Summit in San Juan--flight question

cbsmama

For a noon flight, is getting to the airport around 11am ok? About how long does it take to get from the port to the airport?

Also, does Celebrity have a self-assist disembark?

Yes, you can self disembark, just make sure you can manage ALL your own luggage, as a 5 yo probably won't be much help in that department.

Your noon flight is probably ok, but I would never plan to arrive at the airport only an hour earlier in San Juan. It will be filled with cruise pax so lines are apt to be long, and as mentioned already, you have the additional step to go through with the ag inspection. I've only flown out of SJU once but it was barely controlled chaos.

We are also cruising from San Juan in April. I have no input on the airport question but I am praying that your 5 year old is not on our cruise week. I will never understand why people take kids on such decidedly ADULT ships and itineraries.

It's hardly an adult ship or itinerary. It's springtime, and although we don't know the exact date, likely a spring break cruise which means a lot of kids onboard. Lots of kids onboard + a dedicated kids' club program + a tropical beach itinerary... hard to see how that is an ADULT ship OR itinerary, LOL. :rolleyes:

But given that you don't seem to realize any of that, I can only assume that you have unrealistic expectations of cruising in general. And since in my experience it is those with unrealistic expectations who end up disappointed and thus often complaining loudly about those unrealistic expectations not being met, (and annoying other pax in the process) I hope that YOU are never on a cruise that I've booked. Bet I'm not the only one who feels that way either. ;)

The ag inspection is nothing to fret about. I would have no problem with a noon flight after this itinerary, but I would absolutely self-disembark and be off the ship at the first opportunity. Chances are you will make it to the airport (which isn't all that far) with hours to spare, but better to be prepared.

been there, done that several times. Go for the noon flight. You should be fine. If your kid is really being a laggard then just just ditch him/her at the concierge desk with a note saying you will be back in a year to fetch. Celebrity is real good about putting urchins to work - especially in the galley where they always need dishwashers and floor moppers. If they make it a whole year i hear you can get bonus double captain's club points and a free beverage package on the cruise you book to retrieve the miscreant. Heck of a good deal. Worked twice for us, and our two little anchors learned to speak pretty good colloquial spanish. Was way lots cheaper than annual language camp. Win, win. We're now looking at china cruises. Anybody know the earliest we can catch a flight out of shanghai? Thinking it might be a good time for the young'ns to learn chinese. I heard that on the asian routes they might get trained in on making stir fry and sushi. Now that would be awesome and tasty.

lmao -- :d

Been there, done that several times. Go for the noon flight. You should be fine. If your kid is really being a laggard then just just ditch him/her at the concierge desk with a note saying you will be back in a year to fetch. Celebrity is real good about putting urchins to work - especially in the galley where they always need dishwashers and floor moppers. If they make it a whole year I hear you can get bonus double captain's club points and a free beverage package on the cruise you book to retrieve the miscreant. Heck of a good deal. Worked twice for us, and our two little anchors learned to speak pretty good colloquial Spanish. Was way lots cheaper than annual language camp. Win, win. We're now looking at China cruises. Anybody know the earliest we can catch a flight out of Shanghai? Thinking it might be a good time for the young'ns to learn Chinese. I heard that on the Asian routes they might get trained in on making stir fry and sushi. Now that would be awesome and tasty.

Your post is in very poor taste and very funny. :)

I don't believe you need to self embark for a noon flight. You will have to fill out a form related to disembarking where you will have to fill out your flight info. On this form I would request the earliest disembarkation group number after those who self disembark. I have done this and it has been honored. I would also make sure I secure a porter as soon as I walk into the baggage claim area. This speeds your passage through customs and to a cab. We had a 1 PM flight in March, were in no particular hurry to get off the ship and were still at the airport by 9:30 AM. We breezed through the agriculture check in minutes and then discovered we could not check in our luggage until 2 hours before our flight, so had to hang there an hour until we could check our bags.