Ginger pills

toby517

We have used ginger pills in the past during cruises to avoid seasickness. We do remember starting to take them 10 days prior to the cruise, what we can't remember is if you take 1 or 2 a day. Does anyone know?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We have used ginger pills in the past during cruises to avoid seasickness. We do remember starting to take them 10 days prior to the cruise, what we can't remember is if you take 1 or 2 a day. Does anyone know?

Thanks

I don't know, but I'd love to know what ginger pills you take. I get horrid seasickness. Funny since cruising is my favorite way to travel! We are cruising in Oct and I'd love to get something to try out beforehand.

For years, I did the generic version of Dramamin non drowsy. Still made me drowsy. Last cruise I did the ginger pills. I varied between 1 or 2 per day.

They seemed to work.

You can buy them at Walmart, Wagreens, etc.

You can buy generic ginger tabs in any health food, pharmacy, Walmart, Wlagreens

There is also a Gravol version that is way more expensive than the generic. Also suggest that if your not too keen on the taste of ginger don't buy the chewable ones.

I start to take them only a day before and also try to eat green apple onboard daily.

For years, I did the generic version of Dramamin non drowsy. Still made me drowsy. Last cruise I did the ginger pills. I varied between 1 or 2 per day.

They seemed to work.

You can buy them at Walmart, Wagreens, etc.

Try Bonine, it doesn't make you sleepy at all. I cannot take Dramamine because it makes me very sleepy and cranky but Bonine works great and I am not tired.

I took 2 a day starting 3 days prior to sail and also for 2 days more; after that 1 a day till eventfully none. Worked like a charm, and we had hit some rough waters with very high waves. Also, if you drink a lot of liquids - eat a lot of breads/crackers to absorb the liquid so its not sloshing around in yr stomach and cause seasickness :p

I take two ginger pills with breakfast and two with dinner starting three days before the cruise. I know that some people need to continue after the cruise, but I am fine with stopping at the end of the cruise. I would imagine that the more severe your seasickness, the longer total duration you'd need to take them for.

We take the non drowsy pills (generic Bonine) they give out out guest services...they work great, and we drink without problems when taking them. Also pretzels work good too. Thats the reason you always see them at the buffet( plus they are soooo good)

Safe sailing

I usually start taking them the day we are leaving. I take 1 per day. I also pack ginger snap cookies to snack on during the week. I have no idea if this is also helpful, but I have never been seasick, and I get motion sickness pretty bad at amusement parks, etc...

We take the non drowsy pills (generic Bonine) they give out out guest services...they work great, and we drink without problems when taking them. Also pretzels work good too. Thats the reason you always see them at the buffet( plus they are soooo good)

Safe sailing

Do they give these pills out for free at guest services?

It's our first cruise so not sure how we will feel. We're going to Alaska from Vancouver on Sept 22nd.

I usually start with 3 ginger capsules the day before and the first day of the cruise, then down to 1-2 each day of the cruise, depending one shore excursions. I stop when the cruise is over.

They really do work wonders for me.:)

I take two upon boarding the ship. Then throughout the cruise if I feel any movement of the ship at all, I take two more. I also carry crystalized ginger (sold in the produce section with the dehydrated apricots, bananas, nuts, etc.) and eat that to try to get what I feel is instant relief since I am eating it and not swallowing the capsule. A Mythbusters show was done on motion sickness and ginger was the only thing they tried that worked.

I take two upon boarding the ship. Then throughout the cruise if I feel any movement of the ship at all, I take two more. I also carry crystalized ginger (sold in the produce section with the dehydrated apricots, bananas, nuts, etc.) and eat that to try to get what I feel is instant relief since I am eating it and not swallowing the capsule. A Mythbusters show was done on motion sickness and ginger was the only thing they tried that worked.

Crystallized Ginger is by far the best to bring. I also supplement it with Ginger Ale that has a spot or two of Rye Whiskey included. ;)

cheers...the Ump...:D

I don't get seasick, but my wife has used the wristbands. They pressure point your wrist, but just make sure that you wear both and follow the instructions for placement. She has used Travel Eze brand with excellent results. They say one size fits all, but larger wrists could be a bit tight. If you want more testimonials, read some reviews on Amazon. If I got seasick I would give them a try for the price.

The only time I get seasick is when I scuba dive right after getting back in the boat. I started using Triptone motion sickness pills and never got seasick while diving plus they never made me drowsey. Triptone isn't made anymore but CVS has the same thing under their brand. Just make sure that you get the motion sickness tablets that have Dimenhydrinate 50mg as the active ingredient and not the Dramamine equivalent tablets.

I get very sick on cruises and amusement rides. I have tried Bonine but even though they are non drowsy I find that they make me sleepy. I tried ginger pills at Islands of Adventures Harry Potter ride which I had ridden before and was sick for hours after and was stunned at how I could ride the ride with my eyes open and no sickness! So I just went on the POA and took 1 ginger pill with food 3 x a day........(I believe this was what the package recommended). I had no problems all week! I started the pills when I got on the ship and stopped when I got home. (I thought I would keep it going while on my flight home just in case that ride got bumpy as it was kind of bumpy going in to Maui and I was a little sick!) I bought my ginger pills at Walgreens. I also bought some ginger gum but never ended up using it.