!!! DIVINA !!! Eastern Caribbean ^_^ The Ultimate Review and Complete Pictorial Guide

gambee

Gambee, your reviews are just amazing. Always a joy to find a new one! Loving the new pics with the new camera too. ;) I too now sold my rx after less than impressive results. I'm looking forward to really testing out my 6000 this fall on the Getaway. Oh, by the way, I did find the tripod you were talking about and ordered one. It is awesome! Thanks so much!

I have only done one CCL ship myself (my husband has done several when he was a kid with his family) and I was not a big fan personally. However, after reading your Breeze review and sharing it with my family members; 8 of us booked the Breeze for the southern itinerary for next year!

So upsetting that your mom fell! I hope MSC reads your review (and the many other complaints about the same problem) and fixes the problem instead of just placing a sign there! They really should have done more for your mom that day! But, so glad she is now recovering and it wasn't serious.

Thank you for your endless hard work and attention to detail. You have a rare talent that we all appreciate here at CC. Looking forward to the rest of your review. Hope we get to cruise together someday!

I regret recommending the RX on the first place. While it is a good camera, it just can't compare to larger sensor cameras. Hopefully, you will get some great pictures of the Getaway with the new A6000. I am really happy with that camera. Her focusing speed is just unbelievable! You will love it!

I have been told that MSC is indeed following the review. Hopefully, like you said they will fix that area and avoid future problems.

Thank you for posting, Have a great cruise on both Getaway and the Breeze :)

Thank you for posting :)

Hi Gambee. Great pictures of Orient beach. I was pondering where to go on my next cruise to St Marten. I think I've made up my mind to spend the day at Orient beach. Thank you for the pictures and information. Gary:cool:

You're very welcome Gary. Have a great cruise :)

I am a carnival cruiser who loved your Carnival Breeze review. Looking forward to your final analysis and comparison of to other ships.

Thank you for following this review, even though you only cruise Carnival :)

Thoroughly enjoying the review as always, Gambee. We also had the mailman as our guide in St. Maarten an he was a blast. I remember that topless women drink for free at the Sunset Bar at Maho beach. Just sayin' :D

Lol, I guess I am out of luck ;)

The ride to Maho is now much faster with the opening of a new swing bridge. I have not previously heard of this type of bridge before. I think we took about 20 minutes to arrive there. You drive through several mansions., including the one of the wealthiest family on the island, which by the way is ridiculous! I could not obtain a clear picture of it.

MSCDivinaDay4-218_zps7e464385.jpg

MSCDivinaDay4-219_zpsea2d1eca.jpg

This bay works as a safe ground for boats when storms approach the island. He explained how it is protected from the strongest winds.

MSCDivinaDay4-220_zps1e5a3dfd.jpg

MSCDivinaDay4-221_zpse19e915c.jpg

MSCDivinaDay4-222_zps5fa79008.jpg

This is the new terminal.

MSCDivinaDay4-223_zpsb9d63bfe.jpg

By the way, the Mailman was hilarious, great sense of humor! Maybe a little much for children, but since there were no kids in our tour it was all good. I am sure that he accommodates his humor depending on the crowd. Just hope you get him without any kids.

The terminal used to look just like this building.

MSCDivinaDay4-224_zpsd3cec90d.jpg

MSCDivinaDay4-225_zps851c7ccd.jpg

We got there just when a plane was landing. This is the second busiest airport of the Caribbean, when you consider its size. I think he said the busiest was in San Juan, but quite honestly I cannot clearly remember.

MSCDivinaDay4-226_zps38bd566c.jpg

MSCDivinaDay4-227_zps60232b5e.jpg

MSCDivinaDay4-228_zpsf57aeb2a.jpg

MSCDivinaDay4-229_zps3f042359.jpg

Maho beach is a very busy place. I heard people complaining that they planned to stay there the entire day, but later realized that it was too busy. Just bear in mind that this is a beach that people go to have a good time and get tons of pictures. Not very relaxing at all, but a blast nonetheless.

We parked and he told us to be back on the bus in 25 minutes. Traffic in St. Maarten can get very bad and he did not want to risk it by arriving late to port. This was kind of a bust. Quite honestly, I think I could have gone without the stop in Marigot and more time here. Nonetheless, like I said this was the best way to find out what you love to do next time you go back to the island.

