Cruise Concerns

Survivor I

I have cruised previously but with a significant other. I am now single 50+ male & considering a solo adventure. Are there any recommendations on destinations or specific cruise ships that cater to singles more than another?? or is going on a cruise centered more for the couples and family. Did not really pay much attention to any of those facts when I was out. Went on a Caribbean cruise on the Grandeur and loved it. Any suggestions or first hand advice would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

Survivor I

I've sailed solo once and the only problem I had is that if I actually wanted to be alone I basically had to "hide" from all the people I met who wanted to adopt me. LOL. Seriously, I met many wonderful people and could either spend time alone or be with my new friends. It was great. Best tip: Ask people if it's OK to sit with them during shows or entertainment. They may say no, or they may say yes and you don't hit it off. But. You just might meet someone to hang out with. My least favorite time is eating alone at a table in a room full of happy, laughing couples and groups. Made me feel wierd. Only happened once or twice though. As I said, I got "adopted" and invited to meals by any number of folks.

I've sailed solo once and the only problem I had is that if I actually wanted to be alone I basically had to "hide" from all the people I met who wanted to adopt me. LOL. Seriously, I met many wonderful people and could either spend time alone or be with my new friends. It was great. Best tip: Ask people if it's OK to sit with them during shows or entertainment. They may say no, or they may say yes and you don't hit it off. But. You just might meet someone to hang out with. My least favorite time is eating alone at a table in a room full of happy, laughing couples and groups. Made me feel wierd. Only happened once or twice though. As I said, I got "adopted" and invited to meals by any number of folks.

I've cruised solo three times and agree with most of the above. However if you chose traditional/fixed dining you will not be eating alone in the evening. Some lines seat you on a large table with other solos.

Note, solo not single. On my last cruise one gentleman was travelling alone because his wife did not like sailing and he did not like flying, so they holidayed separately.

I like the deck games and trivia and the same people would turn up, you soon got to know people and it was natural to join them in the bar etc.

Excellent advice so far on this thread. Being on your own does not mean you are "singled " out. By all means ask if you can join people at their table if there are free seats. Or invite people wandering around looking for a seat in the buffet to join you at your table. Take an interest in everyone you meet - who are they? what do they like doing? what did they do today? There is nothing people like more than someone who seems interested in them.

Please, go and join your roll call group. You will start the cruise out with many friends you have already met through these boards. Sometimes sub-groups form - let's all meet for dinner the night before we sail. Who wants to have a drink at Sparky's Bar on (island X at 5 p.m.?) Wanna join the slot pull? These are all ways to find new people you like. And just because some of them are couples, doesn't mean they are allergic to a new friend who is solo. Jeez, I love my husband, but I can't spend time only with him - I need other people too.

I recently finished my first solo cruise -a 118 day World Voyage. I loved the freedom of traveling solo (doing what I wanted, etc.). I met some great people. We had a fantastic roll call and I never felt alone. When we started there were 10 solo travelers at our dinner table - six of us were on for the full time and we became like a family (celebrating birthdays, checking up on each other if someone was sick, etc.). I met a number of people onboard attending various activities like trivia.

Go and enjoy!

I haven't travelled solo but even when I have gone to an activity like trivia on my own I have always been 'adopted' by a team and I always do the same for others. Take it as an opportunity to make new friends from all over the world :-)