Weather during Spanish Med cruise and temperature onboard

Hi All,

I've been lurking on these boards for a while now but this is my first post!

I will be joining the Independence of the Seas on 6th September for a cruise around the Spanish coast. I was wondering if anyone knows what the weather will be like at this time of year, what the weather is like during the sea days and what the temperature is onboard the ship in the evening?

I appreciate you can't predict the weather but a general idea would be fab so that I can make sure I pack appropriately. Also, I recall from previous cruises that it was really cold on the ship during the evenings...

Thank you!!

2 years ago I was on the Splendour of the Seas from Venice in July, then the MSC Fantasia from Barcelona in September. There was no noticable difference between the temperature, both touching 30c!

Have felt it cool in Barcelona mid-October however, so I guess it can go downhill day by day at that time of year

We are also on this cruise. We have never found the ship to be cold in the evening, but always pack a pashmina just in case.

The weather in the Med should still be very nice at this time of year.

We are packing for warm weather but including a couple of jumpers and jackets for the return especially across the Bay of Biscay.

As we have no restriction on baggage allowance from Southampton we always take a waterproof jacket and a small umbrella just in case.

Hope this helps a little.

Jane

Cruising the Med in September, even in October imho, is the best time of year - the temperature is not has hot as the Summer months. Bring a sweater (jumper) or a shawl for the evenings if you think the air conditioning might be a bit much. In NYC we can buy these $5 "pashmina" shawls (which the ships generally sell for twice as much.) Many of my coworkers in the city buy these and we use them on the subways (underground) or trains when the air is cranked up too high..and they fold away easily into our purse.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Pack for summer the weather should be really warm but I'd take a fleece for up on deck as it gets chilly and windy especially on the Bay of Biscay.Ive never found the inside of the ship to be cold but maybe as said by someone else take a pashmina just incase. You'll love Indy have a great time

Hi,

Welcome to cruise critic!

We are also on the 6th Sept sailing. I am planning to take shorts and t-shirts for day time and a pashmina for evenings. In the ice rink for example you may want something to wrap around you.

You should pop over to the roll call, everyone is really friendly :)

See you on board!

Hi All,

I've been lurking on these boards for a while now but this is my first post!

I will be joining the Independence of the Seas on 6th September for a cruise around the Spanish coast. I was wondering if anyone knows what the weather will be like at this time of year, what the weather is like during the sea days and what the temperature is onboard the ship in the evening?

I appreciate you can't predict the weather but a general idea would be fab so that I can make sure I pack appropriately. Also, I recall from previous cruises that it was really cold on the ship during the evenings...

Thank you!!

I found out about the Cruise Outlook website ages ago, here on Cruise Critic. It's an invaluable packing tool!!! I've pulled up your sailing for you: http://cruiseoutlook.com/report/royal-caribbean_independence-of-the-seas_14_nights_2014-09-06

Thank you everyone for your replies to my queries! I'm really looking forward to this cruise! I'll be travelling with my husband and 20 month old toddler who has recently developed a fear of the sea (and water) since a visit to the beach in Wales! Should make for fun cruising!

Oh dear!! Hopefully the cruise will change their mind.. ! Bless. What kind of cabin are you staying in?

Thank you everyone for your replies to my queries! I'm really looking forward to this cruise! I'll be travelling with my husband and 20 month old toddler who has recently developed a fear of the sea (and water) since a visit to the beach in Wales! Should make for fun cruising!

You probably would like looking at the Family Cruises sub forum to get advice and reassurance before you go! It looks like a pretty good resource for a young family like yours. Good luck! I wish you the best of cruises. Indy is such a lovely ship with a great crew who really loves children. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Greetings from Spain! September in the Spanish Med is HOT! Today it is 34 degrees Celsius on the coast of Andalucía. Out at sea it will be cooler but you will certainly not need fleeces - a pashmina for late night on deck is ideal.

What Spanish ports are you calling at?

Look at he the website holidayweather.com for monthly averages for each of your ports of call. As with anywhere there is no constant. We have taken many Med cruises in Sept ( we leave next week for 22 days on the Seabourn Legend London to Monte Carlo )and the weather has been all over the map. I always pack a variety of clothes that layer . For instance a cotton t for warm days, a printed cardigan over the t on cool days, and a knitted jacket or raincoat to go over that on really cool or rainy days. And yes, if you are sailing the Bay of Biscay and ports of call along that part of the world it can be chilly. Two years ago in May it started snowing as we headed into the Gironde Estuary toward. Bordeaux.And the day before we leave I always check Intellicast 10 day forecast for the major ports and decide if I need to adjust my packing list toward clothes for warmer or cooler than average temps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I didn't read all the posts, but in a short answer to your initial question:

We just got back from the Med (Cadiz/Seville, Valencia, Granada, etc.) and it was pretty hot and humid most places, especially Seville. Of course, the farther from the water you are (for example, Seville) the hotter it will be as you walk around. I sweated SO much in Seville (104 Fahrenheit) and Granada that it kind of dampened my enthusiasm a bit and curtailed my overly-ambitious plans, but I still had a wonderful time. Just don't underestimate that hot sun and what it can do without adequate lotion or protection. There were lots of red people on our ship after a few days. We only had a part day of cloudiness/coolness (in Gibraltar) the whole two weeks, and no rain, but hey, I guess that's better than the alternative. Take water with you when you go off the ship. I would have loved to have done this cruise a bit earlier for lower temps and less people in the places we visited, but it was the only cruise I could find that visited 2 wonderful Canary Islands plus Madeira, so that was that.

Enjoy. We had a wonderful time.

We're staying in an inside cabin so thankfully we can hide the water from her. Showering is going to be a major battle!

Thanks for all the info on temperatures. The ports of call are Malaga, Cannes, Palma, Barcelona, Lisbon, Vigo, Cartegena and another that I've now forgotten!

Lisbon and Vigo are on the Atlantic coast so will be a bit cooler.

All your other ports are going to be hot so go ashore prepared with bottled water (or better still buy it once ashore as it will be much cheaper than on board!). Don't forget plenty of sun protection - the sun in southern Spain especially is very intense. We live fifty minutes drive from Malaga and the temperature is currently 34 degrees.

Edited by campolady