He told us that the Airfrance large aircraft was about to land, so we were super excited. This was a transatlantic aircraft flying in. Before we got off my uncle asked for more drinks and I said what the hell ill take one too. This was the last of the rum punch.

MSCDivinaDay4-230_zpsb0503905.jpg

As we were walking, I saw this!

MSCDivinaDay4-231_zps12b0185a.jpg

MSCDivinaDay4-232_zps36e4ebd4.jpg

That was a big blow for my heart melted. That was our only chance at seeing a large aircraft because of the limited time there. What else could we do? So we kept on walking and heading down to the beach. If we had not stopped for drinks, we might have made it on time.

Oh well, life continues

MSCDivinaDay4-233_zps7fed1027.jpg

We kept on walking towards the main airport area.

MSCDivinaDay4-234_zps204b5988.jpg

It was PACKED!!

MSCDivinaDay4-235_zps603c883a.jpg

MSCDivinaDay4-236_zps64299b07.jpg

MSCDivinaDay4-237_zps4a589767.jpg

MSCDivinaDay4-238_zps15df48f8.jpg

I could see the Air France plane taxying =(. Quite honestly. I don't think we would had made it anyway.

Also a personal suggestion here, get the first seats in the bus! When we got on the bus, he told us that the back row had space for 4 people, so we went there. But quite honestly that was a big mistake! First of all we were the furthest away from the drinks. The second problem is that we were always the ones to get out of the bus last. And considering the limited amount of time in each stop, every second counts! Third problem, there are no windows, and if you like taking pictures like I do, the window is a must! Fourth problem, you can barely hear him talk from back there. The only plus was that you had a nice view from all directions.

MSCDivinaDay4-239_zps849fb49b.jpg

Edited by gambee

There is a lot of erosion on that beach, it is mostly rocks now. In order to get to a nice beach area you have to head to the other end, you might actually be able to get some nice relaxation there as well.

MSCDivinaDay4-240_zps04958c3c.jpg

This is the beer available in the tour.

MSCDivinaDay4-241_zpsd3f07cee.jpg

You can rent those there from the restaurant, but honestly the area is cramped. Not sure if I do it. Then again if mom wanted it, then I would get it.

MSCDivinaDay4-242_zps43c0d21b.jpg

MSCDivinaDay4-243_zps0ae401d9.jpg

That restaurant is really happening. The placed was packed! My mother and my aunt decided to stay by the restaurant, I think they were tired by then. I was actually thrilled about this, that mean that I did not have to worry them falling on the rocks or the street.

MSCDivinaDay4-244_zpse263d0ae.jpg

Edited by gambee

Does anyone know what this building is all about? I loved the red lights on it!

DivinaDay1-336_zpsd3a1c617.jpg

I am only on page 11 so I don't know if anyone else has replied yet, but that structure contains the emergency storm doors for the Port Miami Tunnel.

My uncle and I headed towards the main area where most of the people were located in. The walk there is a tad tricky, and the best way is walking on the street. I know, it's not safe. But the rocks are even less safe. Just make sure you're walking against traffic so you can keep an eye on the cars, and you don't get hit.

Then some planes started coming in.

MSCDivinaDay4-245_zpsc93300c4.jpg

MSCDivinaDay4-246_zps7912c5fb.jpg

MSCDivinaDay4-247_zps7891fbaf.jpg

MSCDivinaDay4-248_zpsb58be957.jpg

MSCDivinaDay4-249_zps36e9e921.jpg

Does anyone know what this building is all about? I loved the red lights on it!

DivinaDay1-336_zpsd3a1c617.jpg

I am only on page 11 so I don't know if anyone else has replied yet, but that structure contains the emergency storm doors for the Port Miami Tunnel.

Ohhh, that makes sense. Someone else said it was the children's museum, but I think they meant the one on the other side.

MSCDivinaDay4-250_zps579869aa.jpg

This is a really busy street. Most drivers are aware of this and thus drive slow. There are tourists everywhere, and no one cares where they walk.

