Back from 8/6/05 Zenith

moai

I will just give you a quick overview of what we did and feel free to ask any questions, I have all the schedules

Sat. Casual. We got to the terminal around 10:45am DH dropped the luggage and us and went to park; he was able to get a space close to the entrance and was back in two mins. We had an Xpress pass, but we really didn’t need it because all the check in lines were empty. Then we went to sit down and wait to take the buses to the ship .I thought it will be an hour because there was a big sign that said boarding at 12, but 2 mins later they called us to take the buses. Our room was ready so we dropped off the carry- on and went to explore the ship. Sailed at 4:30pm clear day, were able to take pictures of the Statue of Liberty and cruising under the Verrazano, awesome.

Sun. Formal night. Crowded by the pools, but it did not bother us because we were looking for shade and found it by the Grill on deck 11.

Mon. Casual .We walked around Hamilton in the Morning came back for lunch and took the bus (got the 3 day pass) to Elbow beach. Rented chairs and umbrellas.

Tues. Informal. Took ferry to Dockyard, kids did Dolphin swim. Then took the bus to Horseshoe Bay. By the time we got there, around 1pm, (had lunch there) there weren’t any more chairs or umbrellas for rent. I found some shade in the cove to the right. DH and DD did some snorkeling. What I found disturbing was that some teenagers and adults also were climbing a big rock (sign said Danger do not climb) and diving on the other side. And there wasn’t anybody to stop them. We are not beach people, so we do not stay more than 2 hours at the beach.

Wed. Casual. Missed the town cut entrance to St Georges, by the time I got to the Grill (had breakfast there every day) by 8am, we were docking. Did Wildcat ride. We went around the island in two hours, very nice. Daughter wanted to water ski, so we made reservations for following day at 10:30. Went to the Crystal caves and had lunch at the Swizzle inn.

Thurs. Formal. One of the water ski broke down and they wanted us to come back the next day, we told them that we were leaving that afternoon, then they said 2 pm, but I thought it was cutting it to close ( ship was leaving at 3pm) so we left. DD was very disappointed. Got a full refund. DD’s went back to the ship and DH and I walked around St Georges, went all the way to St Catherine’s fort and took a cab ($7) back and did some shopping. Saw the town cut this time, very impressive.

Fri. Casual. We found our shade on deck 12 aft port side and read for a couple of hours.

I saw all the shows, the singer and dancers were excellent, and they did three shows, Thoroughly Broadway, World Goes’Round and That 60’s show. Bob Trunell the Magician and Noodles Levenstein, the comedian were also good.

Cruise Director Kevin Tann tripped on the stairs of the Show lounge last night. They told us he was o.k. I’ll be curious to know if he sails on the next trip.

If you have kids, make sure they go to orientation the first night, even if they do not want to participate on their programs this way they can meet other kids. I was concerned because last year we sailed for the first time on the AOS and the kids had a lot to do. But they found friends and they did participate in some of the scheduled activities.

Food was good but not better than Royal Caribbean (my only reference point). Service was a notch better. I guess serving 1700 people is easier than serving 3500. Room attendant and waiter were very good.

Any questions? :)

moai, thanks for your review...

I'm glad to hear the check-in at Bayonne is much easier and less hectic than NYC.

We have only been to Horshoe Bay Beach; how does it compare to Elbow Beach ? Are there restrooms there ?

We have not been to St Catherine's fort since our honeymoon 26 yrs. ago and plan to go next time. How was the walk from the ship ? Did you see the beach there ? If so, what was it like ?

travelgals, we've cruised to Bermuda 3 times already, and we've had very rough seas, moderately rough seas, and 'smooth as glass' seas (and there were 3 hurricanes in the Atlantic with one headed for Bermuda this time). Hard to predict on this route !!

thanks again ...

How rough was the sea?

Travelgals, just noticed you sailed on the Atlantic in 1982 ... so did we !! This was our 1st cruise to Bermuda, and it was really rough !! People bouncing off the walls, dining room half empty for dinner, my DH got seasick and never got seasick again after that 1st cruise ! We went in August but would have to look up the exact date. It didn't stop us from cruising though, and finally was able to again after our son was older. We didn't want to cruise when he was young and went to Disney world and beach vacations, instead.

We just love Bermuda the best and cruising is a great way to experience it !!

Moai, Will be in Bermuda this Nov on the Jewel. At Horseshoe Bay , is there a small jitney that will take you back up the hill. Going down is fine, but coming back could be a killer. We are sailing the Zenith next year, 13 day. Thanx Barb

Well, this time around the seas were "smooth as glass", for which I was very happy because I was dreading cruising down the Atlantic. The weather was perfect the entire week.

I thought Elbow beach was as nice as Horseshoe Bay, (and not crowded) but does not have facilities. We didn't need them but I have read on these boards that you can use the facilities of the Elbow Beach resort. Maybe somebody else can verify this.

The walk to St Catherine was o.k. we even took a little longer route and went through the golf course. The beach is small but they have concession and music, everyone seems to have a good time.

Beej. Yes, there was a very enterprising young man taking people up the hill in his van for $1 each. It is worth it after a few hours at the beach.

DaisyL, That is so funny, I'm pretty sure we went in August also, but can't find the records. It was the only rough seas cruise we've had- I remember feeling a little sick and missing one dinner and many other passengers were even worse. All other cruises were smooth. That's why I'm a little concerned since we have the kids with us and I want them to really enjoy it. We'll just cross our fingers and hope for the best.

FF, we were having breakfast outside on deck 11 (by the grill) when we saw the Horizon entering Hamilton, it did an U turn and "parked" right behind us.

When we went to the Dockyard on Tuesday, the Voyager of the Seas was there, that is why Horseshoe Bay was so crowded.

And when we arrived at St Georges on Wednesday NCL Majesty was there.

Around 9000 cruise ship passengers in any given week. Amazing. :)

Around 9000 cruise ship passengers in any given week. Amazing. :)

The Royal Gazette ran an article there were over 10,000 cruise ship visitors this past week, the largest amount ever - the Zenith was at capacity with over 1600.

DaisyL, That is so funny, I'm pretty sure we went in August also, but can't find the records. It was the only rough seas cruise we've had- I remember feeling a little sick and missing one dinner and many other passengers were even worse. All other cruises were smooth. That's why I'm a little concerned since we have the kids with us and I want them to really enjoy it. We'll just cross our fingers and hope for the best.

travelgals, maybe we were on the same cruise or maybe the ship was so unstable all the cruises were rocky... ;) The 1st time on the Horizon (sister to Zenith) it was really smooth and the 2nd time it had some rough spots but we were fine. Take Bonine (not sure about the kids though -check beforehand) if you need to , it works great and does not make you drowsy. If you need to sleep though, take Dramamine instead. My son's GF (Legend, May 2005-1st time cruiser) got a little seasick and took Bonine and was fine after that. The rest of us were OK though... guess we're used to it.

Have a great trip ... and please post when you get back... we'll be on the Zenith in Oct ... last cruise before drydock ...

You found the cuisine of Michel Roux not as good as Royal Carribean? Having been on RCCL a dn the Zenith I am quite surprised to read this.

Maybe my expectations were too high after reading on these boards how superior Celebrity was.

Maybe my expectations were too high after reading on these boards how superior Celebrity was.

What RCCL ship were you on? We were on Serenade of the Seas and found it mediocre. But that was just one ship. But that Ranch Steak.....

Archived