MSC Cruise questions

photobug

The information I have read in this forum on MSC cruises had been for the

most part very positive but I would appreciate some feedback from those

who live in the USA and have travelled on this line.

My TA emailed me and said their agency have mixed reviews on the line.

The cabins are small, food, entertainment and waitstaff not as good as the

mainstream lines. Also their agency don't sell many MSC cruises as they feel

clients would be happier on other ships.

My thoughts:

I love the itinerary on the Jan 13, 2006 sailing of the Lirica. I completely

understand this is an European line but this doesn't scare me. I've had

small cabins before. Food is subjective...hubby and I aren't picky. We go

with the flow. Waitstaff....over the years this has varied..no problem

for us. Entertainment has varied so much over the years that something

new might be fun.

I've booked this cruise and really want to go. I guess all I'm looking for is

some verification I'm doing the right thing and that we will enjoy it.

Thanks so much for your help.

Andrea

At the last moment we joined our DD and her DH on the Opera last February from RT FLL W. Carrib. and had a blast! The atmosphere is lively but not intrusive, the atmosphere active and people very pleasant. Except for a disaster at lunch in the main dining room, food and service were just fine. In fact the kids are absolute vegeterians and our waiters went overboard to see that they ate well. I do recommend the upper dining room even if you sit on the side. Seemed less "busy" after the diners entered. The "lobster" dish was a disappointment for which we made up with desserts.

We loved the "fashion show." There were Europeans on board..and did they dress, or sort of sometimes..not dress. It was great fun. Even when casual, there was a flair that we enjoyed. I'n not just talking about the women here.

As for entertainment. We went to more shows on MSC than any other cruise. The classical pianist was suberb, the tenor very entertaining, and the rest of the crew worked overtime to be "on stage." I think we went to the first show and enjoyed it so much, we made a real effort for the others. Was each one a standout..probably not, but somehow it blended well. Several of the dancers were classically trained in the Russian tradition and it showed in the precision of their dances even if when they were on the deck by the pool.

I am not a pizza fan, but enjoyed theirs very much. We also knoew exactly when the soft serve ice cream bar was open. DD & her DH discovered the ?? coffee bar lounge and felt the charge was very reasonable for the their concoctions. That's where we had an impromptu Super Bowl party. The smokers seemd to congregate across the stairs and we had our side very comfortably. Funny thing, I can't remember who was playing, but it seemed "they"..the smokers were all for the other team. Maybe the smokers who rooted for our team were with us but kindly refrained from lighting up. Of course we were busy being very noisy.

Yes the cabins are small, even the balconies are small. The forward balconies can be windy.I have to say, the arrangement is extremely efficient and if we had had a balcony as did DD it would have been just fine.This is from someone who had "S" on the Prinsendam and Zuiderdam. Of course the bathrooms have only a shower which takes a bit of maneuvering....so? Maneuver!:)

Now our cruise was just seven days....really not enough, but if you think you may get cabin fever consider a balcony. It is easy to get lost watching water.

We had Catholic Mass every day which for me tends to put things well into perspective. An attitude of gratitude works wonders.

Bon Voyage.

I went on the Opera over Easter. I also went to more shows on this cruise line, and every single show was impressive. The cruise staff was very entertaining as well, and always seemed to have something going on. My son ate pizza every afternoon (we were at the late seating for dinner) and had spaghetti every single night.

I also enjoyed mixing with different cultures. Nice to see how the rest of the world lives. ;)

It was a lot of fun; I don't think you'll regret it!

Thanks for the quick replies. Now I am more than ready to try

MSC Cruises.

Kim...thanks for the webshots. This helps to clinch my upcoming cruise.

The entertainment looks so different from the other cruiselines.

Last Feb I sailed on the OPERA - it was wonderful. I had cruised on Italian ships back in the 1970's & 1980's. If you like European service Italian style I think you'll enjoy it. The difference with MSC America - is that the ships are new. Yes the cabin was small - I had an inside - but it was more than adequate - the steward was great as were my dining room waiters - they love to see you enjoy what they serve.

Overall the service onboard was a 9 out of ten. I have sailed NCL, RCCL, HAL(along with Celebrity & Cunard)(I had sailed on the NCL Dawn over new years just 6 weeks prior & the HAL Prinsendam in May 14 day transatlantic). I would pick MSC over the Dawn & Prinsendam & RCCL cruises any day.

The size of the ship is ideal - it wasn't crowded (I aso did not feel like I was on a floating mall)& had plenty of venues for all. If you are the type that wants hamburgers in Rome - its not for you - if you like Europe & its style go for it.

I really enjoyed seeing all the different nationalities & the children were very well behaved I must add. AS the other poster mentioned - the Runway show was great. There was such a wonderful atmosphere onboard. Costa was like this before Carnivore took over.

I laughed, danced & ate well all week - if you know of the Home Lines Oceanic - the Opera was the closest to it I've come in a very long time. And for goodness sake - eat lots of pasta & pizza - both were fantastic!

MSC is not well known in the U.S. right now but the articles that I've read in the travel trade press is that they are working hard to change that. They invested a LOT of money purchasing the ships of defunct Festival Cruise Line last year and they've got to fill them. Plus they have two 3,200 passenger vessels on order. They know there is a knowledge gap in this country about them and they are working rapidly to both understand and cater to North American tastes.

If you want the same experience you've always had on Princess, Carnival and Royal Caribbean, stay with the mainstream lines. If you want an international experience, new destinations and a lot of Europeans, give Costa and MSC a try. I expect within 5 years MSC will be a well-known brand among cruisers.

BobK/Orlando

recently off: Sea Princess

I am an experienced cruiser and enjoyed my MSC cruise very much overall.

I took a tour of all cabin types and I can tell you that they are no smaller than those aboard RCI and NCL. Carnival and X give you a bit more space but for me its not a big deal.

Dining room food and service were superior to most mainstream lines and the atmosphere is reminiscent of the old Home Lines, which has a huge legion of fans, myself being one.

I was on Sinfonia last month in the Med and the ship is every bit as lovely as an X ship, only a bit smaller which I loved. I had been on Carnival a few months before and felt like a salmon swimming upstream for 7 days and this ship was the opposite. It was also immaculate!

Are there differences? Absolutely! So if you are looking for a cookie cutter cruise I would say MSC would not be a good fit. As a TA, I agree that there are clients I would not put on MSC but that is because I know what their expectations are. I also have clients I would never put on Carnival, because I know what their standards are for food and service.

I would say you should give it a try and see for yourself.

Hyah i sailed on the opera on 11th june this year whilst this was my first cruise i have nothing to compare it with but i deem myself very lucky to have experienced my first cruise with MSC. The opera is a beautiful ship i shared with my sister and the cabin was plenty big enough .... plenty of choice ref food, entertainment varied, the staff were nothing less then pleasant and courtious at all times, we had coffee, tea, jug of iced water brought to our cabin within minutes of requesting it every day and varying times of the day. I desparately want to go on another cruise with them before the end of the year, only reason i have not booked it yet is i not want to pay single supplement but if push comes to shove that is what i will have to do, cruise i am looking to go on is 11 nights on the sinfonia sailing on the 21st November to the med mmmmmm decisions decisions lol love patricia xx

• 6 years later...

Archived