MSCDivinaDay4-251_zpsc4ccf43a.jpg

Nice picture.

MSCDivinaDay4-252_zpsd8c38466.jpg

This was a really nice wave break area, but I could not obtain one of the big waves breaking there.

MSCDivinaDay4-253_zps8f54d5d5.jpg

The weather that day was not the best.

MSCDivinaDay4-254_zps6125ae61.jpg

MSCDivinaDay4-261_zps86f7492d.jpg

MSCDivinaDay4-262_zpsccbcbf9a.jpg

It was truly a very busy airport!

So right when we were supposed to start walking back, we saw the Mailman. I asked him if it was time to head back, and he said "no", we have a big boy coming in and another going out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG WE WERE GOING TO WAIT FOR THEM!!!!!!!!!

I GOT SO EXCITED! YOU HAVE NO IDEA!

The Mailman

MSCDivinaDay4-263_zps931a60a9.jpg

It was so funny, he knew everyone! And then he started directing traffic.

MSCDivinaDay4-264_zpsb9e3a92e.jpg

There is a lot of erosion on that beach, it is mostly rocks now. In order to get to a nice beach area you have to head to the other end, you might actually be able to get some nice relaxation there as well.

As I understand it, the sand on the beach comes/goes depending on the seasons and the currents. At some times during the year it is a much nicer beach. :)

Thanks for the updates. I'm going on Western Carib w/Divina but it's still fun to see what you did on your Eastern Carib cruise! Thanks Gambee!

As I understand it, the sand on the beach comes/goes depending on the seasons and the currents. At some times during the year it is a much nicer beach. :)

Thanks for the updates. I'm going on Western Carib w/Divina but it's still fun to see what you did on your Eastern Carib cruise! Thanks Gambee!

That would explain why I still see some recent pictures with more sand than mine. Thanks for the info.

The cops came by and made them move.

MSCDivinaDay4-277_zpsde473a66.jpg

MSCDivinaDay4-278_zps8e35ccff.jpg

The Mailman was directing traffic, and directing people as well. Very cool guy, my God, his jokes were to die for. Most of them very personal, I won’t ruin it for anyone, but yeah, ask for him.

MSCDivinaDay4-279_zps52995650.jpg

The coast guard did a “Sobre Vuelo” :D, I hope you know what that means by now ;)

MSCDivinaDay4-280_zpsc1d25579.jpg

MSCDivinaDay4-288_zps6d1968f9.jpg

We kept on waiting, still some more planes coming in.

MSCDivinaDay4-289_zps8542c542.jpg

I love how well this picture came out, Mailman was a bit worried that the sailboat was going to interfere with the larger aircraft's path and they had to make a second go around. Oh, by the way this is the #3 most dangerous Airport in the world? I think, I should have taken more notes.

MSCDivinaDay4-290_zps77b81c97.jpg

MSCDivinaDay4-291_zps7b247739.jpg

Gorgeous picture.

MSCDivinaDay4-293_zps0f01912a.jpg

Edited by gambee

They fly so close to you!

MSCDivinaDay4-294_zps7a7788e4.jpg

MSCDivinaDay4-295_zpsae9a950f.jpg

MSCDivinaDay4-296_zps891ddc91.jpg

And there she goes

MSCDivinaDay4-297_zpsedf7d7fa.jpg

We kept our eyes on the horizon looking for a larger aircraft. When far, far away I noticed some lights and I yelled “There it comes” In Spanish. My uncle was having a having a hard time seeing it, but soon enough he spotted it.

How cool is this picture? Spot the plane?

MSCDivinaDay4-298_zps959f37dc.jpg

The sailboats moved out of the way.

MSCDivinaDay4-299_zpse3a57848.jpg

MSCDivinaDay4-300_zps683fbd1c.jpg

Just so you know I took 900 pictures in 35 minutes. My new camera shoots 11 pictures per second in burst mode. It is very easy to fill a memory card that way. It was very hard sorting through all those pictures, and just choosing a few to share.

MSCDivinaDay4-302_zpsc9f75bdb.jpg

MSCDivinaDay4-303_zps0cfd7142.jpg

This is truly an incredible experience!

MSCDivinaDay4-301_zps4a1cad76.jpg