Appropriate dress for mid-October Med cruise

Beeba22

What is the proper dress for women and men for daytime sightseeing and dinner?

The weather at that time of year is usually quite pleasant in the Med but tending towards cooler evenings. Sightseeing will probably involve visiting churches so knees and shoulders should always be covered, but long sleeves are not necessary unless the weather turns bad. For dinner the "proper" dress is pretty much the same as anywhere else in the world although Med cruises are often dressier than elsewhere. However Celebrity's dress code doesn't change wherever you are.

Personally I'd take a mixture of everything as the weather can be unpredictable. You'll definitely need something to keep you warm if you want that stroll around the ship in the evening and something for if / when it rains.

We took a cruise in April and found that we needed lots of layers. That way you could take stuff off if you were warm and weren't cold and kept dry. :)

I find it helpful to look at the globe when planning clothing for a trip -- then I take everything:p

Seriously, Americans think of the Med. as a warmer weather place but it is between 35 degrees and 45 degrees on the globe. Cities you have heard of on that span of the globe in America are Boston, New York City on the southern portion and Bangor, Maine and Nova Scotia Canada is about the same latitude as Milan Italy! For some reason this always surprises me as I plan and I think Med. cruise and WARM!

Layers are the way to go. I almost always have a light fleece. Short sleeve T shirt under long sleeve blouse or sweater (button layer better than pull over -- can open close for minor adjustment;) ) An outer layer short coat (mine is like a trench coat) or a jacket -- my favorite is a pleather (vegan leather or plastic leather) which zips up tight and has pockets (for the hands) and is large enough to go over several layers. If it is rainy and wet, my mickey mouse heavy plastic poncho from Disney World is popped on top. Weather forecast of "Full Mickey" means put your whole suitcase on. :eek: I also have a thin pair of leather gloves and a hat that covers the ears. These take little space but have given me more comfort than almost anything else in the whole wardrobe. Remember if a storm comes up a ship's deck is a cold place to be and add wind from the movement of ship and YOU ARE COLD no matter which ocean you are on.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. There is a wealth of information and friendship here.

Where are you from in the USA? If cruise starts in mid Oct. you are coming back around the first of November and you might need the same warmer clothes for travel home from the airport.

It is a pain BUT I wear my outer coat and fleece on the plane -- does not count for suitcase weight!!! Also on long flights, the airplane can get COLD (or HOT) so you want warmth with you on the plane. Usually I will have my fleece on at some point on the plane so it too is in the carryon. Don't count on the blanket being enough (if there is one) to protect from the AC drafts.

We were there in mid/late October. As a female I found that most days I preferred jeans or longer pants, and a thin short sleeve or sleeveless t-shirt with a cardigan. Some days I just ended up wearing the t-shirt and others I opted for the extra light layer. We were usually walking quite a bit so that kept us pretty warm. I'm glad I kept my clothing simple. It allowed me to mix and match according to the day and accessorize to jazz it up.

On the ship I made sure to bring a sweatshirt (as I do on all cruises. I find common areas tend to stay cool). The evenings would be a little cool but a shawl or cardigan worked great to add to my dinner attire. I never needed a jacket. I did however need a rain jacket. I got one that can scrunch down into its pocket. It fit in my larger purse so I always took it ashore. It was great for a light rain we had in Athens and a rainy day in Naples.

As people have suggested, layers. But don't overpack. I found packing for the med to be much like packing for home in the fall. A few short sleeves. A few long sleeves. Nothing too heavy and nothing too light. It was nice that I only needed one swimsuit (for on the ship hot tub) and one pair of shorts (other than some I brought to sleep in).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk