tour info Hong Kong, Shanghai, Taipei

ADVANCEDJK

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know of private tour guides in Hong Kong, Shanghai, and or Taipei. Any info helpfull.

Thanks

Jennifer

Jennifer - everyone says you can do HK on your own - I'm still researching Taipei for a driver/guide too....

Re Shanghai, I'm considering a company called "China Highlights"

http://www.chinahighlights.com/beijing/optionaltours.htm for private excursions / transfers for both Shanghai and Beijing.

When are you travelling - sounds like you're doing the same itinerary as me? ;) If you're on a Princess ship, I believe the ship offer a transfer service from the ship to the centre of Shanghai for $16pp return, which I'm also considering!

Linda

Sheila - you'll be travelling long before me sadly! :( We don't go until Nov 2006 on Sapphire Princess) ...I just can help but plan in advance, it gives me something to look forward to!!

But, yes, I will probably use China Highlights to do the transfer to Beijing at the end of our cruise, together with a days sightseeing too... and maybe get them to organise a days sightseeing for Shanghai.

Which ports are you visiting? I did read about Oceania and I'm sure you'll have a great time - they sound a great cruise line. :)

Have you been to the Far East before?

Linda

Hi Linda,

Yes, we've been to Asia before. We love the Orient!! My husband was stationed in Japan from 1954-56 and took me there about 20 years ago. Since then, we have been fortunate enough to return two more times. We were on a land tour of Asia -- Hong Kong, Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand last November. When Oceania announced their new itinerary to Asia on December 1st, we didn't hesitate to book this one. We haven't been to Japan in over 20 years, so we decided to take Oceania since they were offering free airfare and a two for one cabin price. We start in Beijing (and are going on a private tour to Xian) then we sail to Seoul,South Korea; Shanghai, China for two days; Hiroshima, Japan; Kyoto, Japan for two days; Okinawa, Japan; Ishigaki, Japan; Taipei, Taiwan; and then Hong Kong and home.

Sheila

Linda

Thanks for the info

We are traveling on the Diamond this November Bangkok to Beijing.

For Taipei check out Edison Travel Service. They have quoted for a private tour with pickup from the Doc in Keelung.

I look forward to reading you review - we're doing exactly the same itinerary next Nov 06! Thanks for the Taipei info too. :)

Hi Linda,

Yes, we've been to Asia before. We love the Orient!! My husband was stationed in Japan from 1954-56 and took me there about 20 years ago. Since then, we have been fortunate enough to return two more times. We were on a land tour of Asia -- Hong Kong, Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand last November. When Oceania announced their new itinerary to Asia on December 1st, we didn't hesitate to book this one. We haven't been to Japan in over 20 years, so we decided to take Oceania since they were offering free airfare and a two for one cabin price. We start in Beijing (and are going on a private tour to Xian) then we sail to Seoul,South Korea; Shanghai, China for two days; Hiroshima, Japan; Kyoto, Japan for two days; Okinawa, Japan; Ishigaki, Japan; Taipei, Taiwan; and then Hong Kong and home.

Sheila

Sheila - nice trip, I'd love to have seen more of Japan, but our itinerary is quite comprehensive so I can't complain (we're doing Bankgkok/Singapore/Ho Chi Minh City/Nha Trang/Hong Kong/Taipei/Okinawa/Shanghai/ Nagasaki. Beijing) ....and so far I've learned how to say thank you in Japanese & Taiwanese!!

Do tell me your favourite bits on Hong Kong and Ho Chi Minh if you don't mind..

My hubby is looking forward to touring the Okinawan Battlefields and memorials; myself I have always wanted to visit H/Kong.

Thanks!

• 8 months later...

If your ship docks in Keelung and you have to be back to the ship at 6pm, you won't have much time to visit Taipei.

My suggestion is to visit the northern coasts and areas around Keelung. The most amazing site you will visit is Yeliou, but all along the northern coast of Taiwan is truly beautiful and still unspoiled by external forces. The tourists you'll likely see will be local tourists. But if you visit these sites during a weekday morning, you are likely to encounter minimal crowd. Check out

http://www.northguan-nsa.gov.tw/

Click on English version.

The Queen's Head in Yeliou is a must-see! The walk towards the Queen's Heas is so breath-taking with the waves within 5 feet of you. It's thrilling.

You can probably do the northern coast in 4 hours, then ask your driver to bring you into Taipei, about an hour to 90 minutes (depending on traffic) from the northern coast. Visit Taipei 101, the tallest building in the world or experience the cleanest subway system in the world. I have written a little bit about Taipei 101 in another thread, so just search for Taipei 101.

But make sure you tell your driver that you would like to include a Taipei city tour, otherwise most of the bus tours you hire from Keelung will likely include only the northern coast tours. All the prices should be discussed and agreed upon before you get on the bus.

So the key is hiring a reputable driver (and he's usually a knowledgeable guide) and bus company. I'm sorry I can't help you more there.

Do tell me your favourite bits on Hong Kong

We were just there in HK last month. I suppose after a cruise, taking the Star Ferry from Kowloon to Hong Kong or vice versa wouldn't be as exciting. But for HK$5, you have a fun ride. The feeling you get from riding the Star Ferry during the day and at night is totally different. I think it's more fun to see the lights at night from the Kowloon side.

Shopping on Granville Street in Kowloon is an experience. Dim sum in Hong Kong is a must too.

Archived