What are the odds....

KLD1019

Our next cruise on the Dream isnt for another year. We're booking in 2 weeks a cove balcony. What i REALLY want is an aft (more specific, aft wrap around), but i cannot convince DH.

I see upgrades happening on here all the time. So, is it too much to book for a cove, and hope for an aft upgrade!? The only problem would be that there's a limited amount of them! LoL But hey, a girl can dream! :o

Our next cruise on the Dream isnt for another year. We're booking in 2 weeks a cove balcony. What i REALLY want is an aft (more specific, aft wrap around), but i cannot convince DH.

I see upgrades happening on here all the time. So, is it too much to book for a cove, and hope for an aft upgrade!? The only problem would be that there's a limited amount of them! LoL But hey, a girl can dream! :o

Same odds as #1 in mega lottery

I figured that. I doubt id convince him to take it even if we did get an upgrade. We liked the cove of a friends we saw. we had a regular balcony on our last one and seeing our friends cove convinced us to book one for this one. Then i saw on here all the aft pictures and reviews and really fell in love with them. Maybe next time....

The limited number of Aft and especially Aft-Wrap isn't the only problem - there's also the fact that these are highly desirable cabins and usually get grabbed early on. But good luck with that.;):p

i know! i didnt realize how desirable they were until i started looking into them. i would have never considered anything aft, and i didnt think people did either, but boy was i wrong! :o

i know! i didnt realize how desirable they were until i started looking into them. i would have never considered anything aft, and i didnt think people did either, but boy was i wrong! :o

It's just something for you to look forward to booking next time. I booked my first Aft-Wrap VS for next month a full year ago.:eek: But I got the one I wanted.;)

Of the 2 cruises we have sailed with Carnival, I have yet to receive a call from this elusive Upgrade Fairy. :rolleyes:

Two cruises isn't that much. There are people with 20, 30, and more cruises who have never received the call either. I have never received an Upgrade Fairy call (I think she is indeed very rare these days), I have gotten a call from the Upsell Fairy three times - I took the offer twice and turned it down once.

The other issue with aft wrap upgrade is that is a major upgrade from a balcony room to vista suite. If you really want the room better to book it than hope for the upgrade/upsale call. We have a wrap around( our first) book for next November for Alaska. Very excited to see the difference our group has 2 other cabins booked on either side of me, so kinda have that entire corner the ship to ourselves.

Of the 2 cruises we have sailed with Carnival, I have yet to receive a call from this elusive Upgrade Fairy. :rolleyes:

We've never received that call, either, and this is our 8th Carnival cruise.

I received an UpSELL call last year, but didn't take the bait.

We book early so we can get the cabin we will be satisfied with. Then if a wondrous offer does not materialize we are still happy. :)

Aft cabins are my favorites. I had a regular balcony for our first cruise, which was nice, and then decided to try and aft after seeing pics on here. We LOVED it. It's so peaceful to sit out and watch the wake. Our past 2 cruises and 1 of our upcoming cruises are in aft cabins, and after that I am trying a 4K (interior with French door). I wanted an aft cabin for that cruise but couldn't swing it. :(

The odds are pretty poor...the aft category seems to sell out quickly and completely. So, even if the upsell fairly called you I don't know that there wold be any aft cabins especially aft wraps to even offer you. I would say if you want it now and it's available and you can afford it, you better book it!!!

can you book it and say look-- they upgraded us to the aft area.

what is his reasonings behind not wanting one?

LOL i wish! he knows what the price difference is!

he thinks seeing the constant wake and the location will make him sick. but yet, he boasts about never being sick with his offshore trips and being in rough waters at the lake so he knows hes not prone to motion sickness. :rolleyes:

and because majority of the people we're going with are booking coves. maybe on the cabin crawl after seeing one, he'll change his mind. we didnt go on the CC on our last one

Do what I did...I wanted the aft wrap. It was $490 more. DH said no. So I called my pvp and asked how much the aft view balcony was and it was like $30 ish more...I said ok!!!!

I haven't told DH yet!!!! :D

Edited by kelkel2

Had the aft wrap on my first cruise. Glory, stateroom 8448. Awesome. Even loaned it out to a couple of our table mates. ;)

I'd come across the paperwork for it a couple days ago... didn't realize how much I paid... nearly 4x what it's costing for the reserved balcony I've got in October. Part of it is the location. The other part is the time of year. Mid March is peak season. October is hurricane season, lol.

We have a cove balcony booked on the dream leaving on Sept 7 this year. We got an upswell call for a regular balcony for $40. We decided to keep the cove. Aft wraps sell out very quickly and most likely won't be available.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are a handful of balconies left for the 9/7/14 Dream cruise, and one is an aft wrap. Someone with a balcony guarantee is in for a treat.

Edited by tncap

There are a handful of balconies left for the 9/7/14 Dream cruise, and one is an aft wrap. Someone with a balcony guarantee is in for a treat.

Wow, so it can happen!:eek::) It will probably be upsold pretty easily though, and never make it to the balcony guarantee assignment phase. Do you happen to know if it's always been available, or was it maybe a recent cancellation?

I would set the odds at zero.

Wow, so it can happen!:eek::) It will probably be upsold pretty easily though, and never make it to the balcony guarantee assignment phase. Do you happen to know if it's always been available, or was it maybe a recent cancellation?

It was a recent cancellation. I have been following the availability pretty closely.

I received my balcony assignment 33 days out for this one.

Edited by tncap

We booked our first aft cabin about 6 weeks out from sailing (Dream 2012) and due to a cancelation on a wrap a couple of doors down we upgraded ( we paid for the upgrade). We did a spa balcony on the cruise after that (Dream 2014) We are going back to the wrap for our next cruise (Valor 1/2015). We booked in June for this January cruise and were only the 2nd wrap booked on that sailing. I was really surprised. There are still 2 out of 6 available. That is definitely an anomaly when it comes to the wraps. I would say if you want it then book it, or at least a regular aft.

As far as sea sickness goes. I think you would be better off on the aft rather than watching the water rolling past ( likened to trees passing by on a car trip). There is at times some vibration at the aft, but I didn't find it very noticeable and it certainly wasn't a detractor. Good luck !