First Time Cruiser just off the Breakaway

diskids2

We are/were first time cruisers. Here's a short review from my point of view.

Spa Balcony rooms - We were in 14112-14118. Forward. We used the spa once for massages on a sea day. I think I would have used the spa more if the weather were poor. To be honest I never went into the spa except for the fitness room and the treatment room for the massage. I had three in my room. There was enough space for clothes and toiletries but when all three were in the room together, getting ready, it was a bit too crowded! The other three rooms had only two people in them and it was much better being able to use the "sofa".

Dining - we purchased the UDP and had dinner in specialty restaurants every night. Cagney's was our favorite. Cirque food was our least favorite. We also had sushi and ate from the raw bar along with Carlo's Bake Shop and Gelato. I loved the lobster tail! The gelato was just ok, not really to my liking, the strawberry tasted like cotton candy. I can't compare the specialty restaurants to the MDR's as I never ate in them, not even for lunch or breakfast. We had breakfast at the buffet and once in O'Sheehans and lunch at the buffet or O'Sheehans. Off the boat we ate at the Swizzle Inn and Frog and Onion for lunch...both very good.

Entertainment - I enjoyed all the shows: Cirque, Second city, Rock of Ages, Martin Brock, Burn the Floor. My favorite was Rock of Ages....and IMHO it is not appropriate for children or young teens. We had all adults, but I'm just giving my opinion on that.

Activities/Games: Everything was very crowded on sea days. Can't comment on port days as we were off the boat for all three. If you got to the games early, you had a seat, but even getting there 20 minutes before, we were standing.

Pool: All I can do is shake my head....for that large of a ship and that little pool! We got to the Port at 9 am and had the first boarding group, 10, after the VIPs, went straight to Guest Services and got 9 Vibe passes for the week. Our numbers went to 24. I had a GREAT Cruise and without Vibe I am not sure I could say that. It was AWESOME to be able to get up, have a nice breakfast around 8-9 and then go up to Vibe knowing I had a place to lounge. The hot tubs were not very HOT, which I liked because I could actually stay in them for a long period of time. Everyone that was there was nice and took turns going in and out of the tubs and the atmosphere was perfect.

Bermuda: Loved it. Took a private 6 hour tour of the Island and saw all the highlights on Wednesday. Did things around the dockyard on Thursday, including the dolphins, Calico Jack's, etc and on Friday morning went to Horseshoe via a cab which was not inexpensive but I was neurotic about being back on the boat on time.

Service: Steward was wonderful..never had to ask for things twice. All staff were accommodating and friendly. Guest Services and restaurant desk were not very friendly, but that's there problem! I will add that sometimes the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing but things seemed to work out.

First Few Hours: To be honest, after the first few hours on board, I was almost ready to come off the boat! It might have been my lack of experience but it was very nerve racking. As I said we were the first boarding group, went directly to Guest Services and got Vibe. I had to sign a consent form for my 19 year old to consume beer and wine. I had to wait on the Vibe line and then get on another line at Guest Services to do that (which I was instructed to do). So my husband got on the line for the consent and I stayed on the Vibe line. Of course, my son's card needed to be changed so there was a bit of confusion behind the desk but they sorted it all out. Then (we had four rooms for 9 people) only one room had the UDP sticker on the cards we were given at the terminal. So we were directed to go to Le Bistro to get the stickers. Le Bistro directed us back to Guest Services who directed us back to Le Bistro. Now I decided to be a team player and wait in line each time I was sent back and forth until the last time I was sent to Le Bistro. I simply walked ahead of everyone (sorry!) and asked for the supervisor...who came out and actually gave us the stickers. Then we wanted to add the soda packages and the supervisor at Le Bistro sent us back to Guest Services who, yes you guessed it, sent me to Headliners for another wait in line. Well by the time we did all this we got to O'Sheehans for lunch at 2:30 and barely made it to the muster drill which was in the theater ( thank goodness!) for us. I experienced nothing like this the rest of the trip and just chalked it up to me not knowing what I was doing :rolleyes:.

Overall a GREAT first cruise and we can't wait to do it again. Thanks to everyone who posted here. I read and lurked alot!

Edited by diskids2

Thanks for letting us know your thoughts! I'm glad you had a good time, in spite of some confusion at first. You chalked it up as your own fault for being a newbie, but I disagree. Sounds like they were very disorganized on the ship, but at least it was eventually taken care of.

I have 2 children... one is 13 the other is 11. I was told I shouldn't purchase the udp for the 11 year old because he only needs to pay 1/2 of the cover charge at each restaurant. Just wondering if he will have to choose from a special menu or can he select from the regular menu.

Leaving Sunday on Breakway!

Thanks

I have 2 children... one is 13 the other is 11. I was told I shouldn't purchase the udp for the 11 year old because he only needs to pay 1/2 of the cover charge at each restaurant. Just wondering if he will have to choose from a special menu or can he select from the regular menu.

The half price is for regular menu. Kids eating off the kids menu (AFAIK the same in all restaurants) are free.