? Anyone have experience seeing the ruins without booking the excursion?

Help please!

Edited by mehimand5ofthem

I googled Altun Ha in Belize which I knew to be relatively close to Belize City, about an hour from the Belize City Port. I have no experience with taxis there since we did a ship's excursion to the Lamanai ruins which are far from the city and a great experience with a river boat ride and howler monkeys greeting us. By the way, this is a tender port with a long ride from outside the reef to the port.

In Costa Maya, we took a ~ 50 minute bus ride to the Chacchoben ruins. (not particularly impressive) I remember seeing taxis outside the port gates.

I hope you find more information on your roll call and on the port section of this forum.

Sail the Triumph to Progreso. Here you'll have the choice of three different Mayan trips: Dzibilchaltun, Uxmal, and Chichén Itzá. All three are trips offered by the ship and all three are trips offered by the independent excursion company Autoprogreso at a discount. Additionally, you can arrange taxi service to each and also tour service through a number of smaller outfits. Dzibichaltun is nearby, 20 minutes or so, and also offers swimming in a cenote. Uxmal is an hour or so away, and is, in my opinion, the place to visit. Chichén Itzá is an hour and half away and is famous for a reason. Hope this helps.

I googled Altun Ha in Belize which I knew to be relatively close to Belize City, about an hour from the Belize City Port. I have no experience with taxis there since we did a ship's excursion to the Lamanai ruins which are far from the city and a great experience with a river boat ride and howler monkeys greeting us. By the way, this is a tender port with a long ride from outside the reef to the port.

In Costa Maya, we took a ~ 50 minute bus ride to the Chacchoben ruins. (not particularly impressive) I remember seeing taxis outside the port gates.

I hope you find more information on your roll call and on the port section of this forum.

We did Altun Ha through Island Marketing in Belize. It is about an hour drive there, 4 hour total tour. It was $42.50 pp.

1383610_677150788976515_1737339150_n.jpg.7bbc93dbe1a167e17db730e73061829c.jpg

I second PacificMountain2012 -- Go to Progreso. Dzibilchaltun is the closest, most convenient ruins at only 10 miles inland, plus they have a swimmable cenote. I think your party could easily cab it over there and do it cheaply. However, if your party is willing to pay a bit more, by all means go to Uxmal -- it's impressive, plus you can climb some of the ruins. The ship-sponsored excursion was very comfortable, and our guide was very friendly and knowledgeable.